Swatting Incidents Lead To Teen’s Arrest

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know how you've always suspected that people that pull this kind of crap are prepubescent teens? Well, it looks like you were right. Thanks to cageymaru for the link.

The most recent incident occurred on Jan. 20 in which, police said, someone called the local dispatch center to tell them he was holding 10 people hostage in the 1600 block of Bridgeport Lane in Camarillo— the home of one of the boy’s female classmates.

Frankly I don't care if the little shit stain is five, he should be charged with attempted murder.
I could give two shits if this POS could understand the ramifications of his actions, he understood the world enough to want to cause pain.

awww how cute, it's just a 13 year old boy showing his crushes for his teacher and classmate...

It's a goddamn shame they can't charge him as an adult. Normally I'd give kids the benefit of the doubt, except my generation and the one after me has gone full blown retard, and that's an insult to people with mental handicaps.

Swatting can get people killed. It almost has many times in the past. If a kid thinks it's a harmless act or treats it as a joke then the state definitely needs to take a look into that individuals psyche. Being young has a lot of blessings. You are smarter than parents, adults, and the laws treat you. Once kids figure that part out that's when the rebellious side comes out.

Part of the blame can be on the police using swat for everything now. But swatting is F'd up though.

Frankly I don't care if the little shit stain is five, he should be charged with attempted murder.

Maybe if the gestapo police force wouldn't conduct a full scale military assault for every 911 call then there would not be a possibility of a death occurring. It is extremely dangerous to deploy a SWAT team for every 911 call without confirmation since the police treat everyone as threat.

Right, blame the child. The child is the problem, not a ridiculous over-reactionary militarized police force that will open fire with machine guns and deploy tanks at the drop of a hat with the slightest provocation.

Kids will continue to be kids, they always have and they always will be. That doesn't mean that they don't deserve to be smacked with a belt until their ass bleeds, but they are SUPPOSED to be stupid and immature. Its a defining characteristic of being a sub-adult.

What we SHOULD be pissed at are all the fear mongerers that support a police state where everyone goes batshit crazy over nothing. Remember how they had a SWAT team bashing through doors and securing an entire university and and then swarming a teacher with machine guns pointed at his face that was carrying, you guessed it, a black umbrella on a rainy day? Or the use of tear gas and flashbangs and armored personnel carriers to raid homes when looking for nothing more than somebody growing marijuana?

You know what should happen when just one single pimply 13 year old calls the cops with an outrageous tale, and no one else can verify it? Just investigate, then escalate. Swatting is something that should be EXTREMELY rare, something the police force calls in when they are responding to a bank robbery hostage situation where bombs or automatic weapons are involved. NOT something you can order to someone's house easier than a Dominos pizza delivery.

Blame the GOVERNMENT for Swatting, not children.

Folks, lets place the blame squarely on both the kid AND the parents. Make sure the kid and the parents spend plenty of time (including summertime) doing lots and lots of community service. Actions do have consequences, even if some of those consequences are unexpected. Of course, I'm the one who believes in karma, even if it runs over your dogma. :)

Let me guess. This kid probably had a video game console AND a computer in their own room, probably to keep the kid "busy" while the parents did their own thing. Bad idea. Using a computer should be a privilege. If a kid is using a computer, it should be in a common area where other family members can be, and it will limit the mischief.

I could give two shits if this POS could understand the ramifications of his actions, he understood the world enough to want to cause pain.

Agreed, they need to learn that these things aren't a joke at all... I hate swatting!

“This is bigger than a scolding because of the number of resources utilized in all three incidents.”

Better be charged as an adult is all i can say.

Part of the blame can be on the police using swat for everything now. But swatting is F'd up though.

How else is LE supposed to respond if a caller "[...] demanded a large sum of money and said he would blow up the house if his demands were not met. The caller gave police a detailed description of the types of weapons and explosives he would use."

