GitHub.com Victim Of Large Scale DDoS Attack

HardOCP News

[H] News
What kind of morons would DDoS attack GitHub? Seriously, what could they have done to piss anyone off?

We are currently experiencing the largest DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack in github.com's history. The attack began around 2AM UTC on Thursday, March 26, and involves a wide combination of attack vectors. These include every vector we've seen in previous attacks as well as some sophisticated new techniques that use the web browsers of unsuspecting, uninvolved people to flood github.com with high levels of traffic. Based on reports we've received, we believe the intent of this attack is to convince us to remove a specific class of content.

They are under attack for hosting projects which are used to circumvent the Chinese Great Firewall.

It wont be long.

"When things have become strong, they become old, which may
be said to be contrary to the Tao. Whatever is contrary to the Tao
soon ends."

index.jpg

Seems to me a site hosting hundreds of thousands of skilled programmers source code would not be the place I would want to be attacking. If anybody is capable of retaliating or tracking them down, it would be some of the folks on there. In any case, I fail to see the motivation. The paranoid part of me might suspect they are attacking to distract, whilst poking for holes and trying to find exploits as a part of a larger plan. The cynical side would prefer to believe it is just bunch of dumb kids that have control over a small bot-net. The only source code I maintain that is worth a damn I don't host up there, but I'm sure other small companies that use it might be a little worried right about now.

They are under attack for hosting projects which are used to circumvent the Chinese Great Firewall.

If that is indeed the case then, I'll buy the pop-corn........ and remove my source code from get up lol. This should be an interesting, and slightly disconcerting show.

Seems to me a site hosting hundreds of thousands of skilled programmers source code would not be the place I would want to be attacking. If anybody is capable of retaliating or tracking them down, it would be some of the folks on there.

"In his speech, McConnell also said that during the final years of the Bush administration, the Chinese government employed a jaw-dropping 100,000 hackers dedicated solely to breaking into computers. By comparison, he said the United States had that many spies -- total." (Source)

That was back in 2008, seven years ago. I consider it more than likely that there are more than 1 million Chinese government hackers now.

What is the point of the US having control of the internet if they won't use that power to deal with this crap?

Simply revoke all IANA IP Address and AS assignments to China, null route them, and be done with it. If they can't play nicely, they don't get to play at all.

Jingjing and Chacha are pleased with this action against Github.

Are there any of those fun and fancy graphs, plots, and charts that show where all incoming attack vectors are? I love watching those things as the packets zoom from one side of the map to the other and obliterate servers.

What is the point of the US having control of the internet if they won't use that power to deal with this crap?

Simply revoke all IANA IP Address and AS assignments to China, null route them, and be done with it. If they can't play nicely, they don't get to play at all.

From this administration, please, it will never happen...

What makes you think the attacks need to come within China? They can easily put 100 000 immigrants with a mission out there. Things are not that simple.

What makes you think the attacks need to come within China? They can easily put 100 000 immigrants with a mission out there. Things are not that simple.

If Baidu ceases to exist, it would be rather hard for them to continue the attack.

Back