HardOCP News

[H] News
It is sad that, when something like this happens, the biggest obstacle to getting any information is having to deal with the IRS. :(

“Since I was alerting them that this transaction was fraudulent, their privacy rules prevented them from telling me any more information, such as the routing number and account number of that deposit,” Kasper said. “They basically admitted this was to protect the privacy of the criminal, not because they were going to investigate right away. In fact, they were very clear that the matter would not be investigated further until a fraud affidavit and accompanying documentation were processed by mail.”

I think someone should use this method to file tax returns for all of the people in the senate and house of representatives and have their money sent somewhere else so that something will get FIXED quickly once they realize whats happened.

I had a buddy that had his refund ripped off, took 4 months to fix it.

I owe every year, and don't even pay close to what I owe until April 15th so nobody will bother with me unless they get really desperate. IRS interest rates are too low not to borrow from them for now.

Couple years ago me and my wife had the same thing happen. We filed and it said she had already filed so we contacted the IRS and they said the only thing we could do is mail in our return. After several phone calls to the IRS and me getting no info on anyhting we finally got our return back about 7 months after filing :rolleyes: Now we have Identify protection PINS.

Our tax system is extremely broken. Tax fraud is expected to hit 21 billion in 2016. That's a lot of money, you'd think the IRS would care a little more about it.

Our tax system is extremely broken. Tax fraud is expected to hit 21 billion in 2016. That's a lot of money, you'd think the IRS would care a little more about it.

Pssh.

We leak out billions here, billions there - we ain't talkin' real money under we hit triple digit B :D

It's a government bureaucracy. This just means they need more tax dollars so they can hire more people to not answer the phone or give incorrect answers. Maybe a few million more to "study" the problem.

The answer is to get rid of the income tax and replace it with a national sales tax. Most people would never need to file taxes or deal with the IRS again. Just think about how much money would be saved if almost no one had to ever file taxes.

Of course the real solution is to put the federal government back to where it was 60+ years ago, and eliminate 85% of it and the spending. Then we wouldn't need the income tax or need to replace it with anything.

The answer is to get rid of the income tax and replace it with a national sales tax. Most people would never need to file taxes or deal with the IRS again. Just think about how much money would be saved if almost no one had to ever file taxes.

If it sounds to good to be true it almost certainly is. A national sales tax large enough to replace all other taxes would raise prices considerably. That's why the FairTax proposal includes a monthly prebate check based on income. I'm not sure how moving to a tax system where most of the country is dependent on a monthly government check fits with your worldview

I think the real reason the FairTax proposal became a talking point for conservatives was that they felt it highlights the fact that rich people pay most of the taxes. Since the recession FairTax has pretty much disappeared outside wingnut circles because of growing public awareness that wealth is still becoming more concentrated among the wealthy despite the difficulties the middle class has been facing.

The IRS is filled with criminals above the law so why would they care. Try telling them in an audit all your hard drive copies failed.

irs.gov -> Tools -> Get Transcript -> Online -> Create a Login -> Email verification -> Complete registration -> Log out (no need to actually request transcript)

Back