Real crap like this happens today. How would you respond, Galvin, if you were LE? Not flaming, just curious as to how LE is at any way to blame.

Maybe if the gestapo police force wouldn't conduct a full scale military assault for every 911 call then there would not be a possibility of a death occurring. It is extremely dangerous to deploy a SWAT team for every 911 call without confirmation since the police treat everyone as threat.

They don't "deploy a SWAT team for every 911 call", dingaling. Not sure where you're getting that.

You do understand what SWATting is, yes?

Right, blame the child. The child is the problem, not a ridiculous over-reactionary militarized police force that will open fire with machine guns and deploy tanks at the drop of a hat with the slightest provocation.

Kids will continue to be kids, they always have and they always will be. That doesn't mean that they don't deserve to be smacked with a belt until their ass bleeds, but they are SUPPOSED to be stupid and immature. Its a defining characteristic of being a sub-adult.

What we SHOULD be pissed at are all the fear mongerers that support a police state where everyone goes batshit crazy over nothing. Remember how they had a SWAT team bashing through doors and securing an entire university and and then swarming a teacher with machine guns pointed at his face that was carrying, you guessed it, a black umbrella on a rainy day? Or the use of tear gas and flashbangs and armored personnel carriers to raid homes when looking for nothing more than somebody growing marijuana?

You know what should happen when just one single pimply 13 year old calls the cops with an outrageous tale, and no one else can verify it? Just investigate, then escalate. Swatting is something that should be EXTREMELY rare, something the police force calls in when they are responding to a bank robbery hostage situation where bombs or automatic weapons are involved. NOT something you can order to someone's house easier than a Dominos pizza delivery.

By your own admission, this was a swatting incident as the child claimed that there were bombs in the house (reading FTW). Oh wait...this isn't about the incident. This is about how you don't like police...my bad :rolleyes:

The hell is up with people blaming the government / police ??

These kids doing the calling know exactly the buttons to push to induce a SWAT response. They aren't just saying there's a robbery in progress or some old lady got her purse stolen. They are giving out situations where you NEED swat to show up.

I remember the story about a Dota 2 streaming couple that got home invaded. The people watching the stream got in touch with people that new their address and Swat saved their lives. The police don't know what they can safely ignore or not.

How else is LE supposed to respond if a caller "[...] demanded a large sum of money and said he would blow up the house if his demands were not met. The caller gave police a detailed description of the types of weapons and explosives he would use."
If a young boy with a cracking voice called me, I would deploy the nearest squad car to investigate, and continue to keep the caller on the line and start to ask questions to see if the story sounds like bullshit or not and if I can identify who the caller is and where they are calling from.

This is how things used to be done. The militarization of our police with insanely frequent use of special forces SWAT groups, that are really nothing but army soldiers playing a civilian role, is a relatively recent change, especially with the mass distribution of military surplus vehicles and arms which was a really really stupid idea.

This should NOT BE NORMAL!
lead.jpg

militarize-police.jpg

homeland-security-navistar-mrap-vehicle.jpg

I remember the story about a Dota 2 streaming couple that got home invaded. The people watching the stream got in touch with people that new their address and Swat saved their lives. The police don't know what they can safely ignore or not.
Why would two regular police officers not have been sufficient to investigate, and then if they found it was an active-shooter or hostage situation, THEN they can either call in for regular police backup or if they think its really bad then call in SWAT.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

By your own admission, this was a swatting incident as the child claimed that there were bombs in the house (reading FTW). Oh wait...this isn't about the incident. This is about how you don't like police...my bad :rolleyes:
How embarrassing for you.

Learn to read, then come back and I'll accept your apology for jumping the gun. And I have nothing against police officers, and I encourage the use of police officers. I do not encourage the overuse of SWAT. Only 7% of SWAT usage last year was even for active-shooter, hostage, etc calls, and of course many of those weren't real. That means that the majority of the time they are serving simple warrants.

I understand that having a sledge hammer in your toolbox is a good idea.

