9 Games That Are Far Better on PC Than on Consoles

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
All video games are not created equal as far as the gaming platform is concerned, we all take that as gospel fact. The gaming advantage is on a sliding scale moving back and forth from consoles to PC and then back. TechRadar picked out nine video games that just look and play so much better on the PC platform. Check them out and feel free to disagree.

But there are some game franchises which, irrespective of the console's accessibility and the PC's grunt power, are just better on PC. They have more content, they have better controls, they have mods, they have user-generated content.

Diablo? I think the list would be better the other way around, since most all games are better on the PC.

Well, after 5 minutes I can't think of any games that are better on console vs PC. Maybe a Homebrewed Wii to play NES/SNES games from the comfort of the couch.

Lol they put GTA on the list... How the hell can you tell me that GTA is better on the PC when we are still patiently waiting for the PC port?

Bad Company 2 certainly looks better on PC. But I preferred playing it on PS3.

A. I like the way a controller feels for that game

B. the PC added 32 player options because PC gamers were upset about the scaled back player counts. Except-----BC2 is designed for 24 players. 32 was too much and over filled some of the maps. Particularly for Rush.

I like Diablo better with a controller. Ever since the PSone version.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to try and find a game that doesn't run better on PC than a console?

The only way this would even make sense is if they said "9 games that run better on a $380 PC than on consoles", to make it a challenge.

Have to agree with those selections. Some games are not as pretty on the console, but are definitely a lot better on the console. For others, it's personal preference. I am great with mouse and keyboard for FPS's. I suck with the controller. So, for me - FPS's are better on the PC. I'll play them a lot on the console, but I don't prefer it. For others, they are awesome on the controller, but suck with mouse/keyboard. So, for them, the game is better on console. For them, not for me.

Skyrim is definitely MUCH better on PC. From visuals to loading to damn near everything else. Mods? Consoles lose right off the bat.

The only games I enjoyed better on the console are LA.Noire, and Driver San Francisco. Not because of the graphics, since both look crap on console.

And I don'T like playing anything on the console that involves a lot of shooting and aiming, since aiming with a controller is like trying to insert your keys into the hole with a ten foot pole.

The list, for those of you who hate slideshows: Skyrim, Counter-Strike, Dragon Age, Battefield, Team Fortress, Portal, Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto, Hearthstone.

They are including all sequels when they speak of a specific game, so when they say "Grand Theft Auto", they mean all of them, not just the most recent one or the first one. Grand Theft Auto IV definitely looked better on PC than on consoles.

Reading these articles on TechRadar (week-long PC Gaming Week coverage) gave me the impression that these writers don't actually game.

Lol they put GTA on the list... How the hell can you tell me that GTA is better on the PC when we are still patiently waiting for the PC port?
Because there has been more than one GTA game? If you read those little funny symbols under the picture called words, you'd see they weren't just talking about GTA V

Hmmm which games are better on the PC than console....

everyone-the-professional.gif

Oh look, yet another clueless blogger writing yet another unneeded and idiotic article that merely states the painfully OBVIOUS while broadcasting to the world just how clueless these people are. And they get paid for this?!

Here's a challenge: show me a list of games that are better on consoles than on PC. I dare you.

I bet the author was even clever enough to write up a "9 Sports Cars That Are Faster Than Smart Cars" list.

The only games that aren't better on PC are platformers and Fighting games... and you can use a controller for those on PC so they're the same.

Because there has been more than one GTA game? If you read those little funny symbols under the picture called words, you'd see they weren't just talking about GTA V

Well let's take some words out for you...

Even better than being hugely more beautiful on PC, all the bugs will be fixed (which they weren't with GTA IV), and it won't look as terrible as GTA IV did before the PC community's seemingly-endless supply of highly talented mod-engineers set about it with the pretty hammer.

IV was a flop. Only modders helped the game reach a mediocre potential.
First two were PC only, can't compare.

the firm brought GTA III out on PlayStation 2 (though it followed on PC around half a year later).

Very arguable difference between PS2 and PC

And finally, still waiting for V...

My original response still stands.

(I left out Vice City and San Andreas because I have no experience between PC and Console.)

