Must See Digital Photographs of the Day

Landscape photography is overrated as fuck. The work is already done for you, and everything is at a stand still. You could take a shot while jacking off if you wanted to.

Fashion photography is where it's at.

Landscape photography is overrated as fuck. The work is already done for you, and everything is at a stand still. You could take a shot while jacking off if you wanted to.

fashion photography is some of the most unmanly things i can imagine.

Is the only way to pull this off to use a camera like the Canon 5D Mark III that can do a high ISO without introducing noise + low aperture (ex. f/2.8 - 3.2) wide angle lens?

Perhaps it wasn't quite dark yet and it was processed to make it look like it was shot during the darkest part of the night.

Another thing is that these are resized to small resolution photos, so there's no telling how shakey/blurry or noisy the originals are since it isn't possible to zoom in to inspect fine detail on the photographs, but most of these photographs do look like there wasn't very much shaking.

I suspect the photographer used a small plane or helicopter. A couple of the photos had to have been taken with a telephoto lens (300-500mm ?)

I have an idea of how to do the tilt shift photos, but would like to know what other people here know on how to do it. My idea is that you take multiple photos of the same thing, but each photo has the focus adjusted. Similar to HDR, but with focus (focus stacking??). In Photoshop you could align the layers, then use horizontal gradients with transparency to delete parts of other layers to make them blend into each other to go from an unfocused portion of the image to a focused portion and then back to an unfocused.

Or use a program http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/focus-stacking.htm

The shots are processed.

The only thing impressive is the cost to take all those pictures. While I completely agree some of the pictures are cool, you can hardly call them amazing as they are all processed to hell and back. You are looking at the work of someone who has more time and money than any of us. As far as the pictures themselves, what he is doing is not that impressive IMO.

Is the only way to pull this off to use a camera like the Canon 5D Mark III that can do a high ISO without introducing noise + low aperture (ex. f/2.8 - 3.2) wide angle lens?

Perhaps it wasn't quite dark yet and it was processed to make it look like it was shot during the darkest part of the night.

Another thing is that these are resized to small resolution photos, so there's no telling how shakey/blurry or noisy the originals are since it isn't possible to zoom in to inspect fine detail on the photographs, but most of these photographs do look like there wasn't very much shaking.

I suspect the photographer used a small plane or helicopter. A couple of the photos had to have been taken with a telephoto lens (300-500mm ?)

I have an idea of how to do the tilt shift photos, but would like to know what other people here know on how to do it. My idea is that you take multiple photos of the same thing, but each photo has the focus adjusted. Similar to HDR, but with focus (focus stacking??). In Photoshop you could align the layers, then use horizontal gradients with transparency to delete parts of other layers to make them blend into each other to go from an unfocused portion of the image to a focused portion and then back to an unfocused.

Or use a program http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/focus-stacking.htm

Photoshop does tilt-shift blurring. It's one of the nicer effects.

Also, did this guy actually take the pictures? I know some of these shots look like high-quality ones I've seen online. Most of the effects can be done in Photoshop.

Tilt shift photography is stupid. It's probably up there with HDR in terms of photographic techniques that nobody actually cares about.

There's a way to create focus. It's called composition. You seriously have to be mental to apply a faux bokeh to anything.

You sir, are a damn idiot. :rolleyes:

Those are really cool looking! But yeah, mostly a Photoshop painting project, not just because of the original photos. The blurred areas were most likely filtered in PS from just one photo, but yeah they could have been done by taking multiple shots in and out of focus. Given the fact that aircraft are normally in constant motion, I think getting multiple exposures from the exact same angle would be an unlikely solution to get that effect.

The most interesting thing about these images is the bright colors, which would have been done by selectively cranking the saturation in PS, then probably painting over those areas by hand or extra filtering to remove any artifacts created by pushing the saturation so far.

I've taken similar photographs from airplane windows before - it just requires being on the right flight at the right time, but could have been done from a helicopter for several times the price. And then a lot of work in PS to get everything looking just right. Definitely makes me want to try some processing like this. Fun stuff!

Vincent Laforet is one of the most critically acclaimed photographers of his generation. The guy is known for thinking about composition perspectives no one has thought to do before.

Here is a better series of descriptions on the methods and reasoning for the shoot:

LINK

For some other cool work as well as a cheap photog challenge:

Empire state building antenna shot

They had to go back to film camera as the antenna was messing with the electronic sensors in their DSLRs

The setup

Challenge Photog

yea I'm not impressed with over-saturated blurry photos.

The guy is known for thinking about composition perspectives no one has thought to do before.
I'd be interested in seeing those pics, if any exist.

yea I'm not impressed with over-saturated blurry photos.

I'd be interested in seeing those pics, if any exist.

Here is a full article on the shoot, including a vimeo video.

https://fstoppers.com/aerial/gotham...rview-and-air-bts-video-vincent-laforet-50982

The thing is I'm not sure if colors were saturated/blown out much at all, also many of the publication shots are heavily cropped. Lastly I'm sure that was an actual tilt shift picture not a quickie "filter" that was applied.

I honestly don't give a shit how the images were captured/manipulated, I think they look awesome.

Back