Xbox One Gets An Over-The-Air TV Tuner

MS needs to add support for the hd homerun prime, then they will have a real solution. Simply add a usb drive for DVR storage.

Why? Most TV's have digital tuners in them. I'd hope that if you're dropping $349 on a gamin system, you'd have a decent TV with a digital tuner already built in.

So what's the point? You can plug the antenna into your TV and watch, or you can buy an extra device to plug the antenna into, and then turn on the TV and the Xbox to surf. Seems stupid. More devices to control, more power being wasted. I don't get it.

Good news for us OTA folks. Bad news for my wife that can't figure out how to use the damn thing. RIght now, I have the Xbox One for Sling, Netflix, Hulu and stream from the server. I have a stand alone OTA tuner for other channels. Would be nice to consolidate.

The Xbox One is a great console. Gaming, media features... It's nice.

More support is always great (HD Homerun), but they seem to be trickling in a lot. Every update seems to bring in something else cool. Would have been nice to have some of this at launch, but I don't mind that I'm constantly getting nice (free) updates. I'll wait for the Microsoft branded device rather than rushing out and buying the current one.

Why? Most TV's have digital tuners in them. I'd hope that if you're dropping $349 on a gamin system, you'd have a decent TV with a digital tuner already built in.

Projector didn't come with one. Receiver doesn't have one. So, I need to go with a separate component.

Does this have dvr functionality? The 30 min pause feature implies that it might. The fact that it's Microsoft, implies that it won't.

Looks like the 30 minute pause to start with. I'm sure they will add more functionality as time goes on.

Considering that MS tried to sell XBone as an "entertainment device" and not a gaming console, this should come as no surprise.

Seems pretty neat and I guess the pause feature would be nice but no one else in my house would know how to use it and that kinda kills it a little for me. I may still give it a try when I can.

Just get a tablo. Best network dvr I have used by far. It requires an external hd and will stream to roku/amazon/ios devices. It's pretty freaking awesome and guide is $5/month. I used to use a tivo but this blows it away in terms of support for multiple tvs, and having a lifetime membership for your account (not device) for $150. I have 3 apple tvs, a roku3, and a firestick. Works awesome on the roku's and I can airplay to the apple tv flawlessly from my ipad.

I have had the ChannelMaster DVR+ plus a 3 TB hard drive for the past year and use the XBox for streaming HBO+, Netflix, etc. This would have been an interesting option back then, but I have grown to love the dual tuners and the programming guide is free unlike other options I researched. I can't imagine giving that up for this now.

Considering that MS tried to sell XBone as an "entertainment device" and not a gaming console, this should come as no surprise.

That was just poor marketing. It is a gaming console that doubles as an entertainment hub.

Well, I have had this ability since the summer of 2014. I am using a tuner that is plugged into the hdmi in port. I was not aware of the new streaming ability though so I will have to check that out. :)

So what's the point? You can plug the antenna into your TV and watch, or you can buy an extra device to plug the antenna into, and then turn on the TV and the Xbox to surf. Seems stupid. More devices to control, more power being wasted. I don't get it.

The WHY is that you can't control your TV with your Xbox. If you have a cable box, satellite receiver or something like that you can use the built in TV feature to change channels, get to the guide.. you can't do that if you don't have a separate device. The idea is you run everything through the Xbox One to have it control everything. So to do that you need extra hardware. Which I did find controlling my set top box through the one to be a neat feature. With the Kinnect all I had to do was say Go to USA and it would change to USA, or go to HBO and it go to HBO. Now the feature did need more work to be able to tell it a certain channel which they might have added now. I haven't had tv service in a year so I don't know how the feature has improved since then other than adding in trending shows and stuff like that to the guide.

this is shit... last year they release the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner in the UK and Europe. Why the hell are they screwing with their largest market and making us go through 3rd part devices :| . It's nice that they are making steps to OTA here in North America but common why couldn't the have release a US and Canada version of the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner ?? http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/xbox-one-digital-tv-tuner

Not a bad move for MS considering the growing popularity of cord cutting. The ability to control the channels and navigate a guide is probably a large selling point for cord cutters. I cut the cord about 2 years ago because I just don't watch TV, but when I do I definitely miss having a guide and I'm not typically too motivated to look on the internet so having it integrated is definitely nice.

People would probably fall all over it if it could act as a DVR.

This is being aimed at Millennials, not boomers. Millennials don't own TVs and so this adds a tuner to their monitors so that they can watch TV without having to buy an actual TV. They also want to create their own channel line up, etc which is one reason why Roku is so popular. Over the Top, Cord Cutting, whatever you call it, hate it or love it, this is the right move for MS for the future.

MS needs to add support for the hd homerun prime, then they will have a real solution. Simply add a usb drive for DVR storage.

Add DVR functionality, and this is a winner, but that'd require multiple tuners too. I'm not sure about the hubbub about an antenna. I'm pretty sure you can build a quality antenna with wood, screws and wire coat hangers.

My over the air signal goes into my DirectTV which is play gged into my Xbox One. I already record OTA through the DirectTV DVR.

This is being aimed at Millennials, not boomers. Millennials don't own TVs and so this adds a tuner to their monitors so that they can watch TV without having to buy an actual TV. They also want to create their own channel line up, etc which is one reason why Roku is so popular. Over the Top, Cord Cutting, whatever you call it, hate it or love it, this is the right move for MS for the future.