I am merely pointing out how absolutely fucktarded it is to have your sledge hammer be the primary tool you use to fix everything in your house... if we're just hanging up a picture, don't come running at me full speed like this:
apple1984sledgehammer.jpg

What, 2 of those are just rescue vehicles. It's even painted on them!
I can't tell if you are serious or making a joke, lol! Sadly, there really are people dumb enough not to be offended as long as the PD writes "rescue" on the side. Ohhh, its not a military vehicle, its a rescue truck. That's about as blatant as an old guy in a trench coat writing "free candy" on the side of his 1980s brown van... we know what it is.

you guys are messed up. These people put themselves in harms way every freaking day. Yeah sometimes they make poor decisions, it sucks but it happens.

If someone told you where was a bomb and a gunman out the house I dare you to walk up, knock on the door and ask..if they have a bomb or not.

But hey it's the Polices fault criminals break the law... how typical.

I can't tell if you are serious or making a joke, lol! Sadly, there really are people dumb enough not to be offended as long as the PD writes "rescue" on the side. Ohhh, its not a military vehicle, its a rescue truck. That's about as blatant as an old guy in a trench coat writing "free candy" on the side of his 1980s brown van... we know what it is.

I was sort of trolling you :D

On a serious note, I think you are right about these incidents being overly aggressive, but who can really determine what exactly is an appropriate use of force? I would like to defer to the experts, which would be the police themselves, however, I would think there is a conflict of interest as so far as them needing to justify their SWAT teams, and increase their budgets.

SWATing when a cracked voice pre-teen calls is silly. Send normal cops first to at least do some recon before deploying the hammer. Maybe actually call the house that is supposedly be held hostage while the SWAT is gearing up?

No, the Police are alway right guys. :rolleyes:

If someone told you where was a bomb and a gunman out the house I dare you to walk up, knock on the door and ask..if they have a bomb or not..
If an anonymous little boy who isn't even in the same state calls me and says "Hey ya this dude has a uhhhhhh bomb in his house, lol", no, no I would not send a SWAT team.

I would ask, "who are you, where are you, how do you know this information, who is in the house, and stay on the line another officer will be coming to where you are located to take your statement as well".

And one or two nearby squad cars can drive up, and if they feel unsafe then stay behind their vehicles across the street and use the bullhorn to tell the occupants to raise their hands and step out of the house.

How do you think that police responded before 9/11? Why was that response inadequate?

militarization-of-police-cartoon-cole.jpg

SWATing when a cracked voice pre-teen calls is silly

voice changer is probably built right into the software he was using :rolleyes:

If they can make software that makes miley cyrus sound okay i'm sure they can make software to make a 13 year old sound 20

If someone (victim) died between the time a normal patrol car showed up and a SWAT team finally getting there, the family of that victim would have an army of lawyers on the job very shortly. People in this country think everything is worth a lawsuit. About the only option left for companies, governments, etc. is to over-react and hope they did enough to avoid the court system.

If someone (victim) died between the time a normal patrol car showed up and a SWAT team finally getting there, the family of that victim would have an army of lawyers on the job very shortly. People in this country think everything is worth a lawsuit. About the only option left for companies, governments, etc. is to over-react and hope they did enough to avoid the court system.
1) You're absolutely positively unequivocally wrong. It has been proven time and time again in court that the police are NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY, and that their function is to maintain the peace. They cannot be sued for not responding quickly enough, or expected to ensure your personal safety as an individual. They are expected to do a full investigation and attempt to catch your killer after the fact, that is why good law abiding citizens need to be able to protect themselves, and why I have a CHL and carry a Kahr PM9 micro-9mm.

