DDoS Attack Targets Femsplain on International Women's Day

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A three-hour DDoS attack earlier today took down the feminist blog Femsplain in what was clearly a planned attack to disrupt International Women’s Day observances. No group as yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

The blog started up late last year as a place for women to discuss topics from online harassment to Gamegate.

A feminist site named after a mocking phrase got DDoS'd by a random group of which no one is coming forward. The cishet men and women of Gamergate to blame. News at 11.

everyone gets ddosed.

True, it is almost not news really. However, they are playing up the part of victim. They even tossed in a bit of persecution complex. Meh, moving along..

Why do I have this suspicion that a DDOS that lasts 3 hours against someones blog isn't exactly going to disrupt International Women's Day observances.

This would be like if someone DDoSed the Oatmeal, that disrupts comics world wide... although that might do more because it receives an extraordinary amount more visitors than someone's feminist blog... most visitors are probably spiders from various search engines anyways :D

How often does [H] get DDoS'd?

I browsed the site and its really not much going on there. The site owner has lots of articles the revolve around irrational "fear" of things like her gym shorts not fitting, not having an answer and having to say "i'm sorry" a lot.

I'm no network guy but it doesn't look like it was exactly the heaviest DDoS attempt. Everything I'm reading from a quick google is that attacks are in the GB/s not MB/s, and some of the results are looking at are talking about minecraft servers. https://pbs.++++++++++/media/B_l_HCyUwAEuP26.png. What kind of traffic does one idiot with a LOIC do?

I'm guessing that the culprits were either "The He-Man Women Haters Club", or "NO MA'AM"

Sites run by men get DDOSed all the time. There's some equality for you.

There's a chance they DDOS'ed themselves. I forget her name, but one outspoken feminist had created a bunch of threats against herself online, and when busted, said she was bringing attention to the issue and studying society's response to such threats or something like that... when it was obviously just a false-flag attack to try to prove her own point. That then inspired some guys on 4chan to create sockpuppet feminist accounts to attack themselves with using #endfathersday... yeah, can't believe anything on the internet. And of course one of the most outspoken feminists on the internet, Berta Lovejoy, is actually just a hilarious sockpuppet account used on Reddit.

LOL, I was just googling trying to find the chick who did it, and found a different similar incident: http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=4731
But on Monday, The University of Wyoming Police Department issued a citation to Lanker-Simons for “interference” for “false statements she made to the UW Police Department,” according to a UW statement referred to by Laramie Boomerang Online.

"Subject admitted to making a controversial post on UW Crushes webpage and then lied about not doing it," according to the citation.

The University of Wyoming also confirmed a statement that the police had “"obtained substantial evidence verifying that the offending Facebook post came from Lanker-Simons' computer, while the computer was in her possession.”
Not the one I was looking for, but another example of a feminist that made rape threats against herself online, in order to show public outrage about rape-culture. *facepalm*

Cliffs Notes: take it with a BIG grain of salt that the "attack" wasn't self-inflicted for the sake of publicity.

If there was any day a feminist site might get linked even in comments and get an unusual burst of legitimate traffic, it would be likely be today. Just a thought.

If there was any day a feminist site might get linked even in comments and get an unusual burst of legitimate traffic, it would be likely be today. Just a thought.

Hahaha, I didn't think of this legitimate possibility.

A little white lie for a peaking audience might turn a dust storm into a tornado. If the site owners are doing this, kudos to them for some quick and smart thinking.

Whoever did this are idiots.

Being DDOS:ed just plays right into their narrative of being "silenced by the patriarchy". Death/Rape/Violence threats, and sharing addresses, etc. online are even worse.

The only way to fight these lunatics is through reasoned argument.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will change any of their minds, but at least hearing a the truth might prevent mainstream politics from picking up their garbage and running with it, and ruining things even more.

[QUOTE='Zarathustra[H];1041472352'
[/QUOTE]

Yeah...nah. You can show them all the evidence in the world, you can have their heroes tell them they were lying straight to their face (like Anita), and they'll still believe that the CISMALE PATRIARCHY is responsible for all of their ills.

Zarathustra[H];1041472352 said:

Throwing logic and facts just causes them to go into passive-aggressive insult mode, followed by extreme deflection of the conversation. Engaging them in social media just turns into "you've been blocked" when you disrupt their version of reality.

That's actually a pretty astute observation. And as @Kalabalana pointed out, some serious quick thinking on the site owner's behalf, if intentional.

I'd lean towards a lack of understanding about DDOS + slow site performance due to an uptick of traffic + the fact that International Women's Day finally got some traction this year = opportunity to create a story with just enough truth to get a rise for the mainstream media.

