WD® Delivers World's Most Power-Efficient High-Capacity 3.5" HDD For Modern Datacente

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company and world leader in storage today introduced new datacenter hard drives that deliver to today’s modern datacenter architects the lowest power consumption of any high-capacity 3.5-inch hard drive available today. The WD Re+™ hard drive family is the newest component of WD’s full, tiered portfolio of high-capacity datacenter storage devices. Further expanding that portfolio will be 6 terabyte (TB) capacities for WD’s popular WD Re™ and WD Se™ datacenter product lines, providing customers a spectrum of capabilities, tiered to their varied demands of application intensity, power optimization and cost efficiency.

I was wondering when the RE line was going to get a refresh as it was due.
The 6/5 FSYZ are 4K native and it's about time.

Last edited:
The Re+ has a slower RPM (it's NOT 7200 like the regular Re), and it has a slower transfer rate.

However, it still has the low error rate of the Re line, so if the price is right, and you just need the high capacity, this might be the drive to go for.

As for me, I'll be sticking to the 4TB drives for now. More proven reliability, and cheaper per TB.

True the RE+ are only 5700 but the RE line also includes the new 5 and 6 with 128mb cache.
The host reads increased to 225mb or something which is on par with the Seagate V4

So the good news is that we now have enterprise grade 5X00 rpm drives.

I hope that they come with the lower noise and power consumption of 5X00 rpm drives and not only with the lower performance.

So the good news is that we now have enterprise grade 5X00 rpm drives.

I hope that they come with the lower noise and power consumption of 5X00 rpm drives and not only with the lower performance.

Yeah actually, I love my RE drives I really do but they are a bit on the noisy side. Although I admittedly haven't tried the latest RE offerings, maybe they don't differ all that much from consumer drives anymore as far as noise is concerned.

Yes, the RE's are a huge power hungry device. Would be nice not to have to beef up my psu's to run them.

Back