Russia Announces Plan to Build New ISS with NASA

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Russia may have ideological differences with the US, but doesn’t let that little detail stand in the way of continuing cooperation when it comes to the International Space Station. Russia agreed this week on continued support for the ISS until its scheduled decommissioning in 2024 and onward to the new orbital space platform construction in cooperation with NASA.

We agreed that the group of countries taking part in the ISS project will work on the future project of a new orbital station.

I think this is pretty cool. A big step up from a while back when they were discussing removing their modules from the ISS and using them to begin construction of a Russian-only space station. It's nice that we can continue this despite other political BS between the countries. There is a long tradition of this going back to the 70's, pretty much starting right after we won the space race.

Can we expect this to go over budget? Even if not, remind me again: Why is this a good use of taxpayer money?

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer - Sun Tzu

Common misnomer with that quote. Not Sun Tzu. It's attributed to Machiavelli's The Prince "The new Prince must strive to hold close his allies, but it is of more importance to hold close his enemies..."

Can we expect this to go over budget? Even if not, remind me again: Why is this a good use of taxpayer money?

Astronauts having extended stays on the space station (Year or longer) gives scientists a lot of insight as to how Astronauts might handle a long-term spaceflight to somewhere like Mars. It also enables the performing of countless experiments which would otherwise never happen if each required their own mission and launch to space.

Of course there are some that probably feel the entire space program is/was a waste. Was going to the moon a good use of taxpayer money?

Astronauts having extended stays on the space station (Year or longer) gives scientists a lot of insight as to how Astronauts might handle a long-term spaceflight to somewhere like Mars. It also enables the performing of countless experiments which would otherwise never happen if each required their own mission and launch to space.

Of course there are some that probably feel the entire space program is/was a waste. Was going to the moon a good use of taxpayer money?

It showed Soviets that if America can land a man on the moon, America can land a nuke on Moscow.

Have you seen what percentage does NASA's annual budget constitute? When you compare that to the impact NASA had from spin off technologies to other less direct effect it has on society, the budget is not nearly enough.

If you are concern about tax dollar wastage, you should look at programs like the F-35 development. NASA has gone to the moon and back several times with the budget that was a fraction of the money thrown at the F-35.

The biggest money waste of the F-35 is the fact it still has a pilot. A fleet of fighter/bomber drones would outperform and crush piloted planes in a dog fight ... nothing like pulling 50+ G's vs a human pilot. :cool:

Any new Space Station needs to be designed around artificial gravity .... spinning housing modules ... so long term stays can be researched. This Kelly mission they just started is a complete waste of time/money, we already know what happens without gravity .... you turn to wet spaghetti. :rolleyes:

This Kelly mission they just started is a complete waste of time/money, we already know what happens without gravity .... you turn to wet spaghetti. :rolleyes:

Because I'm sure he's just going to be twiddling his thumbs waiting for his body to atrophy, instead of, you know, performing various test exercises and trying various medications, etc to attempt to combat it. :rolleyes:

I think artificial gravity (via spinning, no fake sci-fi BS) is a great idea for a space station and I really do hope that the next space station incorporates that. At the same time I don't really see them being able to incorporate that into a Mars mission, so we can't really afford to give up studying humans in lack of gravity.

Because I'm sure he's just going to be twiddling his thumbs waiting for his body to atrophy, instead of, you know, performing various test exercises and trying various medications, etc to attempt to combat it. :rolleyes:

I think artificial gravity (via spinning, no fake sci-fi BS) is a great idea for a space station and I really do hope that the next space station incorporates that. At the same time I don't really see them being able to incorporate that into a Mars mission, so we can't really afford to give up studying humans in lack of gravity.

What hidden knowledge is to be gained from something that has been studied for over 50 years now? We also had plenty of long-term stay astronauts at this point. There is very little or nothing to be gained.

What hidden knowledge is to be gained from something that has been studied for over 50 years now? We also had plenty of long-term stay astronauts at this point. There is very little or nothing to be gained.

Yeah, science is overrated. We should have more iPads instead.

The "we can't afford it" talking points is one of the biggest lies told by any anti-science politician.The entire history of NASA has been paid for with under 4/10th of a penny of America's tax dollar, and almost everything people use today can be traced back to NASA and the research they've done. We can easily afford to invest in our future, and have an incredible return on that investment, we just choose not too.

