Google Snafu Leaks Hidden Whois Data For 280k Domains

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think the worst part about this is the fact that this whole thing started back in 2013.

Starting in mid 2013, a software defect in Google Apps started leaking the data, including names, phone numbers, physical addresses, e-mail addresses, and more. The bug caused the data to become public once a domain registration was renewed.

So, I have never understood this.

The domain registration services always charge a premium for making the information anonymous.

Why not just enter fake data? Is there some sort of rule that this information NEEDS to be correct?

Zarathustra[H];1041482391 said:

The domain registration services always charge a premium for making the information anonymous.

Why not just enter fake data? Is there some sort of rule that this information NEEDS to be correct?
ICANN requires the data to be accurate and updated yearly. That being said, theres nothing stopping you from setting up hosting and buying domain names with a prepaid visa card.

Zarathustra[H];1041482391 said:

Yes, per ICANN (regulations, rules, whatever) it has to be correct info, and needs to be re-verified every 6 months I think. I am constantly having to re-verify the WHOIS info via the registrar on our 100+ domains we manage, as its PER domain. This started a few years ago, so is relatively new I believe.

You can still put in fake, but then the registrar has the right to suspend your domain if discovered to be fake. not saying this actually occurs, as everything I do is legit so never ran afoul of these rules.

Yes, per ICANN (regulations, rules, whatever) it has to be correct info, and needs to be re-verified every 6 months I think. I am constantly having to re-verify the WHOIS info via the registrar on our 100+ domains we manage, as its PER domain. This started a few years ago, so is relatively new I believe.

You can still put in fake, but then the registrar has the right to suspend your domain if discovered to be fake. not saying this actually occurs, as everything I do is legit so never ran afoul of these rules.

Well that stinks.

Was considering setting up a blog, but I don't want to have my private contact information exposed, and I'm sure as hell not paying extra for an anonymizing service.

What information do they verify?

If it's just email, I can always use a burner account.

Zarathustra[H];1041482751 said:
Well that stinks.

Was considering setting up a blog, but I don't want to have my private contact information exposed, and I'm sure as hell not paying extra for an anonymizing service.

What information do they verify?

If it's just email, I can always use a burner account.

I don't remember having to provide this information last time I had a registered domain. (~2001-2004 or so)

I've never had to verify my data before. It's all accurate, and visible, though. FWIW, I use GoDaddy for my domains.

I've never had to verify my data before. It's all accurate, and visible, though. FWIW, I use GoDaddy for my domains.

GoDaddy sends out these emails regularly so if you're not getting them they're probably in your spam folder.

s8Zk27d.jpg

That being said, I have multiple domain names that I've had for years with fake ICANN registration info and they've never been cancelled. A couple of them are seeing 30-75k uniques/month too so I hope they don't catch on, lol.

Back