After Refit, Large Hadron Collider Resumes Hunt for New Higgs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I hope the scientists at CERN have better luck than restarting a refrigerator that has been down for two years. :D The Large Hadron Collider was restarted today after a two-year maintenance downtime and will continue on looking for more evidence of Higgs Boson, dark matter and other mysteries of the universe.

Once it begins, CERN plans to turn up the intensity of the beams, stuff more protons into each of the bundles that circulate, and stuff more bundles per second into the accelerator. All that has the effect of increasing the number of collisions, which means it's more likely physicists can spot unlikely events that show what's going on.

Or maybe the will open up a black hole this time and destroy the world.

Or maybe they will all mutate and it will start the zombie apocalypse.

Or maybe it will bring beings from another dimension and we will all be enslaved.

Or maybe the will open up a black hole this time and destroy the world.

Or maybe they will all mutate and it will start the zombie apocalypse.

Or maybe it will bring beings from another dimension and we will all be enslaved.

Or maybe you watch too much television.

Every time I read about the LHC I am reminded of what human beings can accomplish when we work together. I wish we regaled our top scientific minds like we do celebrities, their impact on the progress of the species is incalculable and usually only seen decades after their death...unless this upgrade results in the production of a singularity that precedes to swallow the solar system. In which case their will be now one around to marvel at my ironic statement. :)

I love a good bowl of serious now and then, but only in moderation. :D

Anyway, good news on the LHC starting back up.

Nah, makes me look forward to the Gigantic Boson Collider. :cool:

Back