Volvo Selling Highly Reflective "Life Paint" For Bicyclist

Someone paints the inside of their computer case with this and points a light at it in 3.2.1...

You could spray a white sheet and be an unbelievably real life ghost!

Don't forget to fix the link to this thread from the article on the front page Steve. :)

After watching the video I can see why so many damn cyclists are injured or killed in the UK they ride their damned bikes anywhere randomly on the roads at night like idiots that think they are invincible.

Wake up you idiots and ride responsibly, I ride but not like an idiot, riders and drivers can be the scum of the earth if they don't think....

/flame on

After watching the video I can see why so many damn cyclists are injured or killed in the UK they ride their damned bikes anywhere randomly on the roads at night like idiots that think they are invincible.

Wake up you idiots and ride responsibly, I ride but not like an idiot, riders and drivers can be the scum of the earth if they don't think....

/flame on

That's the impression I got from the video.

Even if you ride responsibly, there's always a chance that some idiot with a smartphone will run you over anyway.

I think spraying ones license plate with this might lesson any photo tickets and or government license plate tracking system. So yes, I like this stuff. I'll take two cans please.

/flame on

This +1

I think spraying ones license plate with this might lesson any photo tickets and or government license plate tracking system. So yes, I like this stuff. I'll take two cans please.

Hmmm, that is not a bad idea, not a bad idea at all.

As someone who's started cycling to/from work everyday this stuff would be awesome. I've been ran off the road twice and almost rear ended by someone not paying attention and driving halfway in the bike lane. Thankfully it was dark and I was able to see their lights, look behind me and then ditch it into the curb to avoid them.

Sorry...small rant there. Anyway, stuff looks pretty cool. I'm all about being seen more in the dark while I ride.

Well this don't even aim at the problem that most people I have ran into seem to care less about following the rules. I have been hit 3 times and I was not even moving.

At 39 secs. Did that car go into the bike lane and brake?

But yea, some of these people suck at life. I don't know bike rules, exactly... but I don't bike on roads.

Will it also help cyclists obey traffic laws?
Those same cyclist being asshats and not obeying traffic laws are the same ass hats driving cars doing the same thing... but currently there are more drivers on the roads not obeying traffic laws than cyclist. On a side note get use to it , because until the PD does their job and cracks down on both it's not going to stop... :p :rolleyes:

Most states have hefty fines for applying anything that would block out the cameras shot of your plate and then there are laws in just about 99% of the US for obscuring the view / covering up a license plate.

I could be fit cyclist and use Lifepaint, or I could heave my fat ass into my 5500lbs Suburban and not worry about a thing.

As someone who's started cycling to/from work everyday this stuff would be awesome. I've been ran off the road twice and almost rear ended by someone not paying attention and driving halfway in the bike lane. Thankfully it was dark and I was able to see their lights, look behind me and then ditch it into the curb to avoid them.

Sorry...small rant there. Anyway, stuff looks pretty cool. I'm all about being seen more in the dark while I ride.
I feel for ya ,It doesn't matter day or night you have to be hyper aware when cycling any more...I run a rear light day or night when cycling... I have had a few close calls riding at night in the bike lane and non bike lan streets , riding above the speed or at speed limit ... that's even with a Dinotte 400R RED Taillight strapped on my bikes with their DiNotte XML-3 head lamp. Some drivers just do not pay attention to the road when they are driving...

Fingers crossed we do not have another great NeverWet debacle here...

People should start wearing bulletproof vests cuz I like to randomly shoot my gun out the window on crowded streets when I drive. I mean people should have to wear helments and florescent everything because I'm too busy not obeying the speed limit, or playing with my phone, or shoving a burger in my face, or not signaling for right turns.

I'm super special that way.

So am I the only one that thinks this would make an awesome TRON halloween costume?

Will it also help cyclists obey traffic laws?

I just wish they would stop riding their bikes under the front of my SUV. I'm tired of having to buff out all the scratches they leave on my bumper :)

Actually I had the same problem when I used to ride a motorcycle. I had so many close calls (almost getting hit) that I finally gave up and sold it. Much safer in a car as the idiots are more likely to see it.

Two important things they leave out of that commercial is how much it costs and how long does it last. If it cost $30 a can and lasts one day it's not going to be too cost effective.

