Goodbye GPS? DARPA Preparing Alternative Position-Tracking Technology

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Leave it to DARPA to think outside of the box, but really, sometimes I don’t think these guys even own a box to think out of, they just think. :D In this instance, the Department of Defense agency is turning its attention to the shortcomings of present day GPS systems and how the group can create new technology for real-time position tracking.

The need to be able to operate effectively in areas where GPS is inaccessible, unreliable or potentially denied by adversaries has created a demand for alternative precision timing and navigation capabilities.

I doubt GPS is going anywhere anytime soon. This new system will almost certainly be in addition to, rather than a replacement for, traditional GPS.

And that's fine. Most modern devices already use much more than just GPS. At a minimum most new devices will already use both GPS and GLONASS to give more accurate results. The more positioning systems the better.

We need something for indoors (it'd require stores to opt-in). Trying to navigate CES can be a nightmare, among other things (like malls, etc.). Imagine being able to get directions to that item you're looking for at the store.

We need something for indoors (it'd require stores to opt-in). Trying to navigate CES can be a nightmare, among other things (like malls, etc.). Imagine being able to get directions to that item you're looking for at the store.
It could also help fat people, who like to have sex with it really really dark in the room.

Maybe they will research some next-generation inertial measurement unit like whats used on modern subs, ships, and spacecraft.

GPS/WAAS/GLONASS is great, if you have clear view of the sky. Hell, WAAS is good enough for airliner autopilots to perform precision landings. But for people on the ground its not always available if you're in a canyon or under a dense forest canopy for example. Also anything dependent on radio is mostly useless in cave exploration.

I think the ultimate solution will be to combine as many of these positioning methods as possible. IMUs are known to drift over time, but the tech is getting better. IMUs in the Apollo era were very robust gyroscopes - now they're optical based using lasers. Maybe with the advancements in optical computer chips we will see a chip-based laser IMU that can further improve upon the technology.

...or you could, I don't know, interact with a human being employed by that store?

...or you could, I don't know, interact with a human being employed by that store?

Why employ a human when you can have technology/robots take their place for cheaper. No more hourly wages, insurance, benefits, late employees, etc.

Maybe they will research some next-generation inertial measurement unit like whats used on modern subs, ships, and spacecraft.

GPS/WAAS/GLONASS is great, if you have clear view of the sky. Hell, WAAS is good enough for airliner autopilots to perform precision landings. But for people on the ground its not always available if you're in a canyon or under a dense forest canopy for example. Also anything dependent on radio is mostly useless in cave exploration.

I think the ultimate solution will be to combine as many of these positioning methods as possible. IMUs are known to drift over time, but the tech is getting better. IMUs in the Apollo era were very robust gyroscopes - now they're optical based using lasers. Maybe with the advancements in optical computer chips we will see a chip-based laser IMU that can further improve upon the technology.

Speaking of IMUs, the new 2015 R1 has a 6 axis IMU. Not related, but cool as hell anyway.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/yzf-r1

I never have a problem getting around malls, but I guess since I've never really been into the whole navigational assistance thing-y that I'm just used to finding my own way around. Besides that, I really don't at all want to be directed to the exact thing I was thinking about getting while I'm shopping. I wanna wander around and check out other stuff too, see what's on closeout, and get things that look nice that I didn't really think about wanting before I left.

I dunno about CES. I don't think I'd ever go to something like that, but it can't be that hard to just wander around and have fun. It seems way too intense and high-pressure to do crazy stuff like route planning indoors with a phone. I mean really, look up and around instead of at the dumb little screen. You might see some really cool stuff doing that.

Any question I'd ask would be rhetorical, the answer is always ... Republicans don't believe in science. GPS is "magic" and there is no need to invest in expanding, improving and hardening the system because .... Jesus. :eek::rolleyes:

Any question I'd ask would be rhetorical, the answer is always ... Republicans don't believe in science. GPS is "magic" and there is no need to invest in expanding, improving and hardening the system because .... Jesus. :eek::rolleyes:

Pretty hard to invest in all that when you give away all the money in entitlements

Back