‘HBO Now’ Will Launch As Apple Exclusive

HardOCP News

[H] News
HBO Now is $15 a month AND will launch as an Apple exclusive? What the hell was HBO thinking?

After months of speculation regarding price and availability, HBO has finally confirmed the important details about its standalone streaming service HBO Now. The good news is that it will cost the predicted $15/month. The not as good news is that Apple will be the exclusive device launch partner of the service when it kicks off in April.

An "Apple exclusive" to what extent?

Are we just talking about iphones vs android phones, as in, it will be in the Apple store but not the Google store?

What about those of us who want to use the service using a good old traditional windows PC?

An "Apple exclusive" to what extent?

Are we just talking about iphones vs android phones, as in, it will be in the Apple store but not the Google store?

What about those of us who want to use the service using a good old traditional windows PC?

You're out of luck. Thank Apple.
Innovation!

You're out of luck. Thank Apple.
Innovation!

hmmm actually I just read that it will supposedly still be available for streaming on regular PCs.

My question then becomes, since the streaming done on the PC is presumably done via a web browser, why couldn't you stream on an android phone using the phone's web browser? What exactly are they doing that allows streaming on a PC but not on a phone (even if only via the web browser)?

So pick the smallest install base device for cord cutters and make it exclusive. Apple is either paying a sh!t ton of money or HBO execs are getting a ton of free apple stuff.

So it's exclusive at launch to iOS devices via apps but will also launch on the web?

HBO Exec: It's time to take our service into the digital age. What platform can we use to siphon the most amount of money from people that won't complain about being overcharged?

HBO Jr. Exec: Apple?

HBO Exec: I got! We will go with Apple!

I would have to guess that Apple spent some of their cash reserves to get this, otherwise why would HBO want to exclude any format?

Looks like GOT will be the most pirated show again in 2015, well done HBO!

That's ok, only an idiot would pay $15 (more all of Netflix) just for this.

That's ok, only an idiot would pay $15 (more all of Netflix) just for this.
I cut my cable service long ago. But I know some people still paying a lot more than $15 for a "premium channels" package when all they really want from that package is HBO. This would save them money. And they could still have their HBO.

The Apple TV is $89. It would pay for itself in a few months.

15 bucks? NO SALE

Apple only? NO SALE

Had high hopes for this, but now..

Both companies can burn in hell.

I cut my cable service long ago. But I know some people still paying a lot more than $15 for a "premium channels" package when all they really want from that package is HBO. This would save them money. And they could still have their HBO.

The Apple TV is $89. It would pay for itself in a few months.

Didn't they just lower the price of the AppleTV to $69 in the event ... making it even more attractive

Looks like the Australians will be forced to pirate Game of thrones again. Good job HBO another wasted business opportunity.

I can only guess TimeWarner wants some of that Scrooge McDuck vault size pile of i-Stuff money.

Game of throne fans everywhere are rejoicing but when they mean exclusive does it mean that you can only get the subscription if you have apple tv?

What the fuck are you all on about. This is directly from the HBO press release...

HBO continues to be in discussions with its existing network of distributors and new digital
partners to offer HBO NOW. At launch, HBO NOW will be available on iOS devices and on PCs.

AND ON PCs

The only thing that Apple users get is a month free. Open your fucking eyes and read people. I fucking hate the consumerist. They latch onto bullshit like a retarded fucking Chihuahua. They're tiny, stupid, and annoying.

15 bucks? NO SALE

Apple only? NO SALE

Had high hopes for this, but now..

Both companies can burn in hell.

I would agree about the "Apple only" part but I have to ask, did you actually expect HBO to offer their programing on streaming for less then they do on cable?

Didn't they just lower the price of the AppleTV to $69 in the event ... making it even more attractive

Popcorn Time IO for internet streaming and VideoStream Chrome extension for streaming from local network at 1080p over WIFI to $30 Chromecast is still the ultimate favorite.

...sigh.

What we need are more open standards and cross-compatibility, not this type of closed off closed minded bullshit.

Any and all platform exclusivity needs to end.

What the fuck are you all on about. This is directly from the HBO press release...

AND ON PCs

Sooo....no Android support for the number of Android-based TV devices/sticks out there is no big deal? Not everyone runs an actual HTPC (probably very few in reality).

I don't get it My bit torrent still works just fine. What's the problem?

Popcorn Time IO for internet streaming and VideoStream Chrome extension for streaming from local network at 1080p over WIFI to $30 Chromecast is still the ultimate favorite.

I prefer neither choice ... more of a Roku person myself or the apps integrated into my Blu Ray player ... if Google makes a product with hardwire connection rather than WiFi and with purchasable apps like the Roku then I would be interested though

Sounds like Tim Cook finally learned how to make "Cool-aid" and gave it to the HBO Execs.

Sounds like Tim Cook finally learned how to make "Cool-aid" and gave it to the HBO Execs.

Or maybe the HBO execs are playing hard ball with the other providers to get a better deal from them ... HBO has some of the most valuable properties in media and they demand and deserve some respect from the rest of the industry ... sometimes Google and the other companies think they are in a stronger negotiating position than they actually are ... this might be more of a situation with HBO showing them who's the boss (the internet equivalent of a horse's head in their beds) :cool:

Sooo....no Android support for the number of Android-based TV devices/sticks out there is no big deal? Not everyone runs an actual HTPC (probably very few in reality).

Title of thread says apple exclusive. That's not true. I'm not saying it shouldn't be on other platforms too, but it IS available for PC aswell, which means it's not EXCLUSIVE.

Did you guys hear the one about Apple selling a new, fancy smancer dongle that buyers of their new laptops will need for 80 bucks??

HATE HATE HATE that company!

http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-80-dongle-you-need-to-use-the-new-macbook-wi-1690351477

Typical Apple. Who would ever need more than 1 usb port (or mouse button)

It's very common at the office for people to plug their laptop into a projector or TV for a meeting, then need to plug in a USB drive (or 2 to make a copy for someone) and maybe even use the 2nd usb port for their wireless mouse and the 3rd usb port to charge their phone.

Well it's not like Apple has other plans for that $142 BILLION they're sitting on, so paying HBO for three months of exclusivity in the hopes that it boosts the sales of Apple TV isn't going to hurt their bottom line. I wonder if they also get 30% of the subscription cost for every subscriber as per their usual app kickback.

Back