These Are All the Steam Machines Coming in 2015

These steam machines will be great if you can set up the UI to work seamlessly with HTPC software like Kodi with a gamepad.

Interesting that the Alienware Alpha runs a custom UI on top of Windows, one designed for use with a controller. A user can access basic Windows options without having to access the desktop.

I thought MS wouldn't allow an OEM to ship a device with a customized, controller-friendly UI on top of Windows? I was told over and over by the Steam OS believers that MS would never let a manufacturer create a custom UI for a gaming oriented box, as it would undermine the Xbox. Thus, that was why we needed the desktop environment flexibility of Linux.

At this point, I struggle to come up with one valid reason as to why a gaming console should run on Linux rather than Windows. It seems the only argument the Steam OS crowd has in favor of Linux is that MS is lame and Valve is cool.

TechRadar finally getting around to reporting on GDC, which was a month ago. Nothing to see here.

At this point, I struggle to come up with one valid reason as to why a gaming console should run on Linux rather than Windows.
There be only one valid reason: SteamOS be free and Windows costs doubloons, save it come with the PC or ye find other options... ayyyy!

There be only one valid reason: SteamOS be free and Windows costs doubloons, save it come with the PC or ye find other options... ayyyy!
Of course now, there's no need to board that paticular galleon with Windows 10 being free, matey.

The perceived advantages of Linux over Windows for gaming are disappearing every day, assuming they even existed in the first place.

The perceived advantages of Linux over Windows for gaming are disappearing every day, assuming they even existed in the first place.
I always thought it was more of a bluff than anything, so MS would get their ass in gear and not even think of restricting people to using the MS store to buy only "verified" applications as some were afraid might happen (so that MS could accordingly get a pound of flesh for everyone else's work).

I really am not interested on the steam machine anymore. I might try the controller though. aside from that I really don't see its purpose anymore with DX12 going lower level on the API level as mantle, Microsoft finally listening to its userbase and hopefully fix Gabe's only primary complain with Windows 8/8.1 (Which is the App store) and maybe some other more things.

The only reason for is for going linux would be it's free and of course power users who wan't linux just for the "I can" factor. but I don't honestly see Windows being that unrealistically expensive.

So I dunno about the steamOS anymore.

I always thought it was more of a bluff than anything, so MS would get their ass in gear and not even think of restricting people to using the MS store to buy only "verified" applications as some were afraid might happen (so that MS could accordingly get a pound of flesh for everyone else's work).
The only person fearful that MS would lock down Windows and start restricting users to only those apps that were "approved" was the CEO of Valve. How someone could be so isolated from reality that they would believe such nonsense is beyond me. I guess that's what happens when your only source of outside-the-tech-bubble information is conspiratorial minded Reddit posters. Valve needs to seriously stop letting the Internets guide their business decisions.

They didn't bluff. They freaked out over nothing.

I really am not interested on the steam machine anymore.
But remember, there's no Steam machine that you can't just install windows on, and the marketing they have done can help the SFF computer niche.

Of course those of us in the SFF subforum have been doing this for years, but true manufacturer proprietary designs can be made smaller than DIY since you can design around specific components with millimeter precision.

Of course now, there's no need to board that paticular galleon with Windows 10 being free, matey.

Windows 10 isn't going to be free for everyone, because a lot of individuals don't use legit Windows copies. SteamOS definitely still has a place, and if nothing else, Vulkan will kick some serious butt. DX12? Good for the first bit until Microsoft gets lazy and doesn't do it justice anymore.

I'm thinking it is going to take a little while into 2016 for SteamOS to get in the right spot, but it will get there sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty interested in SteamBox and what it will do to the development landscape as a platform. Linux has been gaining traction with little weird jabs from companies either developing for Linux from the start as a platform, or developers coming back to products and re-releasing a Linux port. Red Barrels for example with Outlast.

From an adoption standpoint though...these things are too expensive. Nobody wants a beast for a steambox. They would just buy a really good computer, or convert the one they have and install steamOS.

These things should be competitively priced, or a tier that is from every manufacturer, that leverages it's position as a supplemental gaming platform and can stream from the 'beast' in the house to a different room, if the OS does not support a title, or the hardware isn't good enough.

Most of these things are ugly, overpriced, overkill. That's not the way to get this going with a bang. A barebones APU machine with the proper number of inputs and nothing else should be available from every manufacturer that can actually provide custom pcb layouts and small form factors that look aesthetically pleasing and unassuming. $350.

Nobody is going to a steam machine from nothing. They have a computer already. You gotta get in as a supplemental platform and leverage the streaming factor. Once this platform games traction and proprietary linux games or joint linux development of games becomes a thing, you can target the high, enthusiast end. This approach from most of the companies doesn't make sense.

