Micron and Intel Unveil New 3D NAND Flash Memory

HardOCP News

[H] News
Micron Technology, Inc., and Intel today revealed the availability of their 3D NAND technology, the world's highest-density flash memory. Flash is the storage technology used inside the lightest laptops, fastest data centers, and nearly every cellphone, tablet and mobile device. This new 3D NAND technology, which was jointly developed by Intel and Micron, stacks layers of data storage cells vertically with extraordinary precision to create storage devices with three times higher capacity1 than competing NAND technologies. This enables more storage in a smaller space, bringing significant cost savings, low power usage and high performance to a range of mobile consumer devices as well as the most demanding enterprise deployments.

I expected this to be announced later in the year. I hope this brings 1TB drives down to the $300 mark.

Yeah, I was going to say, the Samsung 850 EVO is made 3D NAND as well so what is the big deal?

It says they will announce the highest density i.e. more then what Samsung has. If they are offering twice the space for half the price of Samsung, that's a pretty big deal. If they don't then they just hyped themselves up to fall flat on their face.

Ah most interesting. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Samsung to throw 3D V-NAND onto an M.2 SSD with NVMe. Lovin' my Samsung 850 Pro.

It is. Although I expect Intel / Micron are using a smaller node than the 40nm samsung moved to with their 3D nand.

Without a doubt, but until Samsung comes out with a new process, it seems Intel has the lead. I just hope it means larger size or cheaper, and that the Intel tax is not restricting. Also doesn't sound like we will be seeing it in consumer parts just yet.

I have almost everything moved over to SSD, but the storage and game drives on my desktop, and I would LOVE to move over to a few 1TB+ SSDs for my desktop rather than 2 SSDs and 4 HDDs. People always say SSD is not needed for storage, but even on my media drive, when stuff is on SSD, you open up a folder and everything is loaded, easy and fast to browse or search, but on the HDDs it can take a bit to load all of the videos/photos. Same with my work laptop, THOUSANDS of PDF/Excel/Word/Photos (sitting at 320GB worth right now), many of the Excel files are very large and good lord can that take a long time to load off a 2.5" HDD.

If you really wanted to make a storage solution which took up a 1 slot footprint but had the length and width of, say, a dual-GPU card... how much storage could you cram onto that, both now and with this newer tech? Could you also use NVMe and use all 16 lanes of the PCI 3.0 bus?

Why isn't someone doing this?

If you really wanted to make a storage solution which took up a 1 slot footprint but had the length and width of, say, a dual-GPU card... how much storage could you cram onto that, both now and with this newer tech? Could you also use NVMe and use all 16 lanes of the PCI 3.0 bus?

Why isn't someone doing this?

Well, seeing as we have 4TB 2.5" drives and 8TB on the way with current tech...In a dual GPU sized card...Yeah, you could have a massive amount of storage, probably close to 40TB at least, and that is with current tech.

Back