Study Finds There Are Too Many Studies

HardOCP News

[H] News
We've been saying this for years. I guess it took someone actually doing a study to realize that there are just too damn many studies. :D

‘Attention decay in science‘, a new paper published by professors from universities in Finland and California, reports that “the attention that can be devoted to individual papers measured by their citation counts, is bound to decay rapidly,” due to the overwhelming number of studies.

my wife and I talk all the time about trying to get into doing government studies so we can make money off them for doing essentially nothing on some really stupid topic.

Not that surprising. Human mind cannot handle the amount of data that is currently produced from actual real research. And all the poor studies go on top of that...

It`s going to become more and more a domain of computer systems such as Watson, which can shift through mountains of data and bring relevant information to the user in more manageable form.

Considering many of these studies are graduate work by students who are doing them as exercises in process and not for the research of a topic I think the problem is that every shit-handle "journal" website on the internet loves to publish anything that will get them a click. Even a paper by a student about something inane that was never about the topic but was about demonstrating their ability to do the research process to their professors. Those articles trigger the anti-government goon squads with near 100% effectiveness, the government funds very, very, very few of these but never let facts get in the way of glorious outrage.

Outrage = Clicks.

Maybe fake news journal websites should stop scouring college publications for click bait. I think the real solution is for the number of fake news journal websites to decline by 90%.

Considering many of these studies are graduate work by students who are doing them as exercises in process and not for the research of a topic I think the problem is that every shit-handle "journal" website on the internet loves to publish anything that will get them a click. Even a paper by a student about something inane that was never about the topic but was about demonstrating their ability to do the research process to their professors. Those articles trigger the anti-government goon squads with near 100% effectiveness, the government funds very, very, very few of these but never let facts get in the way of glorious outrage.

Outrage = Clicks.

Maybe fake news journal websites should stop scouring college publications for click bait. I think the real solution is for the number of fake news journal websites to decline by 90%.

I think the issue is that we see the government funding some just off the wall studies and that really pisses people off.

Was it here that I saw the study about penguins pooping some years back?

my wife and I talk all the time about trying to get into doing government studies so we can make money off them for doing essentially nothing on some really stupid topic.

It isn't so much that, but the sheer amount of submittal paperwork and wading through the minutiae of government bureaucracy to get through to get that money. Then there are milestones and hurdles to jump through.

Was it here that I saw the study about penguins pooping some years back?

There was a study to show the effects of horse farts when jets would fly overhead and that was a $2 million dollar study. No joke.

Back