Well, after 5 minutes I can't think of any games that are better on console vs PC. Maybe a Homebrewed Wii to play NES/SNES games from the comfort of the couch.
Nah, nothing stopping you from playing on the couch with a controller on a living room PC. I'd say the only ones that are better on console are the ones where they monumentally screwed up the port. One that comes to mind is Saints Row 2. The performance on that is truly godawful on the PC, even to this day. GTA 4 sure isn't known for its amazing performance on PC either, even if mods make it look pretty. Resident Evil 4 and Dark Souls both had really bad PC launches, but the community fixed them up as I understand it. I'm trying to think of more games where the PC port was so utterly bad that consoles win hands down. In general, almost every game is better on PC since at a minimum you can play with better speed, resolution, and the controls you want (assuming there are no other extras like extra graphics improvements, mods, more features, etc.).

The only games that aren't better on PC are platformers and Fighting games... and you can use a controller for those on PC so they're the same.

This about sums it up, though typically when I'm looking for a "console" experience it is because I want to use a controller from my recliner on my big screen tv. My PC is just that, as a desk, with a chair and setup for serious gaming. So for me it is PC for Serious try hard games and Console for kick back, relax and probably with friends. I like both platforms for very different reasons. :D

This is really simple... most games will be better on PC. Unless they did a poor job porting or some other technical aspect (game uses GFWL ect.) pretty much all PC version will be better.

Here's a challenge: show me a list of games that are better on consoles than on PC. I dare you.

Won't work for you. You prefer the PC. Take someone that doesn't know dick about PC's. Now, which is better?

This about sums it up, though typically when I'm looking for a "console" experience it is because I want to use a controller from my recliner on my big screen tv. My PC is just that, as a desk, with a chair and setup for serious gaming. So for me it is PC for Serious try hard games and Console for kick back, relax and probably with friends. I like both platforms for very different reasons. :D

I also enjoy a good "potato mashing", button slapping who gives a damn game romp on a console. Only after about 15 mins of console gaming, I realize that I'd rather just watch television.

On a good PC game, I exit my "gaming arena" looking like a malnourished vampire squinting painfully at anything brighter than candle light. :cool:

Bad Company 2 certainly looks better on PC. But I preferred playing it on PS3.

A. I like the way a controller feels for that game
Except that you can totally plug in the PS3 controller into the PC. Xbox 360 controllers work automatically. The only reason not to use a gamepad on PC is because the keyboard+mouse users would cream you. Which is understandable.

B. the PC added 32 player options because PC gamers were upset about the scaled back player counts. Except-----BC2 is designed for 24 players. 32 was too much and over filled some of the maps. Particularly for Rush.
Just joint servers that limit to 25 players?
I like Diablo better with a controller. Ever since the PSone version.
Again just use a controller on PC? It's not PC gaming never had controllers. In the 90's the best way to game was to get a sound card with a controller game port. This was before USB was standard.

Free-shipping-PC-4-Channel-MIDI-GAME-Port-3D-Audio-PCI-Sound-Card-Full-duplex-64.jpg

Then you bought a Microsoft sidewinder to plug into it.
Microsoft_sidewinder.jpg

Just my opinion but pretty much any third person combo/button masher like the Arkham series. While yes you can get a controller for PC, and a PC in the theater room but I like having a console there, little maintenance fuss/muss slap in a game and play etc.

I do think its silly to bring up specific games because there are game types that lend themselves to one platform over another.

FPS tend to be better on PC
Any precision shooting is pretty much always better on PC
Complicated rpg games PC
Button Mashers console
I prefer light driving games on console (not talking about uber sim etc).
3rd person shooters I can play on console depending.

I tend to put in more hours on PC games, probably due to online FPS but mods and updates generally keep them alive more than throw away console games (which can be entertaining too).

+1

I tend to use my console mostly for netflix and blu-ray.. but I have been playing ratchet and clank a bit lately... what a fun and entertaining game.

For others, they are awesome on the controller, but suck with mouse/keyboard. So, for them, the game is better on console. For them, not for me.

Just to question this a bit, for those games you prefer playing with a controller, would you prefer to play them on the PC if you had a controller to play them with? I'm a pc only gamer at this point, I used to play on consoles until I built a gaming pc. But I also have a wireless xbox 360 controller for my pc which I use with those games that need it.

I've played quite a few games on my PC that are best played with an XBox 360 controller. Car racing games, flying games, lots of platformer style games, Dark Souls. I've also played lots of games that are absolutely mouse and keyboard games (too many to list here).

Just Cause 2 is both; the controller is best for driving cars and flying planes, mouse and keyboard is best for walking around and shooting things and flying helicopters, and switching between the two does not involve changing settings so you can just put the controller down and start using the keyboard and mouse or vice versa.

Except that you can totally plug in the PS3 controller into the PC. Xbox 360 controllers work automatically. The only reason not to use a gamepad on PC is because the keyboard+mouse users would cream you. Which is understandable.

