The World's First Commercially Available Handheld Flamethrower

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
How many times have you heard the phrase kill it with fire? The phrase just took on a new meaning as the XM42, the world’s first commercially available portable flamethrower makes its debut on Monday. First thing that comes to mind is Hornet nest removal. Never mind if you burn down your house in the process, you did it with a real flamethrower, dude! :D

Legislation to make this illegal in all places where it's currently legal incoming in 3....2....

Boy the marshmallows you could roast with that thing though. Or clear snow off the deck... and clear the deck too..... and the attached house... neighbors house... forest in the back yard... :p

I would get this simply to rid myself of our neighbor's cat that likes to come in through our dog door.

Haha how can this be legally marketed.
Because there's no federal law against owning a flame thrower? Sure in places like California it's illegal to own one unless you have a license for it (presumably demo/stunt/special effects/etc).

First thing that comes to mind is Hornet nest removal.
First thing that comes to mind is how many fires will get out of control in a hurry as a result of idiots using this device for hornet net removal.

Wrong! Second. Here is the first:
SpaceballsTheFlamethrower.jpg

:D:p

Very very cool! Agreed that it would probably cause a lot of legal issues though!

Legislation to make this illegal in all places where it's currently legal incoming in 3....2....
Do you own a lighter? How about a butane torch? You have a flame thrower. Fact is, flamethrowers have never been a problem with the criminal element.

Pre-lit, they are way too obvious and bulky a weapon, too limited range, and what a lot of people don't realize is that they also just plain suck to use.

You end up roasting yourself too, as there are so many BTUs in close proximity to you.

So because they are so insanely simple to make in your backyard, and criminals don't use them, there's never been a need.

And as neat as you think this is, the reality of having to store the combustible materials, the fact that without a heat suit you'll be really uncomfortable using it, the liability of using it, and what not, I think you'll decide its not for you. The only real purpose they served was to clear out bunkers and what not since all the fuel and heat would travel quite far when firing it into an enclosed dirt/concrete place that's well insulated and it eats up all the oxygen causing people inside to suffocate.

I'd take Dragon's Breath shotgun rounds any day over a flamethrower. :D
https://youtu.be/RP4FjODPDFA?t=4m40s

Boy the marshmallows you could roast with that thing though. Or clear snow off the deck... and clear the deck too..... and the attached house... neighbors house... forest in the back yard... :p

Haha how can this be legally marketed.

I was just thinking "how the hell is this legal?" :p

I was just thinking "how the hell is this legal?" :p
Whats more lethal in your opinion? A completely legal 12 gauge SRM 1216 semi-automatic shotgun with 17 rounds of hexolit 32s (designed to easily drop the largest grizzly with one shot) that can be fired from cover, or some huge bulky limited range and firing time flame thrower?

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy with the flame thrower... knowing my luck, if the shooter didn't hit me he'd hit my flamethrower turning me into a fireball! No thanks!

No reason for em to be illegal, as they aren't very lethal compared to regular firearms, concealable, or used by criminals.

Only potential problem with this is human's stupidity. OP is joking, but I'm sure there are people out there who would actually think this will be a good way to remove hornet's nest.

Any legality issues are not going to be a result of their lethality, but more about the destruction they can cause as a secondary effect. I mean you can't just randomly set fire to anything you want, it's called arson. These are not in the same category as firearms ... although ironically firearm is more fitting for it :) and the criminal connection is not going to be a basis for why they might be illegal. If there are local statutes with restrictions for fireworks, I suspect you'll also see similar restrictions with this.

I thought flame throwers were destructive devices. I knew you could buy older military ones, but I thought they were banned from production similar to full auto.

I thought flame throwers were destructive devices. I knew you could buy older military ones, but I thought they were banned from production similar to full auto.
Nope, and the original purpose of the flame thrower was by farmers to clear fields, and today is still used by firefighters for prescribed fires (weird I know, but sometimes they burn stuff to keep stuff from burning, lol).

Okay so I need to find a job by the time this thing gets released to market, cuz I need one as soon as fucking possible. Then the next winter season that crosses my path will rue the day. *maniacal laughter*

I've been wanting a new "snow blower". ;)
Been joking about getting a flame thrower to clear the snow for awhile now.

looking at the length of that spay, i bet that can drains in just a few seconds

Nope, and the original purpose of the flame thrower was by farmers to clear fields, and today is still used by firefighters for prescribed fires (weird I know, but sometimes they burn stuff to keep stuff from burning, lol).

Yup, and IIRC the only regulation of them is the method of use for that purpose and is the under the FDA or something.

Or you know, you could just use a can of starting fluid and a lighter ! LOL

Actually, this device is kind of like the .22 of flamethrowers. This is a real flamethrower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4wBZ5q_Ug

Granted, this guy's invention is smaller, more portable, and doesn't require the huge backpack, and costs less, so you can get the "fun" factor without the cost, bulk, and weight. Great way to start a BBQ or a bonfire. As for the military using flamethrowers, they're used to clear brush more often than anything else these days. If you really want to set the enemy on fire, you could use thermobarics or napalm, but a man-portable flamethrower just screams "shoot me!" to the guys that really don't want to be set on fire... which is pretty much everybody.

^ what exactly is the 2nd marine's role? To make sure the guy with the tanks doesn't fall backward?

^ what exactly is the 2nd marine's role? To make sure the guy with the tanks doesn't fall backward?
Probably just there for safety reasons, supposed to be within arms length and can brace him (it makes the guy top heavy like walking with a SCUBA tank on) and hit the emergency shutoff if need be.

In WW2, the "flamers" (gay meant something different then too, lol) actually needed a bunch of guys to support them, as they were slow and cumbersome and easy targets. So you'd have a whole group supporting him, to get him into the needed tactical position to deploy the fire.

It's a fake! And he's not even wearing the right safety equipment.

Here's a proper example!

meet_the_pyro_wallpaper_4_by_chinaichooseyou-d5y2miz.png

It would have to be gas since not even the military is allowed to use liquid flame throwers anymore, so no it's not a real flamethrower.

It would have to be gas since not even the military is allowed to use liquid flame throwers anymore, so no it's not a real flamethrower.

The US doesn't use flamethrowers because they are not useful in modern warfare. That happened in 1978 and was voluntary. Had nothing to do with the type of fuel used.

XM42's most likely uses a liquid fuel (propane or white gas w/ propellant) due to availability and ease of refueling.

That is what Special FX flamethrower kits, readily available, run.

Back