Microsoft Confirms Project Spartan as Default Browser for Windows 10

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The King is dead (well almost), long live the King. It’s confirmed now; Project Spartan is now the official default browser of Windows 10 when it’s released later this year. Internet Explorer 11 will remain in place as the legacy browser for the foreseeable future to provide support for older operating systems.

The latest update from a special Project Spartan developer workshop yesterday suggests that Microsoft has finally settled the matter: Project Spartan is the future and will be the default browser for all Windows 10 customers.

I switched away from IE because of lack of extensions, I may switch to Spartan if extensions are done correctly, and there are no other major issues. Chrome gets laggy on image threads (and I run Windows pretty bare bones, no background processes, no cpu underclocking to save power, etc.), and some other issues annoy me. Like the favorites being buried in the menus, and favorites extensions being limited in window size.

Oh, forgot a big one, Chrome sucks with auto-hide taskbar on, dunno why but IE is the only browser that seems to work like its supposed to in that situation.

Quit honestly there are really only 3 features I want from a browser. Chrome is meeting those atm...

1. Render most pages properly. Very rarely do I have to use IE anymore.

2. Responsive... IE is a lot better with this, these days...

3. Able to sync favorites and bookmarks. This is literally the feature that makes me stick to Chrome. My bookmarks easily sync to all my chrome instances with a login in the browser. Home, work etc. While I know you can link your MS account to domain with Win8... our company is on Win7 so no such luck atm. I am guessing my situation isn't worth it for MS to design.

It's good they're making it default, that means the people who will actually benefit form the changes in Spartan will actually see them. Most IE users are using it because it's a default browser and they don't know to/don't care enough to install another browser.

Truth be told, IE is not a bad as it use to be and Microsoft is probably going to actually be competitive with this new browser so maybe we'll all be running it.

Truth be told, IE is not a bad as it use to be and Microsoft is probably going to actually be competitive with this new browser so maybe we'll all be running it.

And yes, I do use Chrome right now.

Oh good, the PC Browser Master Race is out in full force tonight. :rolleyes: I use them all but, I primarily use IE since it has a full screen browser and the others do not. Does not really matter though because I use everything but Opera.

Oh good, the PC Browser Master Race is out in full force tonight. :rolleyes: I use them all but, I primarily use IE since it has a full screen browser and the others do not. Does not really matter though because I use everything but Opera.

Oops, forgot to ask, has anyone had an opportunity to try Spartan yet? I know it is not out but that does not mean someone has not tried it.

Interesting. I don't use anything but Opera... :) well, and a little IE if something doesn't work correctly in Opera.

I never understood why people don't like ie. since win95 I remember used ie. I like how easy it is to reinstall/backup the favorites links, etc.

Back