2) If someone (victim) died because a SWAT team came in guns blazing because of a BS tip, the family of that victim would have an army of lawyers on the job very shortly. Yes, yes, this has happened.

voice changer is probably built right into the software he was using :rolleyes:

If they can make software that makes miley cyrus sound okay i'm sure they can make software to make a 13 year old sound 20

Which is why I said also call the house and send a scout? :rolleyes:

*sigh*

no point in arguing. you guys made up your minds. Personally I would rather the officers be safe than dead

(sarcasim) but you know cops are evil racist bastards out to kill everyone not like them (/sarcasim)

Here are some botched SWAT raids, based on being given wrong information, killing innocent bystanders, or shooting an innocent in error:
http://www.cato.org/raidmap

n May 16, 2010, a Detroit SWAT crew arrived at the home of seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones, with a TV crew from the A&E network trailing them to film a show. The front door was unlocked, but the team busted open the door. Soon after, Officer Joseph Weekly's gun went off, sending a bullet through Aiyana's head. She died shortly afterward. Weekly is currently being tried for felony involuntary manslaughter; he claims it was an accident.
Cheye Calvo, mayor of Berwyn Heights, lives in a quiet D.C. suburb. On the evening of July 29, 2008, a Prince George's County SWAT team burst into Calvo's home, responding to a report of a package of marijuana on the doorstep. Upon entering, the officers shot and killed the family's two Lab retrievers, handcuffed Calvo, his wife, and his mother-in-law, and then forced them to the ground. Police later found that Calvo had been targeted in a scheme in which drug dealers used the homes of unsuspecting people as pickup points for drugs.
One night last May, 19-month-old Bounkham Phonesavanh ("Bou Bou") was sleeping in the Atlanta home of relatives. Around 2 a.m., a SWAT team arrived to arrest Bou Bou's 30-year-old cousin, an alleged drug dealer. Officers threw a flash-bang grenade into the room where Bou Bou was sleeping. It landed in his crib and exploded under his pillow, giving him third-degree burns and injuries so severe he was put in a medically-induced coma.

I would much rather have the possibility of police not showing up in time or not responding with enough force, than to live in a police state where too much force is constantly being used and innocent people and animals die in the process or have there homes wrecked.

The problem is there are too many police officers and departments (not all, but too many) that would rather play real life army man with cool toys than actually do real police work and contribute positively to society.

There is a reason why firemen are almost universally seen as heros and cops are very often seen as thugs. It's not societies fault that this perception exists. It's all the bad cops and the bullshit blue wall that causes it. And I feel bad for the really good cops out there doing good work. Hell, it's probably the majority that are good, but they are letting all the bad apples tarnish their reputation.

(sarcasim) but you know cops are evil racist bastards out to kill everyone not like them (/sarcasim)
Will you please stop with this strawman nonsense? Please explain to us who in the thread says that police officers are racist bastards that want to kill anyone, when the point is to send police officers instead of no-knock SWAT teams? That makes no sense!

And the SWAT teams really aren't to blame either. They don't know anything, they just know what they have been told, they are pumped full of adrenaline, they are given machine guns, helmets, body armor, and driven out in military vehicles and expect to be dropped into a war zone. They are only human, and will be in a normal hyper-aggressive mindset when thrust into that kind of situation.

We are blaming the GOVERNMENT for regularly throwing lions into people's homes so frequently at the drop of a hat. Not the SWAT teams, but the people that are creating such a large SWAT force even in the tiniest of towns and using them on innocent civilians.

They dont conduct full scale SWAT assault for every 911 call. Please quit being stupid.

SWAT does not use tanks and have never opened fire with machine guns, especially without provocation. Please quit being stupid.

Remember how they had a SWAT team bashing through doors and securing an entire university and and then swarming a teacher with machine guns pointed at his face that was carrying, you guessed it, a black umbrella on a rainy day?
Remember how they had a SWAT team bashing through doors and securing an elementary school the day a kid rolled up with an semi-auto rifle and blasted away something like 25 kids?

Swatting is something that should be EXTREMELY rare, something the police force calls in when they are responding to a bank robbery hostage situation where bombs or automatic weapons are involved.
That is exactly what they thought they were responding to. Please dont be stupid.