All this will do is increase your odds a little bit at night. It won't do anything during the day, it won't do anything for people who do see you but want to run you off the road even though you're on the shoulder.

I've bicycled a long time and pretending you have the same rights as a car is suicide. Sure, 99 / 100 drivers may respect it, but the one that doesn't means you getting paralyzed. I always bike under the assumption that a car is going to fucking hit me. It makes it extremely stressful, but I've never been hit (I have had a beer bottle thrown at me while I was on the shoulder off the road so they could pass and have had a couple TRY to hit me though)

I have no respect for bikers hit who aren't obeying the law, but comparing that to drivers who essentially commit attempted murder of cyclists who AREN'T doing something stupid just isn't a fair comparison at all.

I think it's more important for bikes to have proper illumination than reflection. Those puny lights I see on so many bicycles are insufficient for roads at night.

Let me guess, Californian resident?

lol

When I lived in Cali, I had a next door neighbor that went batshit crazy when I spayed weed and feed on my lawn. Never mind that a driveway separated the buildings. She even wore a doctor's mask for a week after.

The punchline? She was a psychologist. Imagine this woman "helping" others with their problems.

It may help motorists see you at night but I'm willing to bet it will act like a magnet for drunk drivers.

A day early?

Seriously, if you look at the cyclists in the ad, you'll see that many of them are not wearing sensible high-visibility wear. How difficult is it to don a high-vis jacket? How difficult is it to put lights on your bike? How difficult is it to cycle at a safe distance to the vehicle in front?

And, judging from my personal experience in the UK, cyclists need to remember that they too are subject to the Highway Code. As a pedestrian, I've been run into or nearly so by cyclists who thought that red lights did not apply to them.

People say that my driving is scary, but it's not because I speed or anything. It's just that I'm really bad with the spatial stuff so I try to be really careful when there's a person on a bicycle around because I know they're like the mailbox I hit or the dumpsters I backed into or my parent's car that I bumped when I went to visit them. I feel so bad for people on bicycles because they just don't have any other way to get around and because I live in a really backwards, rural place full of bumpkins that can't even maintain the roads, much less widen them to make them safe, those poor people who don't have gym equipment at home and want to be healthy only have like a foot or so of road shoulder and most of it is covered in loose gravel from when they dump that salt junk on them all winter long (even when it rains). I wish I lived someplace that wasn't as redneck-y because even small cities not only have wider roads, but people can speak English better too so it's like a win-win.

So how is this stupid shit going to solve anything, if people in cars are not "paying attention" to begin with, this is not going to to fuck all.

As a side not all those idiots in that video would give me a lot of reasons to hit them, I can under stand why the accident rate is so high.

I've got an opinion, and just like my butt-hole it might not be that popular.

Firstly I think this is great, needed and will be wonderful.

My other opinion though is that it's not enough. I don't think the problem is actually cars but the bikes, with a bit on the bike riders. A clip in the video reminded me of something I forgot and never thought about in context: bikes stop like a speeding, overloaded semi - as in not very well compared to a car.

When you think about it, bikes cannot accelerate that fast, they can't get up to the same speeds or stop that well. Even without combining the bad thing that some cyclists do, this is a cookbook for disaster of you have them sharing the roads with cars.

I'm not absolving car drivers completely either but the more the roadway is congested, the more the mix is likely to fail.

Yup, visibility is critical!

I'm a big advocate of reflexite tape, which is a brand of absolutely insanely high reflective rate safety tape available in every color under the rainbow, that works at high angles of attack.

3956647019_75b4e1da32.jpg

I think I mentioned it here before, but I damn near ran over a guy who was running on the side of the road about as ninja black as he could be. First off he made Wesley Snipes look like the Powder the magnet boy so he was midnight black, but then for clothing he wore black sweatshorts and a black t-shirt, and his shoes were tattered dark gray with no reflective stripping on them as virtually ALL sneakers have today. And of course it was a road by my house that has absolutely zero home or street lighting whatsoever, and I really was paying attention. Yes, technically it would have been my fault had I hit him, but still you have to take an active roll in being seen and he should have been running the direction facing traffic (since at a jog your speed is consequential, and this lets you see the cars as they approach you).

Back