GOG Lets You Reclaim Your Games For Free With No DRM

HardOCP News

[H] News
I just realized that, if you have a game key for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, or Call of Pripyat, you can download a DRM-free version from GOG for free. Thanks to fightingfi for the heads up.

There are countless retail games out there that don’t work for various reasons: unsupported types of DRM, system incompatibilities, broken features. There's too many too count. Starting today, owners of several retail titles originally sold with DRM can get a digital copy of their game completely free at GOG.com: with no DRM as always, compatible with modern operating systems, and with plenty of goodies to boot.

Wait. Seriously free? I'm gonna have to check that out if so. That's amazing.

Nice! I have the first two on disc, and never re-bought on Steam. I occasionally use GOG too, so I might just do this. I refuse to use optical media for gaming these days, and would love to play these again sometime.

I can verify it worked with my Steam keys for all 3 Stalker games.

Well I'll be, this is awesome!

GOG is pretty cool and this is a great way for them to get our attention.

Lets hope we all remember them when we're looking to play old games so they stick around for awhile...

What about all those bootleg keys on the internet. Do they have a way to differentiate between the compromised keys and the good keys?

What about all those bootleg keys on the internet. Do they have a way to differentiate between the compromised keys and the good keys?

I suspect that once you "redeem" a key it's locked to your GOG account and can't be used by others. So if you're looking for a free copy of an old game you should move quickly.

Best open world shooters made,shame Call of Pripyat is probably the last official entry we'll see.

Stalker made on a Farcry or Unreal engine would be enough to give you PTSD. great games, dark as hell, scary as hell, hard as hell if you tried to rush it. in mother Russia, PTSD gives you video games.

Stalker made on a Farcry or Unreal engine would be enough to give you PTSD. great games, dark as hell, scary as hell, hard as hell if you tried to rush it. in mother Russia, PTSD gives you video games.

heh. speaking of PTSD I long for the day of the first STALKER type survival horror game that's VR enabled. Seems like that day is fast approaching as Valve is giving Vive VR headsets to developers for free. shouldn't be long.

heh. speaking of PTSD I long for the day of the first STALKER type survival horror game that's VR enabled. Seems like that day is fast approaching as Valve is giving Vive VR headsets to developers for free. shouldn't be long.

Can you imagine doing some of those X Labs in VR? Probably have a rash of heart attacks.

Back