NOT something you can order to someone's house easier than a Dominos pizza delivery.
Thanks to the proliferation of firearms in this country conducting a mass murder is as easy as ordering a Domino's pizza, hence the reason they can respond as easily.

If a young boy with a cracking voice called me
Who said he had a crackling voice? Please dont be stupid.

I would deploy the nearest squad car to investigate, and continue to keep the caller on the line and start to ask questions to see if the story sounds like bullshit or not and if I can identify who the caller is and where they are calling from.
I'll make sure to attend your award ceremony when you graduate the police academy Magnum PI.

This is how things used to be done. The militarization of our police with insanely frequent use of special forces SWAT groups, that are really nothing but army soldiers playing a civilian role, is a relatively recent change, especially with the mass distribution of military surplus vehicles and arms which was a really really stupid idea.
And school shooting rampages and office massacres never used to happen then either. Everyone and their grandma didnt own an AR-15 with 10,000 rounds of ammunition at home, and .50 cal armor piercing rifles. Society militarized itself, the police simply adapted accordingly.

You people who think that they should just send a patrol car out need to have a real bad incident and then have the police only send out a single patrol car because they don't know if what they were told is true or not.

Is that what you really want?

You would rather be dead from a real incident that the police didn't know was true or not than have too many members of law enforcement sent to your place for a possibly very bad situation that ends up just being some kid that needs to pay full restitution for playing some stupid prank?

Use common sense here people.

No use recommending this. Common sense never existed for more than just a couple of people around here. Police state, huh? What a bunch of loons.

By around here, I mean in this thread. Sorry for the vagueness.

You know, this culture of shitty behavior in gaming ( swatting, harassment, racism etc.) is always blamed on men. The phrase "toxic masculinity" is constantly bandied about by the most respected critic of this culture. Yet, every time someone is arrested for swatting or when a harasser is found out, it is always a boy. A 13 or 15 year old kid.

The other person who was arrested for swatting a few months ago? Kid with wispy mustache. That Australian female gamer who smoked out her harassers on Facebook? They were all children. She even contacted their mothers. Masculinity has absolutely nothing to do with these kids. They are the very definition of juvenile.

Remember how they had a SWAT team bashing through doors and securing an elementary school the day a kid rolled up with an semi-auto rifle and blasted away something like 25 kids?
How many kids did the SWAT team save? Was that a residential address, with a tip provided by an anonymous child not near the premise?
Thanks to the proliferation of firearms in this country conducting a mass murder is as easy as ordering a Domino's pizza, hence the reason they can respond as easily.
Please explain to the class how exactly you believe firearm technology or distribution has changed in the US civilian population post 9/11, when we started this police militarization craze....
And school shooting rampages and office massacres never used to happen then either. Everyone and their grandma didnt own an AR-15 with 10,000 rounds of ammunition at home, and .50 cal armor piercing rifles. Society militarized itself, the police simply adapted accordingly.
So you want to convince us that firearms are now more common today than in the 1950s, where no one would have blinked an eye about students walking around with rifles slung on their backs on campus, and it was normal for your dad to teach you to start shooting when you were old enough to hold a gun... :rolleyes:

And we have more gun restrictions in place today than at any point in US history, and during the prohibition had organized criminals regularly using automatic weapons (something extremely rare to witness today):
6a00d8341c51c053ef0148c6eb3871970c-450wi

You're right to blame the government and police for the things you mentioned. However, you're wrong to shift blame away from the child. Police and government deserve to be held responsible each time they destroy property and traumatize law-abiding citizens. However, what this kid did is wrong, was meant to cause harm, and he should be charged.

Also, I don't think there should be a question of whether to charge someone as an adult. Children should be charged the same if they meant to cause ANY sort of harm. Period. Only when a very young child does something truly by mistake should they MAYBE get off easier than an adult.

Back