Descent Underground Kickstarter

Because the only thing worse than pre-ordering a game, is to buy the promise of a game that doesn't even exist yet. A good Descent reboot would be great, and after they make it, I'll read reviews and if its good I'll buy it and play it.

We should buy games, not promises.

Because the only thing worse than pre-ordering a game, is to buy the promise of a game that doesn't even exist yet. A good Descent reboot would be great, and after they make it, I'll read reviews and if its good I'll buy it and play it.

I would say what you just said but would rather quote you and say

Well said!

Oh my god, take my money. Descent and Descent 3 were my favorite games of all time. Eric Peterson being involved is icing on the cake. He was the only tolerable personality in the Star Citizen community.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Just saying that a reboot of X, with X being a show, game, movie series, etc., is not enough to magically create funding for a studio (independent or AAA) to work on said reboot. This is how business gets done anymore, like it or not.

The times, they are a'changin'.

I didn't back it, the presentation was lacking in my view and I can't say I'm all that pumped for a Descent reboot.

I don't have problems with kickstarter or pre-orders for that matter in general. If someone wants backing via kickstarter rather than the standard avenues, they better being trying something ambitious for me to back it. I don't really care if is truly crazy, just show me there is a decent reason that you can't get a normal publisher to finance you, and you better have some kind of track record of people able to deliver.

It's a shame it's primary focus is multi. A lot of the old studio leads from the Cloud Imperium Austin studio on that team.

Just saying that a reboot of X, with X being a show, game, movie series, etc., is not enough to magically create funding for a studio (independent or AAA) to work on said reboot. This is how business gets done anymore, like it or not.

The times, they are a'changin'.
Not true at all... investors like making money and they always have. If they wanted to just sign a petition to show as part of their presentation to venture capitalists that there is market demand, then by all means. But they just don't have to anymore. They can just come up with an idea that sounds neat on first glance, and laugh all the way to the bank with no pressure or risk to themselves, as first impressions are all that matters and they can just pinch off a loaf onto a plate and tell you to enjoy and, well, you already paid for it. Or they can say they tried really hard, but the game wasn't a success and you're SOL. Or they can do really well and get a lot of interest, and then even though they already have your money and the game is bought and paid for they can sell it to a big publisher and buy themselves a yacht.

Hmm...I am going to think on this one. I did enjoy Descent back in the day.
I have similar feelings to a lot of posts here already. Backing a Kickstarter can be risky - you might get a steaming pile of poo or worse, nothing. Given the fact I already have more games than I can play in my lifetime, I really should just say no...but, still, I did like the original. Decisions.

I don't mean to be cynical but I expect to read about this many many months from now. The game will not have been developed and they will have taken the money and never release anything. Articles will spew out how kickstarter projects like this fail because of this and that and blah blah blah.....

I sure hope this is different but how many of these kickstarter game projects have seen the light of day?

http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-video-game-failure-rate/

also keep in mind they are designing this from the ground up that even when you buy it, you will have the option to spend more money with microtransactions.

Fuck them. I'd rather keep the find memories I have of Descent rather than have it whored out in 2015/2016 from someone after a quick buck.

I would say my fondest memories in the past 20 years of gaming were in Descent II. 6 degrees of freedom is a nice change from the majority of shooters.

I have backed this.

I just don't get all the hate for crowdfunding recently. Yes its a risk. I could have just dropped 30 bucks for a steaming pile of crap. So what? It's a risk I'll take for a chance at having a great new game developed.

I just hope this supports IPX.

As much as I liked the original Descent when it came out, I didn't actually like Descent 3 at all. I'm not sure Descent can be made into a good quality modern game, it just feels like a part of the past to me. The team they've put together seems competent enough, but I'm not that interested. Now if they were building a sequel to Freespace 2 then I'd be willing to risk a few bucks on that.

also keep in mind they are designing this from the ground up that even when you buy it, you will have the option to spend more money with microtransactions.

Fuck them. I'd rather keep the find memories I have of Descent rather than have it whored out in 2015/2016 from someone after a quick buck.

yep, it's riddled with microtransactions, the reward tiers are mostly digital nonsense and forum badges and a physical box of it costs 600 dollars (but has autographs scribbled on it). they don't even have a single segment of a level where they show actual gameplay.

Camelot Unchained is the only project I backed thus far still in development I think it's going to be decent for what it's worth.

I would of backed Pillars of Eternity but didn't know about it comes out tomorrow!!!

Shroud of the Avatar is the biggest disappointment of all the Kickstarter game so far they should of changed some aspects of the game make it more like Ultima scrap the top down view.
Still in Alpha so I could Dream or Can't I ??

Kicked this one. Had to. The idea of getting a new Descent game is way to enticing. If it passes funding and a measly $30 (less than half of a new AAA title) gets me a full copy, early access, and more? That's money very well spent.

Last game I kickstarted, Dreamfall Chapters, has turned out amazing so far.

How in the world is this Kickstarter for Descent Underground not funded already? The crew is almost half way to their goal with sixteen days to go so, with any luck, they might just pull this one off.

I didn't back Robert's game and I can get a full refund on that one anytime up to the release date (which makes it tempting), but anything short of that, I see no point. I might test your product for free (maybe), but I'm not going to pay you to test it.

I don't mean to be cynical but I expect to read about this many many months from now. The game will not have been developed and they will have taken the money and never release anything. Articles will spew out how kickstarter projects like this fail because of this and that and blah blah blah.....

