The Internet Makes TV Reruns Less Valuable

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is your business model old and broken? Blame the internet! That's what everyone else is doing.

Blame Amazon, YouTube and the rest of the Internet. That’s part of the message Viacom sent out today, when it announced it was taking a $750 million restructuring charge as part of a “strategic realignment,” which includes firing a lot of people.

Nope.

Absolute GARBAGE television programming made TV shows hard to watch. Who would want to see them again?

As far as I can tell it really only applied to "Reality Shows" which can all get cancelled as far as I'm concerned. So tired of hearing about complete shit reality shows.

Ignoring the issue of reality shows being utter garbage to begin with...

Why in the hell would anyone ever want to watch re-runs of them?

Reality game shows: You already know the outcome, there's no surprise or drama to be had.
Reality pimping shows: Pimping cars, houses, teaching someone how to dress, exercise and eat... you already know the outcome. Hell, you knew what the first 3/4 of the show was going to be like and the only reason anyone watched them was for the big reveal at the end.
Reality job shows: Car repos, pawn shop sales, auctions... did anyone care enough about these in the first place? They always appeared to be the phoniest looking of them.
Reality drama shows: Yeah, because I'm bored I want to watch a 5 year old episode of Jersey Shore... said no one ever.

This has nothing to do with the internet, it's people finally realizing that fewer people are watching that garbage because you can only be entertained so long by Gordon Ramsay cussing someone out over risotto, or some douchebags arguing over what shirts to wear for so long. Viacom(and a few other companies) only stuck with this crap because it cost next to nothing to produce.

The ultimate question is what is the future of classic TV? The era of preset channel lineups and schedules looks very much in decline and on its way out over the next decade or so with a la carte on demand streaming becoming the norm.

Regular shows suck (with a few exceptions).

Reality TV? The only reality TV I am going to watch is sports. I don't need to tune into watch women arguing with each other. I get enough of that crap at work.

Re-runs are not doing well because they were shit to begin with.

Reality shows aren't worth watching when they're new, so I'm not sure why anyone would care about reruns.

There was a big push for Reality shows a few years ago because of the writer's strike and because they were cheap to produce. But what people are watching these days are high quality scripted shows with long story arcs on cable channels, like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and Better Call Saul. And in a lot of cases they're binge watching whole seasons with the help of Netflix, Amazon, and video on demand. No one cares about reruns of shitty reality shows.

I re-watch excellent TV shows all the time.

Banshee
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Walking Dead

Reality TV is not excellent TV.

Adapt or die. Why don't they do something about those long annoying commercials first, so they don't annoy people.

I re-watch excellent TV shows all the time.

Banshee
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Walking Dead

Reality TV is not excellent TV.

I'd never heard of Banshee until now. Thanks.

Agreed on the other 3 choices. Shows with talented actors, skilled directors and creative writers are worth watching. Go figure.

Agreed on the other 3 choices. Shows with talented actors, skilled directors and creative writers are worth watching. Go figure.
Banshee is spectacular!! Catch it on Cinemax/Max GO.

All those residual checks not so fat anymore Hollywood? How sad for you. You can't just fill out a show with seasons of crap and wait for idiots to watch re-runs like you use to.

The sooner traditional TV dies the better off we'll be.

This is going to sound stupendously lazy. But there are times I miss being able to sit down and let someone else pick what I'm going to see, rather than having to actively go pick a series, season and episode I'm going to watch. Or just seeing a classic movie on as I flip through the channels.

I do find myself reading more books since I ditched cable though. When you have to actively find your own content, books/movies/tv/music are on a much more equal footing than flipping channels.

Banshee is completely ridiculous and it is awesome! I especially enjoy how badass everyone is.

The IT Crowd is one of my favorite shows and I watch that show every now and then.
Red Dwarf is another that I'll watch occasionally.

Only reason I'm still stuck with cable, is that some of the wife's shows are not available online. Some of them are available through streaming, but only live streaming, which means you actually have to sit and watch the show (and the commercials) while it's on. We haven't done that since the 90's when I got my first DVR. We generally record everything and then watch it a few days/weeks later when we get around to it. That's the main advantage of traditional broadcasts and a DVR, you can record the shows you want to watch, then skip the commercials when you watch them later. My current HTPC has a 4TB drive dedicated to TV shows, so we don't have to worry much about running out of room, even if the kids record an all day marathon of some show :)

Can't wait until the few holdouts finally make their shows available on something like Hulu (don't care if its a few weeks after they air, we just don't want to wait 2-3 years)

Can't wait until the few holdouts finally make their shows available on something like Hulu (don't care if its a few weeks after they air, we just don't want to wait 2-3 years)

All I'll tell you is Sonarr, SABnzbd, Couchpotato, can research the rest on your won but that will get you were you want to be in that regard ;)

This is going to sound stupendously lazy. But there are times I miss being able to sit down and let someone else pick what I'm going to see, rather than having to actively go pick a series, season and episode I'm going to watch. Or just seeing a classic movie on as I flip through the channels.

I do find myself reading more books since I ditched cable though. When you have to actively find your own content, books/movies/tv/music are on a much more equal footing than flipping channels.

I keep telling people, why bother working so hard to download shows from the interwebs, when the media companies are beaming content directly to my house! On the other hand, you could just watch whatever Netflix recommends (not that I think that's a great idea)

I keep telling people, why bother working so hard to download shows from the interwebs, when the media companies are beaming content directly to my house! On the other hand, you could just watch whatever Netflix recommends (not that I think that's a great idea)

Netflix even shows you star ratings based on what it's algorithms think you would think of the thing. Not star ratings from ACTUAL reviews! whoo! I mean, if that isn't telling you what to watch, I dunno what other service is!

They want to beat you over the head with what they want to give you, not what you want.

I and somehow my DVR missed the last to episodes or archer, one of them was only a week ago. Yeah, it's not re-airing anytime soon and the marathon they are going to have soon is of last season. More than likely I could see it in FX's app but that isn't how I'd like to watch it.

Because when your internet connection goes down everyone in the house that can't stream will start to panic. However the guy with the HTPC can just stream all his local content throughout the whole house while waiting for the internet to come backup.

So its a win win.

Hmm, I can spend hours of my life watching crappy rerun that I've already seen and know the outcome, or I can do something productive with my time/life. It's a tough choice...

Because when your internet connection goes down everyone in the house that can't stream will start to panic. However the guy with the HTPC can just stream all his local content throughout the whole house while waiting for the internet to come backup.

So its a win win.

Not to mention, my collection of media has a lot of content that you can't just watch from the Internet...

Dear Viacom, reality TV shows never had any value past their initial run, and then the only value was to commercial buyers.

As far as I can tell it really only applied to "Reality Shows" which can all get cancelled as far as I'm concerned. So tired of hearing about complete shit reality shows.

They are extremely cheap to produce in relation to other shows.

My wife just watched 20+ seasons of Survivor on Netflix. WTF?! I didn't even know they had that many seasons. I also didn't know you could binge watch those shows day in and day out... :/ I couldn't do it. Not for a couple weeks, all day, every day....

TV show quality on the major networks has dipped to an all time low IMHO.
A "season" is now 8 to 10 episodes sometimes. Over the Christmas break reruns last
6 weeks. The acting is so, so. Reality shows stink, we know there staged
for maximum effect. It's very apparent that the major networks are cutting costs.

When I watch shows from the 70's, 80's and 90's I see quality, lots
of shows and real plots with action. Not so today.

To get what I want I need HBO and the like.
I have 300+ channels and nothing to watch, and it cost me plenty.

TV sucks for the most part.

Back