More Than Half of All IE Users Face Patch Axe in 10 Months

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Come hell or high water, Microsoft is committed to moving users of Internet Explorer to the newest version available, even if that means discontinuing support for their present version of IE. Microsoft is warning users of older versions of Internet Explorer that they have only 10 more months to either upgrade browsers, change browser providers or face the dreaded no-support cold shoulder from Microsoft.

The off-support IE editions will continue to work, but Microsoft will halt technical support and stop serving security updates for the banned applications.

Still supporting ie6 is crazy it's so old it precedes both firefox and chrome.

meaning the nsa cant track you as good as our new browser

Now, it's just a matter of convincing some business sites that they need to spend some money to upgrade their sites to support the latest browsers instead of giving their C?Os fat bonuses. Yeah right....

A sign that your website needs updating is when it includes a reference to the following recommended browsers:
  • Netscape Navigator.... any version (discontinued in 2008)
  • Internet Explorer 4 or later (released in 1997)
  • Firefox 3 (discontinued in 2010)

As a web dev, the horror that I have to deal with every day at my corporation is called IE8. I would be remarkably happy if I could stop having to support it.

I dropped support for IE8 at work a long time ago. Most of my stuff still functions, it just doesn't look quite the same. It's so nice not having to waste time dealing with old browser issues. IE8 or lower users make up less than 1% of our user base, so it's pretty much a non issue from a business perspective.

Now regards to Microsoft dropping support, I don't know that it's going to change much. If people aren't bothering to update their browser, they might not be applying security updates as well, or even know that it needs to be done. The exception would be businesses who are locked in to IE8 but still apply all other updates. Hopefully this will push them to quit being so lazy and cheap and just get it done.

After Jan. 12, 2016, Microsoft will support IE9 only on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, IE10 only on Windows Server 2012, and only IE11 on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

IE7 and IE8 will drop off support completely -- as will IE6 in July when Microsoft retires Windows Server 2003 -- but others on certain editions of Windows, like IE10 on Windows 7, will also get the patch axe.

From a blog post:
After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, customers using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 SP1 should migrate to Internet Explorer 11 to continue receiving security updates and technical support. For more details regarding support timelines on Windows and Windows Embedded, see the Microsoft Support Lifecycle site.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx

After looking at wiki basically just means the only supported browser is the latest one for each OS. So if you're on Vista you need to use IE9, Win 7 requires IE11, and Server 2012 only supported IE10 so that's what you get.

The only part that seems a bit odd is the fact that if Microsoft is already patching IE10 and IE9 still for other operating systems, why they wouldn't just test those patches against 7.

I don't really see this as a big deal. It isn't like the IE6 days anymore. For the most part, the only people I still see using old versions of IE are people who don't have a choice. Like people on business systems still stuck on XP and thus stuck using IE8. Even then most in that situation use alternative browsers if they can, since both Chrome and Firefox still support XP.

Meanwhile, just this week it was found that a certain website that requires a very specific and old plugin that emulates IE on Firefox does not work on IE.

doublefacepalm.gif

Come hell or high water, Microsoft is committed to moving users of Internet Explorer to the newest version available, even if that means discontinuing support for their present version of IE. Microsoft is warning users of older versions of Internet Explorer that they have only 10 more months to either upgrade browsers, change browser providers or face the dreaded no-support cold shoulder from Microsoft.

Is there a reason not to use IE11 (assuming you use IE at all)? There's an option to have it emulate older versions of IE, and I've never had that fail on enterprise pages that wanted a specific version of IE.

Anyone using IE6 should have the browser deleted when patched. If your company hasn't updated its internal apps after 8+ years, you need to go back to pen and paper.

I look forward to Windows 10 when IE finally dies. Maybe we can force these IE6 offenders to stop.

This is great, the less old crap I need to support due to slow corporate upgrade schedules, the better!

Haha I'm do reluctant with this but at the same time they need to do this.

IMHO, Microsoft should go further.

They should have code hidden in their products that make them stop working the second support ends.

Also, they should have code installed that prevents any machine that isn't up to date with it's patches from reaching the internet (apart from Windows update) until the patches are installed.

Maybe then we will finally see fewer botnets.

