Microsoft And Seattle Bring Fast, Free Wi-Fi To Seattle Center

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft and the City of Seattle are teaming up to bring fast, free Wi-Fi to people who visit Seattle Center, a spacious city attraction that hosts major festivals and draws tourists from around the world. The pilot program – part of Mayor Ed Murray’s efforts to bring high-speed Internet access to city residents – uses “TV white space” technology, delivering broadband through unused television channels. The new system lets users browse at speeds more than 5,000 times faster than they could before. The program not only benefits the more than 10 million people who visit Seattle Center each year but also “tests new technology that we may be able to deploy to other neighborhoods in the city,” Murray says.

Does anyone even still *go* to the Seattle Center? The last time I was there, it was looking pretty run-down, and that was a long time ago.

Does anyone even still *go* to the Seattle Center? The last time I was there, it was looking pretty run-down, and that was a long time ago.

Yes, people do. The Pompeii thing going on now is pretty decent. Plus, beer festival. King Tut exhibit in 2013. I work fairly near, it gets traffic.

I work just a few blocks away. Yup, lots of people still go there, and lots going on there quite frequently.

Random insecure WiFi? That's sounds so much more enticing than the LTE on my phone I can at least have a consistent experience on.

Yes, people do. The Pompeii thing going on now is pretty decent. Plus, beer festival. King Tut exhibit in 2013. I work fairly near, it gets traffic.
Huh. I remember going to that exhibit the last time it was there. It was kinda cool.

Back