Microsoft Is Killing Off The Internet Explorer Brand

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is killing the IE brand to make way for Project Spartan.

Speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday, Microsoft's marketing chief Chris Capossela revealed that the company is currently working on a new name and brand. "We’re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10," said Capossela. "We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing."

If you stop calling shit shit and decide to start calling it "glorious chocolate sniffle log"...

It's still shit.

Just a thought.

If you stop calling shit shit and decide to start calling it "glorious chocolate sniffle log"...

It's still shit.

Just a thought.

For that to even be relevant, they would have to be renaming IE to something else, which they aren't.

If you make a shitty post and think its just snark, its still just a shitty post.

Well, he said we'll still IE but they are naming it something else. A turd, once polished, is still a turd.

Seeing they're still using that rusty old Trident rendering engine that dates back as far as NCSA Mosaic it's still going to be IE. Why they're not making a clean break on that is mystifying.

He said they'll have IE and a second browser. They're keeping IE for all the terrible sites/business that need it and making a new browser for modern use.

Whether Spartan is a new browser or IE reskin with all the legacy baggage thrown out remains to be seen.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out being legacy-free. Windows 10 is turning into a massive release with a lot of moving parts. A lot to get done for a 2015 release, not sure how they're going to pull it off.

Marketing 101...easiest way to change the average consumer's perception of a brand is by changing the name...like when Kentucky Fried Chicken became the hipper sounding KFC...it's not your grandfathers fried chicken anymore

Jesus, such a lack of literacy from people on a Technical site....

They are renaming SPARTAN geniuses, NOT IE.

Seriously?

They should just use webkit with their own javascript engine and be done with it. Call if SilverSurfer or something.

So it's IE with the legacy support thrown out. They could actually make it decent with work then.

Haha.

What they desperately need is a good name for the Project Spartan browser. This is not a trivial challenge, and they have to get it right - a poorly chosen name would be an albatross for the next 20 years.

Microsoft is not good at naming things. I would bet on a catastrophic failure, something like Xi, or Spoon, or Bazinga. Ooooh, Bazinga, it's going to be that, yes, you heard it from me first, just watch.

They should called it Gates. No, I am actually being serious for once.

"Windows 10 Browser" - in keeping with Balmer's self-destructive innovation, in making the only major browser that limits itself to the newest version of Windows, leaving users of any earlier Windows to use Chrome or Firefox.

The reason IE has remained garbage has to do more with Microsoft's need for backward compatibility more than it does the rendering engine. Microsoft just has to invest the resources to improve Trident and forget about backwards compatibility.

If there's no branding conflict I could see Microsoft going with the Halo theme like they did with Cortana and sticking with Spartan. Cortana was kind of a slam dunk for what it is, Spartan not so much.

That demo shows nothing about the new browser. People who know a little about CSS will know that almost all browsers have their on little prefixes on CSS3 that does the exact same thing, let alone DOM syntaxes. They can rename IE to whatever they want, but under the hood it is still the same engine that hooks to .net framework. The real questions are, does it actually support HTML5 to its full potential? Does it support LESS natively? Does it have a JS engine that utilizes ARMS, CPU and GPU effectively and efficiently? And most importantly, does it a robust developer's console?

That's a long time for damage control. The cynic in me says they'll change nothing but the name. Good luck though MS.

They'll call it Bing.
Nobody will be surprised.
Unless they call if Forerunner or Frat Boy Crinkled Hand Console Jockey or something.

It's still shit.

Just a thought.

Worked for Windows Vista when they changed it to Windows 7. The tech industry ate that marketing bite right up.

This reminds me of GM. If the car didn't sell very well, come up with a replacement, give it a new catchy name and let it go stale longer than the competitor. Rinse and repeat.

Navigate the next generation of websites with Microsoft Internet Voyager.

You've used our search engine, now, use our web browser. Microsoft Bing! Browser.

The reason IE has remained garbage has to do more with Microsoft's need for backward compatibility more than it does the rendering engine. Microsoft just has to invest the resources to improve Trident and forget about backwards compatibility.

A lot of what they did in 10 and 11 did just that, or at least made it optional. Their current problems are usually because of these two issues, A program/site assuming that if a client is on IE, then it's 6 or 8, and invalid documodes in webpages which will automatically knock IE into compatibility mode. This is why some versions of IE will report themselves as Firefox so it can get around the assumptions.

They still are behind in some standards, but this isn't the 7 or 8 days where they are eons behind the times, frankly what's missing shouldn't break most pages. I think their biggest issue is just getting people to actually give it a proper chance

He said they'll have IE and a second browser. They're keeping IE for all the terrible sites/business that need it and making a new browser for modern use.

Whether Spartan is a new browser or IE reskin with all the legacy baggage thrown out remains to be seen.
I imagine that's their goal finally drop all that legacy stuff they kept for their business package plus the change of name might get people to actually treat the browser separate from IE while coding their websites so the legacy crap doesn't mess up the rendering. You know the shitty websites that treat IE like it's still IE8 or something and things would just work and render better if you change your user-string to chrome or firefox.

Been alternating between IE11 for the smooth scrolling and Chrome for correctness and stability but with smoothness improvement in Chrome 42.0.2311.39 beta along with light weight uBlock I can finally retire the flaky IE11.

Been alternating between IE11 for the smooth scrolling and Chrome for correctness and stability but with smoothness improvement in Chrome 42.0.2311.39 beta along with light weight uBlock I can finally retire the flaky IE11.

Tried the Chrome 42.0.2311.39 beta yesterday. It's still not nearly as smooth for touch based browsing as IE 11 from my observation. I really can't think of many times I've had any issues with IE 11. I think most IE 11 problems I've seen have a lot to do with ads and popups.

Chrome 42.0.2311.39 beta has about 90% scrolling smoothness of IE11 but pretty much 100% stability. IE11 is smoother but I'd say 70% stability. Ads and popups aren't an issue since EasyList ad block and privacy protection are enabled within IE11 built-in tracking protection. Probably the two biggest issues I've run across in IE11 is sometimes pages go blank white and only way to recover is to close all tabs/browser then relaunch. It'll also randomly hang and present the 'recover' option. Sometimes if you wait long enough it'll recover on its own otherwise you have to close and relaunch. Don't have time for that.

IE 11 is pretty good. Not as fast as Chrome but I use both, usually for places where I have two accounts so I don't need to switch logins.

Wait for it.... Wait for it....

Microsoft Surf
It works like Internet Explorer!

Back