Zarathustra[H];1041516706 said:
IMHO, Microsoft should go further.

They should have code hidden in their products that make them stop working the second support ends.

Also, they should have code installed that prevents any machine that isn't up to date with it's patches from reaching the internet (apart from Windows update) until the patches are installed.

Maybe then we will finally see fewer botnets.

The reality is that would just encourage people to move to non-Microsoft products. As much as Microsoft might not consider it ideal when they find people still using some ancient version of their browser or OS, I have absolutely no doubt that they still find that preferable to that person moving to something Android or iOS/OSX based.

I dropped support for IE8 at work a long time ago. Most of my stuff still functions, it just doesn't look quite the same. It's so nice not having to waste time dealing with old browser issues. IE8 or lower users make up less than 1% of our user base, so it's pretty much a non issue from a business perspective.

Now regards to Microsoft dropping support, I don't know that it's going to change much. If people aren't bothering to update their browser, they might not be applying security updates as well, or even know that it needs to be done. The exception would be businesses who are locked in to IE8 but still apply all other updates. Hopefully this will push them to quit being so lazy and cheap and just get it done.

I wish I could do that, but these are intraweb-facing sites and IE8 is actually the company standard browser. If you install something else but IE8, IT actually gets on your case. I think maybe one of the systems requires some loopholes in IE8 to function. It's hard to say. This is a huge dinosaur company.

I am hoping that them dropping IE8 patch support will get us to switch since in a big corp like this those things usually matter a lot. Actually being able to use HTML5 (among other things, like text wrapping that actually works properly in TD elements) would be great.

Better yet, I'd just love if everyone was forced to use FF or Chrome. IE8 was outdated when it came out, IIRC.

The reality is that would just encourage people to move to non-Microsoft products. As much as Microsoft might not consider it ideal when they find people still using some ancient version of their browser or OS, I have absolutely no doubt that they still find that preferable to that person moving to something Android or iOS/OSX based.

Would be wonderful if all the major browser/OS players would just get together and agree on a "self destruct" standard for EOL software no longer receiving patches, and unlatched software even when still under support.

Terrible comparison. D

ue to security concerns and needs for patching to fix them when you purchase a software license, you are purchasing both the right to use said software and the service of security updates.

It is unreasonable to expect a company to continue supporting multiple operating systems of different ages eternally.

Their complaint about XP is absolutely idiotic. From an operating system perspective XP was fucking ancient when Microsoft FINALLY decided to make it obsolete. Support should have ended in 2005-2006 some time.

People who bought XP on day one and used it til the very end got WAY more life out of it than could EVER have been expected.

If anything Microsoft's problem is that they are not predictable in this regard.

Microsoft should adopt the Apple OS release schedule.

New OS release every 2 years.

First 2 years it gets active support including feature updates

Once the new release comes out after 2 years, the previous release.moves to security patches only, and two additional years (4years after release) you hit EOL.

In addition to this the OS should lock you out at EOL after 4 years so that it is physically impossible to use an OS out of its security support timeframe.

Windows Embedded for Point of Service (WEPOS) Internet Explorer 7
Windows Embedded Standard 2009 (WES09) Internet Explorer 8
Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 Internet Explorer 8
Windows Thin PC Internet Explorer 8

I wonder how many POS/terminals actually use the browser vs. custom applications?

Zarathustra[H];1041516915 said:
In addition to this the OS should lock you out at EOL after 4 years so that it is physically impossible to use an OS out of its security support timeframe.

Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, actually preventing someone from using an OS that is EOL? I still have an old Win98se box with dual Voodoo2's that I keep for running some old fun games. Should I be blocked on that computer from being able to run the OS because it's EOL?

From a blog post:

The only part that seems a bit odd is the fact that if Microsoft is already patching IE10 and IE9 still for other operating systems, why they wouldn't just test those patches against 7.

Ultimately what they are trying to kill is IE 8 which still has the most market share. 9 will drop consumer wise when vista support dies in 2017. Server support will die in 2020. 10 support will die completely when WS 2012 and 2012 R2 dies in 2023. And consumer wise, 10 will die in 2016 on 8 when 8.1 becomes mandatory.