Look up any speech by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and find out the facts about America's budgeting, and what it is we're robbing ourselves, our children, and our childrens children from having by not investing in science.

Unfortunately, the only real way the budgeting will increase without replacing stoneage politicians in Congress, is if Russia/China starts sending people to space in a manner during the cold war, and if that happens the current America will hand over billions to corporations like Boeing to deliver behind schedule, over budget, and under performing platforms...

And before someone ask what NASA has given us, here is a "small" list of what NASA has contributed to society... The mouse, communications satellites and weather monitoring (hurricanes, wildfires, volcanoes, etc), Healthcare workers being able to monitor multiple patients at once, cochlear implants, cataract detection techniques, lifesears, breast cancer screening, insulin pumps, water filters, attention getters, UV coatings, scratch resistant glass, memory foam, safer more efficient planes, cars, and roads.... all of these and THOUSANDS of other things, can all be traced back to NASA and the work they've done for decades.

50+ years of space flight doesn't equate to 50+ years of experience with long-duration spaceflights. The vast majority of space flights over the last 50+ years have been very short. In regards to long-duration spaceflights, You're talking about a dozen or two examples at most, many of which date back to the Russian/Soviet MIR days.

Also, there are countless scientists out there who clearly disagree with you about there being nothing to be gained. So... i'm going to go with: You don't have the slightest clue what the fuck you're talking about.

We can all guess which of the 2 sides will be footing most the bill for it while getting a minority ownership. AKA its gonna be listed as russian owned but US will pay for 75+% of it.

Haha you mean like ISS, It may be named "International" but we built the most of it on our dime, sure the other countries modules were paid for by them, but we put them up with our space shuttles.

Another question how do they plan to get the stuff into space? We don't have shuttles any more. Is the thought that we'll have an efficient means to get these parts into space in 2024, can we build it quicker this time and not take 10 years to build it? Or is the hope that the ISS won't be falling apart by then so they can extend it's use?

I wonder if the Soviets... er, I mean the Russian will actually build their own section this time? I mean, last time we basically paid for their whole contribution. OTOH, I think the ISS is a stupid idea, but I guess that's why the politicians love it so much.

OTOH, I think the ISS is a stupid idea, but I guess that's why the politicians love it so much.

i wonder what did happen to the nation that put the first man on the Moon or does US need someone to measure their peen size with to push forward

Maybe another Sputnik to again scare the bejesus out; hope China hurries up

It showed Soviets that if America can land a man on the moon, America can land a nuke on Moscow.
Actually that's achieved by doing a controlled orbital splashdown back with Mercury or Gemini.

The Moon Trip was for national pride and to expose the economic and technological limits of 50-60 years of the Soviet System.

We're not going to Mars anytime soon.

50+ years of space flight doesn't equate to 50+ years of experience with long-duration spaceflights. The vast majority of space flights over the last 50+ years have been very short. In regards to long-duration spaceflights, You're talking about a dozen or two examples at most, many of which date back to the Russian/Soviet MIR days.

Also, there are countless scientists out there who clearly disagree with you about there being nothing to be gained. So... i'm going to go with: You don't have the slightest clue what the fuck you're talking about.

This is not my opinion. A large amount of scientists out there agree that money spent for researching weightlessness can be put into a much better use (Robert Zubrin et al.). How many graphs of bone decay do you need?

Go read a book instead of insulting me and telling me "you don't have the slightest clue what the fuck you're talking about". I beg to differ.

but they all ready do this and know this. They do exercise already.

You realize that SpaceX exists, right

Maybe that's why Russia is moving forward now. American private enterprise is poised to make some incredible self supported missions. The ISS, and satellites, and launch platforms, are pretty much their contribution to space exploration these days.

I wonder if the Soviets... er, I mean the Russian will actually build their own section this time? I mean, last time we basically paid for their whole contribution. OTOH, I think the ISS is a stupid idea, but I guess that's why the politicians love it so much.

There are a number of Russian built modules. Some of which they paid for...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station

NASA is quite surprised to hear they're building a new ISS with the Russians. Perhaps they mean upgrading older modules?

Back