Facebook's AI Can See Inside Your Videos And Posts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ever wonder how and why your Facebook newsfeed looks the way it does?

Today at F8, its annual developer's conference, the network's CTO Mike Schroepfer talked about a specific AI prototype that can identify content in videos and the context of words. While AI for video can identify 487 types of sport activities, another reads sentences to pinpoint possessives from the grammar used. This allows the company to sift through an overwhelming load of information so it can arrive at a newsfeed that's most appropriate for the user.

I hate Facebooks default newsfeed settings. Why can't facebook understand I want to just see all of the latest posts. I intentionally don't friend 6 billion people and do not need anyone filtering what I am seeing.

People need to understand that we are not their customers - we are their product. Should be painfully obvious by now...our privacy isn't even on their radar.

Was having a "private" conversation with my band mates the other day via messenger and the conversation somehow got on aliens - suddenly ads popped up showing alien things, tv show ads about aliens...

Adblock blocks the ads, but their still farming all your information.

Correct. If you aren't the customer (paying for it) you are the product. And you might be anyway if they want to make money on both ends.

By the way, care to share which messenger you were using? Might as well call them out for shaming.

In addition to adblock, Ghostery is a good idea as it actually blocks redirects (an unblievable number of redirects) from every site you visit.

Also, I'm beginning to think that running a full time IP banlist product like Peerblock (normally only used for torrenting, but you know, it has more uses).

At least if you restrict traffic to just the site or service you are connecting to, any sifting of data that passes through the service will have to be done by them, or at the least it has to all go through their network and be passed on. This at least has the effect of minimizing your exposure to 3rd party ad revenue aggregators.

If you can't use the site or service with those 3 things running (Adblock, Ghostery, Peerblock) then maybe you should reconsider using the service.

Adblock and Ghostery have been favorites of mine for years now, but there does seem to be a need for even more now.

We are in desperate need of being able to easily restrict communication to only ONE destination when using online sevices, and easily knowing when that is not happening. We've got to retake some expectation of privacy, and reduce traffic to be through one source at a time so we KNOW who to blame when we don't get privacy.

Nobody even knows why their conference is called F8. They just make shit up as they go along.

People need to understand that we are not their customers - we are their product. Should be painfully obvious by now...our privacy isn't even on their radar.

Was having a "private" conversation with my band mates the other day via messenger and the conversation somehow got on aliens - suddenly ads popped up showing alien things, tv show ads about aliens...

Adblock blocks the ads, but their still farming all your information.

I'm not talking about privacy. I'm talking about what posts they show in my wall by default. Top stories vs recent stories. I want to see everything, newest to oldest. half the time I log in, it's back to top stories which often doesn't show post from friends that may be infrequent posters.

I know full well that a service I don't pay cash for isn't free, They are making money from my data. If the service is something I get value out of, I'm ok with that. The UI making decisions about what I am seeing often makes it less useful to me.

Facebook doesn't need AI to see that I don't use it. People are fools to sell their privacy.

Yet people have been letting google scan their mail where the information is distilled to text already.

Back