What I don't understand is who actually calls or emails Microsoft for issues with a web browser in the first place OTHER than website designers which I doubt would be using such an outdated version, other than to check for compatibility with a site design. I have never known anyone who had an issue with a browser that called Microsoft, or Mozilla, or Google or whoever because they were having browser issues lol.

What I don't understand is who actually calls or emails Microsoft for issues with a web browser in the first place OTHER than website designers which I doubt would be using such an outdated version, other than to check for compatibility with a site design. I have never known anyone who had an issue with a browser that called Microsoft, or Mozilla, or Google or whoever because they were having browser issues lol.

Support - in this context - are the patches you get from windows update.

The very second an OS or browser is no longer supported with security updates and patches, it becomes VERY unwise to use it if it is connected to any public network (and some private networks too, as the Iranians found out through Stuxnet)

Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, actually preventing someone from using an OS that is EOL? I still have an old Win98se box with dual Voodoo2's that I keep for running some old fun games. Should I be blocked on that computer from being able to run the OS because it's EOL?

Yes. Or at the very least the network support should grenade on it after it is EOL.

The moment you put an EOL system on a public network, you are at very high risk.

It may not matter much for your system if it is only used for old gaming, but by putting an unpatched system on the public internet you are putting other people at risk, and risk disrupting network services if/when it becomes part of a botnet.

Once 0-day vulnerabilities sit unpatched on a system, it becomes easy prey to automated attacks without any user interaction, regardless of what firewalls or security software or antivirus you may be running.

So, fine, here is the compromise.

Users get a couple of days grace period to install new patches, if patches aren't installed, windows automatically blocks all network access EXCEPT access to Windows update.

Once product reaches EOL, all network access is permanently disabled. System can continue to function as a standalone machine, but can never again use any network interface.

Fair compromise? :p

Getting people to move away from old versions of IE to alternate browsers is one thing but that doesn't solve the problem of old shitty vulnerable IE still being on the machine.

From a blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx

After looking at wiki basically just means the only supported browser is the latest one for each OS. So if you're on Vista you need to use IE9, Win 7 requires IE11, and Server 2012 only supported IE10 so that's what you get.

Which would be great if my Windows 7 Pro Laptop could upgrade from 9 to 11, but it always fails (can't do 10, either) during the update with an obscure reference (and no, it's not pirated). I contacted Microsoft a year ago and got back a boiler plate that didn't work, and a "Make sure you use Windows Update" message. Where did those idiots think I was getting IE11 for Windows 7 from, the iPod App Store? I Googled it, and it's one of those errors nobody can figure out, and Microsoft won't fix. Greaaaaat.

Chrome works well, though.

Chrome works well, though.

I like Chrome too, and I currently use it.

But I am starting to get concerned about the growing number of open unpatched vulnerabilities.

I tried going back to Firefox the other day, but it was tough to get used to. Chrome just renders so buttery smooth. Firefox feels really clunky by comparison.

Is there a reason not to use IE11 (assuming you use IE at all)? There's an option to have it emulate older versions of IE, and I've never had that fail on enterprise pages that wanted a specific version of IE.

Anyone using IE6 should have the browser deleted when patched. If your company hasn't updated its internal apps after 8+ years, you need to go back to pen and paper.

We don't use IE11 here at work. We haven't figured it out, but with IE11, anytime you close any IE tab/window, it kills all IE processes and gives you an error. IE10 works fine.

We don't use IE11 here at work. We haven't figured it out, but with IE11, anytime you close any IE tab/window, it kills all IE processes and gives you an error. IE10 works fine.

My Win7 work laptop is still on IE8 :p

Not even all our web based tools work in the browser they sintall with the corporate image.

I had to install Chrome Portable in order to enter my annual review information into Workday :p

We still use IE6 at work, too many legacy web-based internal applications rely on it.

We still use IE6 at work, too many legacy web-based internal applications rely on it.

yep, all those web apps that were rushed in place around the Y2K tended to rely on IE6 specific code, resulting in a nightmare as time went on.

I can't help but wonder though, if you guys see a higher virus/malware infection rate because of this?

I mean IE6 was never a paragon of security to begin with, but these days...

Back