Record-Shattering, All-Electric 1968 Mustang

HardOCP News

[H] News
If I was going to drop $200K on an electric car, it would definitely be something like this. :cool:

The Zombie 222 produces over 800 horsepower and a mind-numbing 1,800 pounds of torque. Those numbers translate into a 0–60 time of just 2.4 seconds, a remarkable eighth-mile time of 6.8 seconds at 101 mph and an estimated quarter-mile time of 10.7 seconds at 125 mph.

The car ends up doing 174 mph. He seems pretty excited about the speed, the tech but at the end he talks about the new record validating what he is doing and basically says, who wouldn't want an electric muscle car. I've owned a few in my life, I'm 46. a 67' RS Camero and currently own a 70' Superbee Tribute ( Coronet 500 ) with a 426 Hemi Gen2 crate motor / 727 Torqueflight. There is no replacing a beefy loping 426 hemi with an electric motor.

The car ends up doing 174 mph. He seems pretty excited about the speed, the tech but at the end he talks about the new record validating what he is doing and basically says, who wouldn't want an electric muscle car. I've owned a few in my life, I'm 46. a 67' RS Camero and currently own a 70' Superbee Tribute ( Coronet 500 ) with a 426 Hemi Gen2 crate motor / 727 Torqueflight. There is no replacing a beefy loping 426 hemi with an electric motor.

Good point, but with 1800 torque and raw shortline speed, he's got just about everyone beat.

I'm not a Ford guy at all. But I do love the look of the Fastbacks.

Now, if he had modified a 1966 chevy nova ii with that setup. Hell ya.

$200? I would buy a 2016 Hemi Cuda ( rumored ) and maybe try and find me a 70's painted / ladder bar'd Nova with a 427 4-speed that sat up high. Maybe a resto-mod 68 or 69 Road Runner painted B-12 blue with flat black hood and working air grabber.

The nearly instant-on torque delivery of electric cars is certainly conducive to drag racing. How long before we see drag racing bodies like the NHRA or IHRA sanctioning electric dragsters that can compete at the top fuel level?

I'm thinking battery tech has a way to go before we'll see 330 MPH electric dragsters, no?

what records does it shatter? Looking up videos of this thing it looks like it runs 7+ second 1/8 miles and isn't nearly as fast as the "white zombie" electric car that inspired it.

My favorite year of Mustang...if I had the money this would be on my short-list of cars to buy.

And like most Ford cars you see them not moving with the hood popped up...BURRRRN!!!

And I'm out of here :D

Many modern muscle cars with traditional engines these days actually contain hardware that amplifies/simulates louder engine noise to attract people who like that old fashioned feel/sense of nostalgia. There's no reason the same hardware can't be fitted in an electric vehicle if one so chooses, all it's made for is simulating noise and vibrations.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/0...ise-is-the-auto-industrys-dirty-little-secret

so this is what the white zombie guys have been up to?

that 510 has been tearing up PDX for years

See I'm of the absolute opposite opinion.

I can't stand V8's.

That awful gurgling inefficient fishing boat sound drives me nuts. And to me, anything loping, means it's broken and needs to be fixed.

Excess noise, excess vibration, etc. are all just uncivilized raucous things to be shunned.

And why anyone would put it in the objectively HORRIBLE chassis of any 60's or 70s muscle car is beyond me. Those things are so unbalanced they are barely road worthy at all. Not to mention how ugly the bodies are.

When I see any 60s or 70s muscle car, all I see is a beater, no matter the shape they are in, they are - to me - an example of the worst automotive engineering has to offer, and it absolutely blows my mind they are sought after by anyone.

My Mercedes V8 doesn't gurgle or vibrate. But naturally it eats more gas than a ricer.

My Mercedes V8 doesn't gurgle or vibrate. But naturally it eats more gas than a ricer.

Yeah, Mercedes exhaust system engineers have done a great job at hiding the blubbering/gurgeling V8 sound.

The AMG models can sound pretty obnoxious though.

The problem is inherent to the crossplane V8 design.

Flatplane designs don't have this problem (but they have other problems)

How in the world do you put 1800lb-ft of torque to the pavement?

AWD

Too bad the quarter mile is also its battery life lol.

truth

Zarathustra[H];1041522910 said:

I can't stand V8's.

That awful gurgling inefficient fishing boat sound drives me nuts. And to me, anything loping, means it's broken and needs to be fixed.

Excess noise, excess vibration, etc. are all just uncivilized raucous things to be shunned.

And why anyone would put it in the objectively HORRIBLE chassis of any 60's or 70s muscle car is beyond me. Those things are so unbalanced they are barely road worthy at all. Not to mention how ugly the bodies are.

When I see any 60s or 70s muscle car, all I see is a beater, no matter the shape they are in, they are - to me - an example of the worst automotive engineering has to offer, and it absolutely blows my mind they are sought after by anyone.

Well good sir, I can't stand you either! :D

I can't stand V8's.

HAHAHAHAHA. This is funny and I kinda feel sorry for you.

Some of the 60s and 70s muscle cars are pretty ugly, but some are just awesome.

As for vibration, as long as it is just loping at idle, it is fine. This happens because of hotter cams than stock, and there is really nothing you can do about it if you want the performance.

And noise, just depends on the car. Muffling, by the very nature of it, almost always will reduce power because of back pressure.

You would have hated my '76 280z. It had headers with dual pipes all the way back. The mufflers were old Blue Streak glasspacks that had nothing left in them so it was like straight pipes. That thing sounded like a giant crotch rocket. 8k rpms in a tunnel or an underpass was unbelievable.