The only person fearful that MS would lock down Windows and start restricting users to only those apps that were "approved" was the CEO of Valve. How someone could be so isolated from reality that they would believe such nonsense is beyond me. I guess that's what happens when your only source of outside-the-tech-bubble information is conspiratorial minded Reddit posters. Valve needs to seriously stop letting the Internets guide their business decisions.

They didn't bluff. They freaked out over nothing.

They used it as a marketing ploy, built roads out of straw (or whatever) and had a cynical tirade about how a store should NEVER receive a portion of the profits (kind of like steam).

Anyways, it worked and he got his OS awareness out there.

Most of these things are ugly, overpriced, overkill. That's not the way to get this going with a bang. A barebones APU machine with the proper number of inputs and nothing else should be available from every manufacturer that can actually provide custom pcb layouts and small form factors that look aesthetically pleasing and unassuming. $350.
I always build my own machines, but for SFF, you can't beat this anymore than you can build your own Intel NUC using off the shelf desktop parts:
Intel Core i3-4130T Dual-Core CPU
4GB DDR3L
500GB HDD
Alpha chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 (customized GTX 860)
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 1x1
Windows 8.1
$399

Look how big it makes a PS4 look:
fcifbgd7qunqf9qqvoac.jpg

I completely agree with Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-alienware-alpha-spec-analysis

Its a good value at $550. At $400, its a steal, and that's why it has over 100 thumbs up on the slickdeals thread. If you are looking for a small and silent HTPC that has reasonable GPU power, this is the first offering I can really think of like it since the Dell Zino HD (another old favorite of mine from way back in the day).

And here you can see more or less the same system (in theory the custom GTX 860 should be a tick faster):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0v4VJu4_M4

But it's the chassis that's the star of the show, and a major factor in any purchasing decision. The Alpha is miniscule and discrete, comparing favourably with ultra-compact mini-ITX PCs, but with significantly more CPU and GPU horsepower under the bonnet. It's also well geared towards living room integration in a way that many PCs aren't, thanks to the inclusion of an HDMI input, presumably for set-top box passthrough. Our overall impression is that this isn't going to be the games PC for everyone, but what we've seen looks quite promising.
Not going to replace a primary powerful gaming rig, but can certainly exceed Xbox/PS4 capabilities, work with your entire Windows game library, and is smaller, quieter, and cooler running/more power efficient than a PS4.

I like the Gigabyte BRIX Pro too, even though its not quite as powerful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYfwFSvM_w

BTW, I found a good comparison of the Alpha vs Xbone, and cliffs notes is that the Alpha owns it showing that APUs aren't necessarily superior to traditional efficient CPU dedicated GPU options in performance OR in power use (the dedicated setup is actually more power/heat efficient):
https://youtu.be/DYTgfZ81nYY?t=4m2s

Titanfall:
Xbox One: 792p @ 60fps
Alpha: 1080p @ 60fps

I'm eagerly following SteamOS and Vulkan. The first batch of games coming later this year might well setup the stage on how this week pan out in the early stages anyway.

I'm eagerly following SteamOS and Vulkan. The first batch of games coming later this year might well setup the stage on how this week pan out in the early stages anyway.
But why though? Linux drivers aren't nearly as mature, and tests have shown that all else equal you get lower performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskBEAqv9TE

But more importantly, you can keep your absolutely massive gaming library for Windows, so if you want to bust out the latest Halflife2 or Skyrim mod, or Starcraft, or Fallout New Vegas, or Cities Skylines, or heck even old classics like Sid Meiers Pirates! you can.

But why though? Linux drivers aren't nearly as mature, and tests have shown that all else equal you get lower performance.

But more importantly, you can keep your absolutely massive gaming library for Windows, so if you want to bust out the latest Halflife2 or Skyrim mod, or Starcraft, or Fallout New Vegas, or Cities Skylines, or heck even old classics like Sid Meiers Pirates! you can.

I agree. Its going to be hard to break out of windows at this point.

Is that a vent or a cartridge slot on the one in the news post? :D

Because WHY NOT though. SteamOS isn't targeting PC gamers with massive Windows backlogs. It's planting a seed in the console space. And when a new console launches how much backward compatibility does IT have? Zero. XBONE and PS4 launched with new bad bones libraries starting over. SteamOS however will only have that issue while getting started, not throughout its life so eventually it has every reason to surpass the traditional idiotbox consoles from MS and Sony.

PS: Cities Skylines is already on linux.

For those that missed the last Alienware Alpha sale, its back with a new code: +147 thumbs up on Slickdeals.

They are really fast shipping, mine actually arrived yesterday, but it required signature on delivery so I missed it.

Back