I sure hope this is different but how many of these kickstarter game projects have seen the light of day?

http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-video-game-failure-rate/

I believe Kickstarter was popularized by successful projects, and naturally everyone started seeing it as the go-to method to fund their project. When this happens, you're going to see it flooded with failures due to everyone thinking they know what it takes to make games.

Same with early access, it was popularized by Minecraft where people bought beta access to a game which turned out to be a success. Then every one started doing it which naturally increase it's failure rate simply because most of these dev have no experience in making video games.

The flaw isn't in the system itself, but it's in the way these dev manages their project. Therefore, gamers should not decide to back a project merely because of the idea presented, but they should also take into account who's making it and decide whether they trust these dev enough to put money in their hands.

I would never bet on a bunch of dev no one have heard of. But I bet on Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity because Brian Fargo and Obsidian are veterans in the gaming industry and they have proven that they are capable of making good games.

Isnt half the listed devteam from Star Citizen? They all get fired or something?

I don't remember the details in which they left, the guy running this used to host the star citizen web series. Them being from Star Citizen is a big negative, seems like they want to ride that hype, none of them worked on the original Descent games.

Isnt half the listed devteam from Star Citizen? They all get fired or something?
No, they just figured out that the internet will give you infinite money for promising to make a game with a popular well known title from the past, whether or not you ever actually deliver a ready product to market.

I wouldn't be surprised if they continue this trend, as nobody seems to be catching on that they can just wait for games to be made and then buy them. In fact, they almost feel like they are responsible for getting the game out. *facepalm*

600k does not a solid Descent game make.

Warning flags up.

Yeah, that is probably less than a year of development if most of the people work part time. But after they raise 600K, they could go to venture funding and say "hey, this game raised 600K in a Kickstarter" and get more funding.

I'll just say what I said in the thread we already have in the PC Gaming section:

I don't have any reason to believe that Star Citizen won't be released, but a new kickstarter from a bunch of people with Star Citizen on their resumes (check out the team members) just isn't sitting well with me, particularly if it's going to be another purchasing-virtual-goods-for-real-money (ships/credits) extravaganza.

Loved Descent and would love to see a new one but looking at this campaign and seeing "1 year of maps and ships", "perpetual subscription", in-game credits, etc...I don't think so.

I'll purchase this if it's good and if it doesn't turn out to be the P2W microtransaction nightmare that it looks like it could be.

Not true at all... investors like making money and they always have. If they wanted to just sign a petition to show as part of their presentation to venture capitalists that there is market demand, then by all means. But they just don't have to anymore. They can just come up with an idea that sounds neat on first glance, and laugh all the way to the bank with no pressure or risk to themselves, as first impressions are all that matters and they can just pinch off a loaf onto a plate and tell you to enjoy and, well, you already paid for it. Or they can say they tried really hard, but the game wasn't a success and you're SOL. Or they can do really well and get a lot of interest, and then even though they already have your money and the game is bought and paid for they can sell it to a big publisher and buy themselves a yacht.
It cuts both ways, investors don't always know what they're doing either and they're far more risk-averse to a game concept that doesn't fit a standard mold. I mean look at it this way: If investors were doing their jobs competently, there wouldn't BE openings for so many games on kickstarter, because the market would have already met the need. Games like space-sims and horror games are a perfect example. There were many years where almost no publisher was touching them or making them, despite there still being a market demand for them, just because investors / big publishers thought they knew better. Then along comes crowdfunding, then all of a sudden they're exploding again.

I'm not saying there are fly-by-night or screwup operations also, but a lot of the games I've enjoyed recently have been crowdfunded whereas I'm seeing a lot of the same old crap (but shinier) from major studios.

I loved the original Descent.. Unfortunately due to Meniere's Disease, any attempt to play a game like this would make me vomit uncontrollably.. Looks like it could be awesome though.

Wonder if it'll be good enough for me to pound down some Dramamine and try playing it anyway. :p

The ships looks like turds... otherwise I'm all for another Descent.

I'm not backing.
* Not a full single player campaign
* Multiplayer focused
* Grinding or pay to unlock gameplay elements
* Didn't really enjoy Forsaken deathmatch all that much (only multiplayer I tried in a game of this style)

It seems like they want to make a Free-to-Play arena shooter with the Descent name rather than make a Descent game.

It's a shame it's primary focus is multi. A lot of the old studio leads from the Cloud Imperium Austin studio on that team.

The obvious multiplayer aspect is a huge turn-off for me, and nobody was a bigger fan of Descent, Descent II, and Descent III.

If this project was about, for example, another Material Defender in a parallel timeline with the major emphasis being a 30-level single-player campaign, with a little multi on the side, I'd would have already squeezed the trigger. In other words, just reimagine the first two games in terms of a modern, wide-screen format and good-looking OGL graphics, (so that everyone can enjoy it), and I'd be there. This? I don't think so...

I'm not backing.
* Multiplayer focused
* Didn't really enjoy Forsaken deathmatch all that much (only multiplayer I tried in a game of this style)

It seems like they want to make a Free-to-Play arena shooter with the Descent name rather than make a Descent game.
All of this. No thanks. It had actually piqued my interest until I read through the Kickstarter page.

Linux version??!!

tumblr_m5mmlpJWDy1qcnzjbo1_1280.jpg

I funded it, but I'll bitch in their ear that I want a full single player story as a stretch goal.

I'm not backing.
* Multiplayer focused

I was a huge Descent series player, but I came away with the same vibe, and didn't put down any bucks when it first went up on KS.

(No edit button.) But if it had said "and a 3D space orb controller" that probably would have changed my mind.

Back