One of my friends had an old El Camino with a drive train built by a guy that built race cars. That thing was seriously scary fast. It would smoke corvettes without even trying. I only rode in it once or twice, but it was enough to make you want to be packing an extra pair of underwear.

I can't stand V8's.

Loves Harleys tho

I bet decent modern tires make those cars handle just fine. The real problem with them is safety standards. Here's a video with a 1959 Impala vs. a 2009 Impala.

Way to ruin a good old school muscle car. I don't give a shit how fast it is if it sounds like a prius.

I bet decent modern tires make those cars handle just fine. The real problem with them is safety standards. Here's a video with a 1959 Impala vs. a 2009 Impala.

Tires can only go so far to overcome sloppy suspension, rigid rear axles, flexing frames, and ridiculously uneven front to rear weight ratios due to shoehorning old cast iron V8's into the front of a chassis designed for an economic car.

All it takes is a little wet pavement, and hard acceleration to send a old Plymouth Barracuda sideways down the road. Scariest moment of my life.

I'm not a teenager anymore. Loud roaring engines or bright colors don't impress me much (whether on a ricer or a muscle car).

I'd rather have something subtle and subdued, with a near perfect 50-50 weight balance, low center of gravity, stiff suspension and large swaybars, a manual transmission (and possibly a turbo) that handles like a dream (or at least doesn't try to kill me).

I'd take something that gets me no attention at all. I'm not an attention whore, I don't want to be seen, and if I wanted to be noticed, it wouldn't be for my car. I would feel totally obnoxious in a little bright colored loud sports car. Something that still has the handling to make me feel confident in traffic and still is fun enough to drive to put a nice smile on my face when I'm alone in the twisties.

Not drinking gas like it's going out of style would be good too!

That's growing up for you I guess :p

I love it when people compare a v8 to a 6/4 cylinder instead of to another v8

Well, some comparisons are valid. Not all, by any means, but some.

When you can get equal or similar performance, while using less gas and having a better weight balance, why not?

No, there is no comparing a race tuned big block to any 4 cyl engine, but some of those 157hp 4.2L V8 Mustang GT's on the other hand...

If I was going to drop $200K on an electric car, it would definitely be something like this. :cool:

They could have at least had some video of the thing tearing up the track!

This is a pretty cool idea. I love the styling on some of those 60s and 70s muscle cars (2nd Generation Olds 4-4-2 especially). With modernized suspensions, some tweaking under the hood, and a nice set of tires, they can handle like a dream. All of those modifications still won't get you the absurd horsepower and torque of an all-electric setup, though.

They should do this to more old-school vehicles. Extra credit for keeping it a sleeper. Imagine how much fun it would be to pull up alongside someone at a light and dust them when it turns green while being as quiet as all-electric setups can be :D

Amen brutha, amen! And, think of what you could do (restore) with $200k.

...BUT...

I'd definitely go this route versus a mass produced electric car ;)

Why? The range on this thing is likely nil. Why else would he have a "projected" quarter mile time?

Audi/Porsche/BMW have electric supercars coming. For $200k, you can get a Tesla P85D and hack it to do incredible things if you sacrifice range, for half the price.

I'm all for garage builders. But $200k in what? A well-engineered and tested Tesla battery can be had $40k. Motors are not that expensive. You can get a full tube race chassis with z06 suspension setup for $30k. You can get or make a heck of a nice body for less than $20k (K1 Attack has been used for electric before).

Different strokes for different folks.

Imagine what that machine would go like if that power train was in a proper fast car body.

I love muscle cars as much as anyone, hell my work truck is a Power Wagon, but fast cars aren't made of metal.

Of course I'm of the opinion that good cars can't be cool and cool cars are never good.

The main point of all of this is that someone built something other than a Tesla or a Volt. By showing you can make an electric muscle car that can break records from an old fastback it helps to get the "slow and boring" stigma away from electric. By blowing Shelby's record away it's proving that electric has real potential. If the concept of electric racing takes off that means serious improvements in battery and motor tech will be forthcoming. Better tech means lower costs and better efficiency. Lower costs and better efficiency translate into smaller, lighter batteries and motors, reduced overall weight, and longer ranges for production cars, and a price point that's reasonable for consumers. It's not going to convince the diehards to give up their Hellcats and Cobras, but that's not the point. If electric vehicles are ever going to get anywhere as any kind of mass production vehicle that doesn't completely suck or else cost someone's whole life earnings then the industry needs a kick in the face.

Did somebody say "range?"

I drive a 1972 Camaro with a 502ci in it that has 560hp / 580tq and gets about 5mpg with a 17 gallon fuel tank. :D

Ahahaha. I thought my 74 1/2 ton pickup with 454 got bad gas mileage at 10 mpg -- though way worse if you get on it.

I was hoping for a demonstration, but all I got was Hank and Dale babble. Disappoint.

Imagine what that machine would go like if that power train was in a proper fast car body.

I love muscle cars as much as anyone, hell my work truck is a Power Wagon, but fast cars aren't made of metal.

Of course I'm of the opinion that good cars can't be cool and cool cars are never good.

What they really need to make are diesel-electric hybrid work trucks using scaled down train technology. Imagine that 1800 ft-lbs of torque in your truck :D

Ugh. Ugh Ugh Ugh.

Thats just not what muscle cars are about...at all......

Woman: "Oh babe I just LOVE the way you smell like burning electrical components!"

Yah right! Damnit, dudes that drive cars like that are supposed to smell like half burnt fuel, mustache wax and badassery.

Cool technology, but PLEASE keep it out of our old, classic iron. Go mod a segway or something.

oh whoopy fucking do. A video showing a car with a zombie 222 in it (wtf ever) an not track footage of smoking tires and screaming fast speeds. Boring. Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

Back