I can't say that I've ever seen a console hooked up to a monitor in real life, only TV's and maybe a few projectors. I supposed it's possible I missed a few, but I used to visit hundreds to thousands of homes per year professionally.

Yes...I would have thought that Microsoft's drubbing at the hands of the PS4 would have taught the company something about what people want in a *gaming* console...(hint: not a set-top box!)...but maybe they haven't learned yet--even having to practically give xBones away to sell them these days (and they still can't catch the PS4. Of course, PCs handily outsell in a month what the PS4 and the XBone combined have sold since launch!) If people want OTA digital TV reception they should buy the appropriate TV and/or tuner, and I think most will do exactly that.

Yes...I would have thought that Microsoft's drubbing at the hands of the PS4 would have taught the company something about what people want in a *gaming* console...(hint: not a set-top box!)...but maybe they haven't learned yet--even having to practically give xBones away to sell them these days (and they still can't catch the PS4. Of course, PCs handily outsell in a month what the PS4 and the XBone combined have sold since launch!) If people want OTA digital TV reception they should buy the appropriate TV and/or tuner, and I think most will do exactly that.

Oh good, I could then go back to playing the game: Grab the remote. Why would I want to have to switch between inputs on my TV back and forth when I can leave it on HDMI 2 and then select what I want to use all through my XBox One? Also, can you stream live OTA TV to a device of your choice using the built in tuner on the TV?

Oh, and PC's outselling the consoles in a month does not mean anything. After all, most of those are going to be crappy, low end machines that cannot do what the consoles can do. (I am an IT professional and want PC's to sell but that comparison what just......)

I can't say that I've ever seen a console hooked up to a monitor in real life, only TV's and maybe a few projectors. I supposed it's possible I missed a few, but I used to visit hundreds to thousands of homes per year professionally.
My 360 was hooked up to monitors via VGA for years.

That said, even with the ubiquity of HDMI (making every [new] console compatible out of the box with every HDMI-capable monitor), it's still likely a very uncommon usage scenario. There's just no reason not to buy a decent-sized HDTV with tuner and hook your console(s) up to it; they're too cheap to skip.

My 360 was hooked up to monitors via VGA for years.

That said, even with the ubiquity of HDMI (making every [new] console compatible out of the box with every HDMI-capable monitor), it's still likely a very uncommon usage scenario. There's just no reason not to buy a decent-sized HDTV with tuner and hook your console(s) up to it; they're too cheap to skip.

But you, like just about every else, are over looking the use here.

This has nothing to do with the TV tuner being in your tv vs the console. It is being able to make use of the TV functionality you get with your Xbox One if you have a set top box. If you don't have a set top box then you are unable to use these features. So for those people that own an xbox one AND want to make sure of this feature set that current is unavailable to those without a set top box that can be controlled by the system this is the solution.

You are basically trying to argue a truck w/ a trailer hitch and a RV. If somebody wants to buy a RV they can buy an RV, if they want to buy a truck with a trailer hitch and a camper they can do that. The choice is up to you based on what your use and needs are.

If somebody want to use the Kinnect with their system they can use it, fuck whoever want to bitch and cry and moan that people use one. If you don't want to use a Kinnect then don't use one, there is nothing wrong with those that do. If you don't want to connect a set top box (or tuner) to your Xbox one and not have to change inputs on your tv to go between tv and gaming. Or want to do a side by side of tv and your game, then don't. But those that want to can use that feature since it is there if they want to.

But you, like just about every else, are over looking the use here.
No, I'm not. I was only commenting on the "console hooked up to monitor" issue. I like the idea of the Xbox One tuner and if I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell that I could get reception in my apartment, I'd buy it when it was released.

In short, don't attribute opinions to me unless I give at least some indication I hold them. Thanks!

No, I'm not. I was only commenting on the "console hooked up to monitor" issue. I like the idea of the Xbox One tuner and if I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell that I could get reception in my apartment, I'd buy it when it was released.

In short, don't attribute opinions to me unless I give at least some indication I hold them. Thanks!

Assuming you have a TV with a tuner (or a separate tuner), build an antenna with coat hangers If it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks. From what I've read, they work well, but I have no first hand experience. Note I didn't check this specific video. I distinctly recall videos making very simple ugly ones (that apparently worked well when tossed behind a TV) and ones that were more elaborate and mounted outside. Ultimately, it's just a UHF antenna. If you don't mind spending a few bucks (assuming you don't have the wood, screws and sandpaper), it might be worth trying.

Assuming you have a TV with a tuner (or a separate tuner), build an antenna with coat hangers If it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks. From what I've read, they work well, but I have no first hand experience. Note I didn't check this specific video. I distinctly recall videos making very simple ugly ones (that apparently worked well when tossed behind a TV) and ones that were more elaborate and mounted outside. Ultimately, it's just a UHF antenna. If you don't mind spending a few bucks (assuming you don't have the wood, screws and sandpaper), it might be worth trying.

Might depend on how far you are from the towers. I know people that had used existing rabbit ears with luck if close to the tower, but go 35 miles further out and they needed better equipment to get signal

Or, I could try out an actual indoor antenna, which I've done, which didn't work. I wasn't just guessing that I would have a hard time getting OTA signals.

Back