Intel Extreme Masters Supports Women in Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today marked the beginning of the World Championship for international eSports gaming tournament Intel Extreme Masters, in Katowice, Poland. Sunday will also feature the finals of Intel Challenge Katowice, with four women’s teams competing from the initial pool of 50. Announced at last week’s Game Developers Conference, Intel is now the lead sponsor for the North America female team finalists, Ubinited. Team captain Stephanie Harvey will also participate in a panel to discuss women in e-sports on Saturday at 2pm CET. You can catch all the action from Intel Extreme Masters and Intel Challenge Katowice, including the women in eSports panel, streamed live on Twitch.tv.

I don't really see what there is to discuss. You either are good enough to make the cut, or you are not. The only way sex comes into the discussion is if you are talking about the shit female teams that are in no way competitive getting their own joke of a league.

I doubt that most women are going to buy off on the thing about needing a special keyboard and mouse with bling-lights in it and removable $50 bits of extra metal as "weight adjustments" to play video games which is a big hurdle to participating in e-sports *snerk* since companies that do the sponsorship thing want the people they sponsor to genuinely believe those devices make a difference in order to generate higher margin sales on supposedly premium gaming products.

I think if anyone actually cared about women in "e-sports" they would be working to get rid of separate divisions for men and women. Why fight against implied sexism when overt sexism is right there?

I think if anyone actually cared about women in "e-sports" they would be working to get rid of separate divisions for men and women. Why fight against implied sexism when overt sexism is right there?

Agree.

The very fact that there is an explicitly created "all female team" is part of the problem.

If you are good at a game, and like playing it it shouldn't matter what your gender is.

All that being said, I still think the concept of professional gaming, e-sports or whatever you want to call it is plain dumb, and makes just as much sense as professional TV Watching.

Playing games is a pleasant distraction. That is all.

How about those of you who are against esports just stay out of these threads? You don't see new coming into baseball and football threads and thread crapping even though I think the professional version of those are stupid to watch. You can bang your canes all you want, but reality is there is an audience and esports are here to stay.

I am waiting for the middle age white guy gaming leagues to start. I just can't hang with young people and foreigners anymore, there should be a series for me. Forcing me to compete with younger and foreign people who game professionally is discriminatory against me.

I want to see how the ladies smack talk in competition. What is that going to look like.

Played Ubinited in ESEA open last season with a poorly slapped together team made within the last 15 minutes of the team creation window for the season and lost by like 3 rounds, with my friend and I carrying the team. If only I was a girl...

Is there a men's only tournament?
I agree, this doesn't make any sense. Its like having separate men's only and women's only chess competitions.

Boxing, football, and so forth where physicality is important, women simply CANNOT compete... they simply would never rise to the ranks of the top 1%, and so they need separate class to where women can compete against women.

But using a mouse and keyboard? It implies that women are too slow and dimwitted to compete with males in gaming.

Some of them are actually attractive enough to have sex with.

I don't really see what there is to discuss. You either are good enough to make the cut, or you are not.

Yup. I'm all for women getting in there and kicking ass. No one is stopping them, they aren't oppressed. We WANT women in there playing games with us. Most (there are some assholes) are very civil and cool when women play with us.

But using a mouse and keyboard? It implies that women are too slow and dimwitted to compete with males in gaming.

Well... I do kick my wife's ass at Mario Kart. Sometimes. I still say I let her win, though, and she believes me. Really, though, she just kicked my ass and I was trying really hard to win.:confused:

I don't really see what there is to discuss. You either are good enough to make the cut, or you are not. The only way sex comes into the discussion is if you are talking about the shit female teams that are in no way competitive getting their own joke of a league.