Just joint servers that limit to 25 players?

Again just use a controller on PC? It's not PC gaming never had controllers. In the 90's the best way to game was to get a sound card with a controller game port. This was before USB was standard.

Free-shipping-PC-4-Channel-MIDI-GAME-Port-3D-Audio-PCI-Sound-Card-Full-duplex-64.jpg

Then you bought a Microsoft sidewinder to plug into it.
Microsoft_sidewinder.jpg

That image took me back! I think I still have an MS sidewinder in a box in my basement somewhere.

They're all better on the PC. If you like a controller while sitting on your couch, then hook up a controller to your PC and sit on the couch with it attached to your TV. It's like a console at that point with a lot more power.

Just my opinion but pretty much any third person combo/button masher like the Arkham series. While yes you can get a controller for PC, and a PC in the theater room but I like having a console there, little maintenance fuss/muss slap in a game and play etc.

I do think its silly to bring up specific games because there are game types that lend themselves to one platform over another.

FPS tend to be better on PC
Any precision shooting is pretty much always better on PC
Complicated rpg games PC
Button Mashers console
I prefer light driving games on console (not talking about uber sim etc).
3rd person shooters I can play on console depending.
This argument keeps coming up, like it's IMPOSSIBLE to play with a gamepad on your couch with a living room PC. It's a false dichotomy. Except for exclusives and occasional awful ports, the PC can do everything the consoles can + more.

Like how is Street Fighter on a console with a gamepad on your couch better than Street Fighter on a living room PC with a gamepad on your couch?

They're all better on the PC. If you like a controller while sitting on your couch, then hook up a controller to your PC and sit on the couch with it attached to your TV. It's like a console at that point with a lot more power.

Sorry, console takes up less space, is easier all around to operate with a controller from power-on to power-off, does everything I want it to in that space and lets me play games that are not and never will be available on my PC.

My PC is more powerful, more easily upgraded and will play things that my console will never play as well. However one thing it isn't is small or easily moved. So I don't want it in my living room.

Point being is that this PC fits all argument is dumb. It doesn't fit all as there are limitations to it.

Isn't this what the mini steam boxes are supposed to fix? It streams the game from your PC to the Living room TV?

Point being is that this PC fits all argument is dumb. It doesn't fit all as there are limitations to it.
No there are limitations for YOU because you don't want your PC in the living room. That doesn't change the fact that you can do everything on a PC ... and better .. than on any console.

Sorry, console takes up less space, is easier all around to operate with a controller from power-on to power-off, does everything I want it to in that space and lets me play games that are not and never will be available on my PC.

My PC is more powerful, more easily upgraded and will play things that my console will never play as well. However one thing it isn't is small or easily moved. So I don't want it in my living room.

The only part of your argument that holds any water are the exclusive games. Everything else, yes, you can do the same on a PC if you want to set it up that way.

In my Personal opinion.

Console:
Racing games
fighting games (tekken, street fighter etc)
I also think gta like games are better on the pc, think of the driving controls.
Rpg (final fantasy)
any third person game
Flight sims

Pc:
Fps
Worms
flight sims
Rpg games with many options (think wow)

Saying this I have a xbox remote for the pc, a joystick and a wheel/peddles so I play all games on my pc but if I was choosing to limit use to the keyboard and mouse the list above applies.

Some games are better with a controller. Some because they were crippled to make the controller useful. The only style I've seen where a controller is maybe the better choice, third person melee combat games which comprise a lot of console games and PC not so much.

But since you can use a controller on a PC, it only levels the playing field if you don't mind the graphics which will never get better.

No there are limitations for YOU because you don't want your PC in the living room. That doesn't change the fact that you can do everything on a PC ... and better .. than on any console.

The only part of your argument that holds any water are the exclusive games. Everything else, yes, you can do the same on a PC if you want to set it up that way.

If the two of you bothered actually reading posts instead of Herp Derp hitting reply when you see a post saying PC Can't you would know that the limitations I posted are exactly that and my entire argument is correct. Sorry but the specific points I focused on aren't points that can be argued. As I said, I use both platforms and understand them both quite well. I've built more than my share of high end gaming rigs as well as HTPC's. I'm not discounting the value of an HTPC but to try and argue that they can do "Everything" a console can is just stupid. They cannot be operated like a console or replace a console and that is a flat fact. You can't operate a PC from your couch exclusively from it being powered off to completely powered down with a controller PERIOD.

Back