Netflix Wants to Make VPN Piracy Obsolete

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Hollywood is a Catch-22 partner in the growing VPN piracy issue, according to Netflix, being both the cause and the cure of the problem. Netflix is pointing back to Hollywood as the cause by requiring geographical restrictions on content and can be remedied by dropping the restrictions, removing the need for a VPN to gain content from Netflix. Yes siree, Catch 22. :D

According to Hastings the VPN issue is a relatively small problem compared to traditional forms of piracy, and relatively easy to make obsolete.

Shocker, make content available to consumers in ways they want to use it and they will pay for it.

News at 9.

Shocker, make content available to consumers in ways they want to use it and they will pay for it.

News at 9.

Or we look at the companies involved, consider how much they have taken us for, and pirate the shit out of it. :D

News still at 9

Its not piracy if you are paying for it.

The geographical restrictions should be illegal anyway.

Same day worldwide releases of all video/audio/game content should be mandatory (or at least illegal to prevent through licensure)

In other words, no requirement to explicitly make content available in all markets on the same day, but illegal to prevent those who take it into their own hands by legally buying in one market and using in another.

Zarathustra[H];1041513431 said:
Its not piracy if you are paying for it.

The geographical restrictions should be illegal anyway.

Same day worldwide releases of all video/audio/game content should be mandatory (or at least illegal to prevent through licensure)

In other words, no requirement to explicitly make content available in all markets on the same day, but illegal to prevent those who take it into their own hands by legally buying in one market and using in another.

Have to agree... I pirated UK versions Downton Abby for the GF, her friends and family were jealous she was able to watch the shows many weeks before them.

We would have been happy to pay for a service, its actually "slightly" easier than pirating but oh well...

I will add that it snowballs too... I pirated the canandian early showings of Lost Girl (probably not even worth the download though :( ). Now since I setup the software I am pirating all kinds of shows, almost to the point of cancelling netflix etc

So this all started with a 4k TV and crappy HD signal of Dish... which lead to pirating the same shows I was DVRing... which lead to pirating shows from other countries... which is leading to less and less Netflix/Amazon usage.

This could very well lead to cord cutting (though the GF still loves Food network on DVR) AND some streaming cutting.

This is coming from someone that would be willing to pay $80 a month for streaming of 90% of content which is one year old.

My quote for the cable and content companies... "You done fucked up"

Exactly. So many people looking for VPN's to access content that is blocked or restricted where they are. So, they get a VPN for the US or for UK (or elsewhere) or they pirate the material.

Give it to them without those restrictions, and people will actually pay for it (or stream it with commercials, etc).

I've been using Swedish Netflix since it launched but I also use American Netflix because it has a lot more content. I don't consider it piracy since I am paying for Netflix. I hope some day that we can access everything from every country. I don't understand what the problem is when people pay for it. They should be happy that more people pay. Why exclude potentional costumers because they live in another country?

I do this ( with a DNS changer mind you) from canada to get us netflix and other services like pandora. Worth the $5 a month without a second doubt for the DNS service

I've been using Swedish Netflix since it launched but I also use American Netflix because it has a lot more content. I don't consider it piracy since I am paying for Netflix. I hope some day that we can access everything from every country. I don't understand what the problem is when people pay for it. They should be happy that more people pay. Why exclude potentional costumers because they live in another country?

The biggest problem is that different people have licenses for the content in different countries. Netflix may have the rights for a movie/show in country A but doesn't have it for country B.

It is 100% necessary for me to "pirate" netflix as an American military member. I am paying for American Netflix, but am stationed outside of the US so I am denied American content.

It is 100% necessary for me to "pirate" netflix as an American military member. I am paying for American Netflix, but am stationed outside of the US so I am denied American content.

Yea I have to use UNOTellie or whatever the hell it was called in Korea last year during my tour. I don't classify it as pirating though since we pay for the service and are American citizens, we just use a local American VPN to get around region locks.

Bunch of us basically chipped in and shared the service so 2 bucks out of pocket I guess a month.

News at 9.

Yeah reminds me of this comic that illustrates it perfectly.

Once companies stop trying to be control freaks about their content, they will be surprised to learn how many more customers they will get.

As long as viewers feel like they can't access the content they want, when want and in a form and on platform that is convenient to them, they will be driven to piracy.

Piracy is almost entirely caused by content owner shortsightedness.

Eh, if Netflix disallows VPN use, then I'll just pirate the shows that are unavailable in my country.

the movie companies never learn, what do they gain by forbidding it? people will pirate it instead. netflix may lose income as a result, they severely lack common sense.

The question that no reporter asks is why does netflix not gain the same licenses for every country? there has to be a reason for it.

Lets see , i pay for the service like any other customer, i use a VPN from my country , hence i am a pirate.

Seems legit.

Geographical restrictions are terrible.

Back