WD's My Passport X Delivers 2 TB of Storage for Xbox One and PC Gamers

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company, and world leader in storage solutions, today introduced the My Passport® X portable hard drive for gamers. When connected to Xbox One™ or a PC, the sleek 2 TB My Passport X drive provides much-needed storage capacity for gamers to store up to 50 extra game titles1, eliminating the need to delete previously purchased games from their Xbox One or PC hard drives and removing those “storage full” warning messages while allowing players to get back to their games. In addition to added storage, gamers can use My Passport X to take saved games to use on friends’ systems2 without having to download.

Looks like there's about a $50 Microsoft Tax on that.

Wow, a marketing solution for a problem that never existed (ANY USB drive will work).

Wow, a marketing solution for a problem that never existed (ANY USB drive will work).

This is true with a lot of things. Nintendo MicroSD cards? Cost a lot more than off the shelf. Hard drives? Same thing. The gaming stuff is always more expensive.

Of course, we're geeks, so we know the alternatives. We know that you can use any USB HDD. A lot of console gamers (PC Master Race!) just want something that works and says "XBOX" on the box. If it says "USB HDD", they don't know. So, it has to be marketed to them.

Some non-computer folk also have a hard time finding a mouse or keyboard because it doesn't specifically say "For PC's". Don't people ask you what kind of mouse they need? Or wireless router? Or whatever... Some people are clueless unless it says right on it (even then there are a few that are dumb about it).

Well, except that not everyone knows this. Having a drive that is guaranteed to work means that some folks will not have to worry. (Yes, any drive will work but this drive matches the scheme of the Xbox one and some will like that.)

In the case of the Vita memory card, Sony actually does the most douche thing possible and locks you in physically.I'm not sure if someone can modify the signature of a MicroSD to pass for a Vita card but considering how expensive Vita cards are for experimentation, no one has probably tried. =_=;

I also wouldn't really trade my Vita for any PC. The thing is irreplaceable in my books. There still aren't really any handheld PC's.

I can't imagine having a whole 2TB on a PC, that's insane! Even better would be if they invented a technology to where you could use network attached storage for a console, and then applied that technology to PCs.

What would work better is a utility to relocate your steam installs and backup your games save/settings for the ones not on Steam Cloud, automatically. Package a license to that utility for +$10 with an otherwise normal external. Then it might be useful.

In the case of the Vita memory card, Sony actually does the most douche thing possible and locks you in physically.I'm not sure if someone can modify the signature of a MicroSD to pass for a Vita card but considering how expensive Vita cards are for experimentation, no one has probably tried. =_=;

I also wouldn't really trade my Vita for any PC. The thing is irreplaceable in my books. There still aren't really any handheld PC's.

Have you seen the Open Pandora? :D

What would work better is a utility to relocate your steam installs and backup your games save/settings for the ones not on Steam Cloud, automatically. Package a license to that utility for +$10 with an otherwise normal external. Then it might be useful.

You can do that pretty easily with Steam... Not really relocate your current installs, but you can (re)install games on an external HDD and move saves over.

I can't imagine having a whole 2TB on a PC, that's insane! Even better would be if they invented a technology to where you could use network attached storage for a console, and then applied that technology to PCs.

These games are getting ridiculous. I only have about 20 games on our Xbone (about half of which were the free monthly ones) and it's already up to about 200GB or so.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sir, you win the Internets for the day.

These games are getting ridiculous. I only have about 20 games on our Xbone (about half of which were the free monthly ones) and it's already up to about 200GB or so.

The sarcasm meter on this one, broken is. :p

If anything i'd just shove a ssd in an external usb 3.0 enclosure and load up the game i'm playing to that. These games now of days have ridiculous load times. I rather burn though a smaller SSD every couple years.

Only if it (the console) came with a 10gb connection for real-time backup!

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? Been rocking 2TB drives for the last 4 years. I don't know what I'd do without that extra buffer.

Back