Can I output video from a dedicated PhysX card?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, here's my quandry. I currently have 3 Titans and I'm interested in picking up a Samsung 4k TV with 4:4:4 support. With the Titans I can only get 4k@60Hz 4:2:0.

Would I be able to add a 960 as a dedicated PhysX card and that way I'll get HDMI 2.0 support? Or would it just output PhysX enabled games? Or nothing at all.

Not even sure my PSU can handle it, but just a question.

Since no one else is responding.. none at all.

Looks like ur only option is Titan x sli for 4k.

or get a Display Port Display like the Seiki pro series and Bypass HDMI altogether.

A "dedicated PhysX card" is just another video card. I used my PhysX card for my second monitor the whole time it was installed.

However, I don't have firsthand experience with SLI. I'm not sure what the options are for routing video out a card that's not part of the SLI cluster (back in my day, SLI involved a pair of 3D cards with a VGA jumper to your 2D card). I'm assuming that the video coming out of the SLI cluster has to come out of one of those cards in the cluster. I think you'd end up with your fancy new TV acting only as your secondary monitor.

This is interesting. I configured one of my 3 Titans as a dedicated PhysX card and I still had video output from it (I did still have all 3 cards SLI bridged). I will try only bridging 2 of the cards and using the unbridged one as the dedicated PhysX card and see what happens.

At worst I will live with 4:2:0 until either the 390x or 980Ti is released.

For gaming output with SLI and multi monitors all monitors are to be hooked up to the first main card. Now sure you can do multi monitors and have the monitors connected to separate cards I believe but not all cards are going to work together in SLI and shoot the single picture out of the lesser card. You can only SLI cards of the same model.

For gaming output with SLI and multi monitors all monitors are to be hooked up to the first main card. Now sure you can do multi monitors and have the monitors connected to separate cards I believe but not all cards are going to work together in SLI and shoot the single picture out of the lesser card. You can only SLI cards of the same model.

I'm not going to SLI the 960, that's the whole point. I'm going to run it as a PhysX card, which Nvidia's drivers supports.

Yes but I thought u were expecting the other 3 titans to output there SLI video signal out of the 960 with its better video output connection?

Yes. I'll unbridge 1 Titan and see what happens.

You can probably use the GTX 960 for outputting the Windows desktop so you can actually make out the fine detail at 4k when you're not gaming, but I don't think you'll be able to pass-through the SLI-generated video frames from the Titan cards. You would probably have to hook the cards up to two separate HDMI inputs on your television, and just switch between them manually.

And that's really too bad...

Nvidia has supported this for years on notebooks with Optimus. They just pass the completed frames to the Intel IGP over PCIe.

But then I guess they'd rather you bought whole new cards to get those snazzy new features you need, eh? :D

You can probably use the GTX 960 for outputting the Windows desktop so you can actually make out the fine detail at 4k when you're not gaming, but I don't think you'll be able to pass-through the SLI-generated video frames from the Titan cards. You would probably have to hook the cards up to two separate HDMI inputs on your television, and just switch between them manually.

And that's really too bad...

Nvidia has supported this for years on notebooks with Optimus. They just pass the completed frames to the Intel IGP over PCIe.

But then I guess they'd rather you bought whole new cards to get those snazzy new features you need, eh? :D

If that's the case then I'll probably just wait for the 390x or 980Ti to be released. I already ponied up $3k+ for Titans, no way I'll do that again (Titan X).

True, but at least the Kepler Titans have kept their value. That unlocked DP means they still sell for over half the MSRP.

A couple of 980Ti cards shouldn't cost you much more than thesale price for those three.

setSLI.jpg

I asked this question on the Nvidia forums and someone posted back that they're doing just what I want to do, so apparently it's doable.

Now I wonder if my Antec HCP-1200 1200W could handle the load. 4 Videocards, 5+ hard drives and an overclocked CPU might be a bit much for even that PSU.

Back