Apple's 'Spring Forward' Event Liveblog

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are planning on watching Apple's 'Spring Forward' event today your best bet for coverage is to head on over to Engadget.

A few sleep-deprived Engadget editors have made the trek to San Francisco to cover the keynote live, because you know a lost hour of sleep ain't gonna stop us. And by all accounts, it should be a pretty newsy day indeed. I mean, just think of all the things we don't know about the Apple Watch: its battery life, fitness features, what day it's going on sale, and how much that fancy gold edition is going to cost. We're here for answers, folks, and we suspect we'll know a lot more by the time Tim Cook leaves the stage today.

Is Apple against open standards that allow more people to see it?

Getting the exclusive availability of the new HBO online service for launch is big ... sure to piss off some folks ... not sure why HBO did this ... Apple must have coughed up some big bucks for an exclusive window :eek:

Getting the exclusive availability of the new HBO online service for launch is big ... sure to piss off some folks ... not sure why HBO did this ... Apple must have coughed up some big bucks for an exclusive window :eek:

I seem to recall people already bitching that it was $15 a month and that was too much, so those people shouldn't care since they were adamant about not using it anyway. People gonna outrage.

I seem to recall people already bitching that it was $15 a month and that was too much, so those people shouldn't care since they were adamant about not using it anyway. People gonna outrage.

I am more surprised on the HBO side of it ... Apple must actually be a significant portion of the online streaming market for this to make sense ... I would have thought that an exclusivity deal with Roku, XBox, or PSN would have made more sense but maybe Apple's conversion of users to streamers is higher ... With HBO's name recognition they didn't seem to need an exclusive window ... although this could also be throwing a bone to the cable companies by easing into the competing service over time

The new MacBook Air looks tempting. Fuck Apple so bad.

MBA is the only decent thing so far but sacrificing usability and ports for thinness?

MBA is the only decent thing so far but sacrificing usability and ports for thinness?

It isn't a Macbook Air. I am not sure what the intended difference between a Macbook and Macbook Air is at this point.

This is kind of silly in this day and age unless they're trying to limit streaming use for technical reasons.

They aren't. They've always used HTTP Live Streaming, which is supported in things like Android, XBMC and VLC but not in any other browsers other than Safari at the moment. And since your next complaint is that it's proprietary, it's been submitted to the IETF for comments. It's on everyone else to support it.

Was literally going to go out and buy a macbook retina today but I didnt even know Apple was revamping their macbooks, I'll wait now.

If they made a 15" retina air.. I would be all over that. I love the portability, but I'm a stickler for screen size. I'm not one to get first generation anyway. So hopefully they go up in size with the fanless options. I suspect skylake and future architectures will make it possible though.

Poor choice of name since it would imply that it fits between Pro and Air but it's thinner than Air. Should've been named Macbook Nano or something equivalent. Not sure about the very limited single port, affect on fast charging through USB and sacrifice on keyboard.

They can show whatever they want, but the Apple Watch is useless unless it has built-in GPS and can be used as a standalone device. A smartwatch that needs to be tied to a smartphone is the worst fucking idea ever.

I am more surprised on the HBO side of it ... Apple must actually be a significant portion of the online streaming market for this to make sense ... I would have thought that an exclusivity deal with Roku, XBox, or PSN would have made more sense but maybe Apple's conversion of users to streamers is higher ... With HBO's name recognition they didn't seem to need an exclusive window ... although this could also be throwing a bone to the cable companies by easing into the competing service over time

Apple doesnt need a significant portion of the streaming market for this deal to make sense for HBO. They just needed a line of dump trucks full of cash winding into the horizon.

Apple has always wanted to be an IPTV provider but even with their power the cable cartel has been too entrenched
to break up. It's only now with companies like HBO breaking away that the whole thing might unravel. So Apple has enough money to just throw gold bars at any content provider to create more lockin.

So, good that cable cartels may be facing their ultimate doom, bad that we're just exchanging one cartel for a another in the case of HBO here.

They can show whatever they want, but the Apple Watch is useless unless it has built-in GPS and can be used as a standalone device. A smartwatch that needs to be tied to a smartphone is the worst fucking idea ever.

Its a companion device because the pocket with your phone is sssooo far away :eek:

They tout doing a half marathon (probably limited by battery life to do a full marathon) with Apple Watch but are they using GPS or inaccurate pedometer? So much fluff and very little details.

yep, gotta use their "proprietary" webkit browser :rolleyes:

No need to apologize since it can't be viewed in any standard non-Apple browser and not everyone can download potential malware like Quicktime, VLC, etc. on a locked down device.

No need to apologize since it can't be viewed in any standard non-Apple browser and not everyone can download potential malware like Quicktime, VLC, etc. on a locked down device.
or you an use any browser that supports open source html5 and willing to report itself as safari...

fucking Apple with all their proprietary development of webkit, html5, quicktime, OpenGL, bsd, what have they ever given to the open source community, amiright?

...and some businesses block streaming too. Is that Apple's fault too?

Apple Watch pricing is sexist. Men's version is more expensive than lady's version. And, I thought the culture favor men.

Apple's Spring Forward seems a lot like Chairman Mao's Great Leap Forward, but aside from the weird parallels, watches are a leftover of older generations who insist that having a function-limited device with a tiny screen and inadequate space for user interface and tiny relative battery capacity is some kinda fashion statement.

So lets see.

The Macbook is impressive engineering. Love the battery life. Too bad the Fisher-price OS is worthless to me. Not to mention I'm cheap and would prefer a more powerful laptop for $400. ;) :p

The Apple Watch is trying to do too much. It's a companion device not a replacement. Why do you need Instragram on your watch? Every live blog I saw made mention about how the apps took a little while to launch. 18 hour battery life? Pathetic. My Sony Smartwatch 3 gets 2 days minimum and I can get 3 days out of it if I really try. $350 minimum for a device that doesn't last a day. Yeah, no thanks.

And for the love of whatever God you worship do NOT talk into your watch for a phone call. You may only do that if you're talking with the Knight Industries Two Thousand.

Oh this quote from Cook make me spit Coke out of my nose: Your Android Wear watch doesn't have a watch face. -Tim Cook

Funny I've been swapping watch faces for the last few days trying to find a new one. :eek: facerepo.com ftw!

The most impressive thing though from this is the ResearchKit. Open source? From Apple? They must have been high or drunk. :D

Absolutely love the idea. It's a great idea. My only concern is bad data. How accurate can the data really be from a device that's been dropped a dozen times by butterfingers? What will prevent trolls of skewing data by doing stupid things? Get past that somehow and it's a amazing idea that I hope works well.

That's it?

This whole fiasco feels like living in North Korea. If you're stuck inside the walls of North Korea you only get to see their spin while the rest of the world on the outside can't see the sad reality.

Gathering more people are more interested in the new Macbook that was announced than the Watch.

Just realized no GPS in the watch and it isn't waterproof......wow simply wow.

can't wait to get that force feedback trackpad on the 15" pro. not available yet but should be included in Q3 refresh.

What kind of moron spends $10,000 on a watch when you can just pull out your cell phone and look at the time?

What kind of moron spends $10,000 on a watch when you can just pull out your cell phone and look at the time?

People drop tens of thousands of dollars on watches all the time. It is a status symbol.

Back