Facebook Moves Into Its New Garden-Roofed Building

HardOCP News

[H] News
I just want to know how Facebook plans on keeping the roots of those trees from growing through the roof. Other than that, this whole thing is kinda neat.

The roof of the new Facebook building, about 70-feet up, offers a winding walk through nine acres of greenery. This walkway sits above the marshlands of Menlo Park, California, not the big city. But, Goler says, it feels a lot like the elevated railroad line that now serves as a park on the West Side of Manhattan. “It’s a half mile loop,” she says. “It gives space to think.”

That kid of tech is actually a good thing since it reduces cooling bills as well as manage storm water run off. It just isn't a "hipster thing", it is actually good practice.

I just want to know how Facebook plans on keeping the roots of those trees from growing through the roof. Other than that, this whole thing is kinda neat.

Tree roots typically don't go much more than a few feet deep, depending on species, soil condition, and available water. I don't know how deep the soil is, but I'm guessing they chose trees with shallow root systems. Plus, if the root hits the bottom, it'll just continue out horizontally from there.

That kid of tech is actually a good thing since it reduces cooling bills as well as manage storm water run off. It just isn't a "hipster thing", it is actually good practice.

Manage storm water? People in California WISH! They are hurting so bad on water I'm actually surprised this was even approved. Though it does look like they are near a body of water that may recycle some how? Not sure I just know the state is really hurting on water right now and creating a luscious park/garden on top of a roof top seems a bit idiotic?

That's the SF Bay, so salt water.

And yeah, if the CA drought doesn't end soon, prepare for increased food costs worldwide.

This is one of those green things that makes a lot of sense for cities. Lots of people have that whole 'damn hippie' mentality, but some ideas do work. Plus it looks cool.

If facebook wanted to, they could be using water from the bay, desalination is very energy hungry though.

Back