esxi 6.0 drops support for dell C1100/C2100 NOOOOOOOOOO!!

chune

Weaksauce
looks like the dirt-cheap datacenter days are coming to an end. Tried out the new vsphere 6.0 on a c1100 and was greeted with this nice PSOD:
V3hysxO.png

It happens right when it starts to load ACPI. The only workaround is to disable vt-d which is pretty depressing... especially for those of us with AIO boxes that rely on pci passthrough. To rule out any faulty hardware i also tried this on another c1100 and cs24-ty (DCS model) with the exact same PSOD. I have yet to try it on the c2100s but given the similarity of the boards, i am certain they will have the same issue. It looks like a targeted attack at the dell servers, since my supermicro X8DTH-6F is running 6.0 just fine. I know these cloudedge servers have been off the HCL since 5.1, but it seems like vmware has gone out of their way to make sure these servers are severely crippled if you choose to run vsphere 6.0... weak

Billion dollar companies are billion dollar companies. Nothing Enterprise is cheap and it never will be. Even if the tech itself is inexpensive, they'll find a way to make it expensive. HP, DELL and Cisco gotta sell servers.

Can't hang with the big boys unless you have big boy money. The whole thing's designed to perpetuate the "enterprise" price-gouging.

Had the exact same issue with my Q67 boards with 5.5, U2 fiixed it, hardly the end of the world to stop with 5.5 unless you need something 6 gives you.

Keep trying when a new update comes out it'll probably directly/indirectly get fixed, passthrough has always been a potential problem feature.

Had the exact same issue with my Q67 boards with 5.5, U2 fiixed it, hardly the end of the world to stop with 5.5 unless you need something 6 gives you.

Keep trying when a new update comes out it'll probably directly/indirectly get fixed, passthrough has always been a potential problem feature.

yeah i hope they "fix" it down the line too, i just have my doubts since this only seems to affect the older dell c-series lineup rather than all LGA1366 boards. Its really not that big of deal for the next year or so until MS releases server 11VNEXT or whatever they have taken to calling it

Back