New Steam Subscriber Agreement Addresses Promotions and Endorsements

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve has added a new clause to the latest version of its Steam subscriber agreement dealing with promotions and endorsements.

C. Promotions and Endorsements:

If you use Steam services (e.g. the Steam Curators’ Lists or the Steam Broadcasting service) to promote or endorse a product, service or event in return for any kind of consideration from a third party (including non-monetary rewards such as free games), you must clearly indicate the source of such consideration to your audience.

Paid reviews do seem to crop up a lot. :D
Yeah. You know what's sad? That paid reviews have been around for decades and only now, in 2015 are they finally being addressed.

I don't know how anyone could take a gaming "journalist" seriously Hell, this crap is cropping up in Let's Play videos too.

I'm happy they aren't taking the Youtube or Nintendo path and telling people that they either can't be sponsored, or that they have to choose only one monetization method.

Youtube says that if you are sponsored or have ads in your videos, then you can't also use youtube ads. I know this isn't even an option on Steam yet, but I'm still glad they are open to people making money.

And being transparent about possible conflicts of interest is a good thing.

Back