Considering that the vast majority of competitive gaming is male dominated and not very friendly all the time to female players (the proof is extensive on this..) it makes sense to allow women a different avenue to cultivate and encourage more female gamers to participate as pro gamers. Giving them their own league makes sense for this reason. Eventually it should be all in one and inclusive but honestly the amount of shit I've heard thrown at the maybe 5 or 6 female competitive gamers at Smash tournaments is fucking horrifying. I've heard many other "pro" players talk about their fellow competitive female competitors like they are nothing but a fuck hole with hands and that they shouldn't be allowed to play since they are quote "Too fucking dumb to even comprehend the extent of the gaming scene anyway because they are into girly shit I don't care about" or "I hope **** gets raped when she goes back to her apartment , she should just go the fuck home and quit trying. Women don't belong in the competitive gaming scene.."

Now granted , I don't want anyone , regardless of anything (color , sex , sexual preference) given a soft glove in their respective tournaments but women in competitive gaming are pretty freaking rare the numbers support that. Allowing people to give them the room they need to grow outside of the male dominated space doesn't encourage anything but good prospecting for talent and ultimately a better place for them to compete safely and focus on what actually matters .. the game.

Considering that the vast majority of competitive gaming is male dominated and not very friendly all the time to female players (the proof is extensive on this..) it makes sense to allow women a different avenue to cultivate and encourage more female gamers to participate as pro gamers. Giving them their own league makes sense for this reason. Eventually it should be all in one and inclusive but honestly the amount of shit I've heard thrown at the maybe 5 or 6 female competitive gamers at Smash tournaments is fucking horrifying. I've heard many other "pro" players talk about their fellow competitive female competitors like they are nothing but a fuck hole with hands and that they shouldn't be allowed to play since they are quote "Too fucking dumb to even comprehend the extent of the gaming scene anyway because they are into girly shit I don't care about" or "I hope **** gets raped when she goes back to her apartment , she should just go the fuck home and quit trying. Women don't belong in the competitive gaming scene.."

Now granted , I don't want anyone , regardless of anything (color , sex , sexual preference) given a soft glove in their respective tournaments but women in competitive gaming are pretty freaking rare the numbers support that. Allowing people to give them the room they need to grow outside of the male dominated space doesn't encourage anything but good prospecting for talent and ultimately a better place for them to compete safely and focus on what actually matters .. the game.

So because there are a few douchebags we should encourage "Segregation" instead of simply dealing with those douchebags? That makes total sense. :rolleyes:

Since you aren't really in tune with the competitive scene, let me enlighten you to something very important. While there are some instances where someone is just a misogynistic asshole, in most cases the hatred to female gamers is driven by this "lower standards for females" mentality. You see as has been mentioned, there is absolutely Zero reason physically and mentally females cannot game on the same level as males. So many in the pro scene feel it belittles the work they had to put in to get where they are when a female league is created with vastly different standards. There is also the little fact that in most cases these female players/teams are not comprised of the best of the best but simply of the best of the beautiful or what I refer to as the "powder puff" leagues. They find some extremely attractive female, parade her around in a bunch of "show matches" and call her a pro even tho her skill level is typically barely mid ladder. Starcraft has been particularly bad about this. So yes in these cases those females Don't get respect and aren't going to get respect because they don't in fact have any damn business being there. You will find that the handful of ones who actually do belong and actually did earn their ticket don't receive any more grief then any other male gamer.

So no, It isn't a discussion if they are held to the EXACT SAME STANDARDS. They make the cut then the pro leagues can simply do what any other sport does when a competitor runs their mouth saying something stupid and fine or suspend them. Once that starts happening then the problem is fixed. However the problem will not be fixed so long as we have people trying to perpetuate bullshit band-aid fixes like giving them their own segregated lowered bar leagues.

Played Ubinited in ESEA open last season with a poorly slapped together team made within the last 15 minutes of the team creation window for the season and lost by like 3 rounds, with my friend and I carrying the team. If only I was a girl...

Their team is probably poorly slapped together for most of their open matches too. Their roster varies wildly. They have very average players on their roster as well as some pretty damn good players.

Their communication didn't seem great to me, but that's normal for all American teams.

Also, for all I know you started CT side of nuke and lost by 3 rounds. In which case that could be a stomping.

Back