Yeah...nah. You can show them all the evidence in the world, you can have their heroes tell them they were lying straight to their face (like Anita), and they'll still believe that the CISMALE PATRIARCHY is responsible for all of their ills.

Throwing logic and facts just causes them to go into passive-aggressive insult mode, followed by extreme deflection of the conversation. Engaging them in social media just turns into "you've been blocked" when you disrupt their version of reality.

As I mentioned below the paragraph you quoted, I said I didn't think it would convert any of the "true believers" who see everything in the world they don't like as some sort of conspiracy by the patriarchy to try to exert it's dominance, but providing that reasoned argument in a public forum can help prevent those who have not yet been radicalized from being so, and might help dissuade politicians from siding with them to score points.

The radicals themselves are so deep within their own echo chambers at this point that they are unlikely to be extracted to the world of reason, which is further emphasislzed by the fact that any attempt at reasoned argument is stamped as "sea lioning", " mansplaining" is called a form of harassment, and is likely to get you called a "rape apologist".

By arguining reason with them and seeing these ridiculous responses - however - they expose themselves to the world for what they really are, and it limits their spread.

DDOS:ing and online threats just play into their narrative and give them fodder for propaganda, and doesn't help at all, even though it might feel good.

another DDoS and no one.. really cares.. moving along.

international womans day.com news spinny thing has mentions of empowering woman in sports, business and arts and stuff.. okay cool.. but not one post about the women/girls being killed because they want to go to school. you would think international womans day would make a passing remark about this on their front page. Seems to me if you help more people live into their 20's with some sort of an education you will have more of those people in power.

Credibility level = 0

Because last time I checked Men don't get the shaft (heh sex pun) on an international scale the same way that women do.

It is clear we have a long way to go both nationally and globally until we achieve true gender equality.

That - however - doesn't mean that every little thing is some sort of conspiracy to opress women.

I mean, let's take the whole "manspreading" thing as an example.

Taking up other peoples space, or preventing others from sitting is inconsiderate and rude. There is no doubt. But to think even for a second that this is an act of aggression or trying to exert dominance is pure goddamned insanity.

Subway seats are low, men tend to be taller than average. Thus legs stick out and up when sitting straight, which is rather uncomfortable. Do this for a long time and it can actually be painful, more so than standing. Leaning legs out is more comfortable. I do this when sitting if there is enough space, but when there isn't I pull my legs in and respect others space.

It isn't done sort of Freudian like psychology of dominance, it is simply the acts of selfish people who care more about their own comfort and don't give a shit about anyone else.

The people who do this are obviously shitty, but there is no coordinated effort to opress women here. Move right along.

so right. unbearable

did they ddos themselves to bring attention to the fact there was some causeist day most people didn't know about?

The fem-nazi of which I thought would be a primary candidate to post in this thread, has not yet, this makes me sad.

There is no proof of that, but it is a possibility. Either way, that blog is way under the radar of pretty much anyone. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/http://femsplain.com.

Its non-news imo.

Agreed.

Before repeating conspiracy theories, maybe people in here should have something to back them up with. :rolleyes:

We don't know what caused their site being down, it could have been a DDOS from some misguided idiot, but if that was the attempt,you'd think they would pick a bigger target, not some small blog no one has ever heard of until now.

Those of us in here have no reason to believe the blog owners claim of a DDOS attack to be true OR false, but we can point out the apparent conflict of interest. The blog operator has it in their own best interest for publicity reasons to make as big a stink of DDOS attacks as possible.

It might have been a DDOS attack, it might not.

It might have been misinterpreted as a DDOS when it was in fact something else, or it might not

It might have been self inflicted for publicity, it might not.

All we know right now was that the site suffered downtime for some reason, and the site operator either knows it to be a DDOS with facts to back it up, believes it to be a DDOS based on suspicion or knows it isn't a DDOS but is claiming it is for publicity.

No one in here has the data to confirm or refute any of this, so it is better to just not dream up conspiracy theories. An appearance of conflict of interest does not mean that there was actually any wrongdoing.

It is merely what they - on TV - would call circumstantial evidence.

Zarathustra[H];1041472821 said:
It is clear we have a long way to go both nationally and globally until we achieve true gender equality.

That - however - doesn't mean that every little thing is some sort of conspiracy to opress women.

I mean, let's take the whole "manspreading" thing as an example.

Taking up other peoples space, or preventing others from sitting is inconsiderate and rude. There is no doubt. But to think even for a second that this is an act of aggression or trying to exert dominance is pure goddamned insanity.

Subway seats are low, men tend to be taller than average. Thus legs stick out and up when sitting straight, which is rather uncomfortable. Do this for a long time and it can actually be painful, more so than standing. Leaning legs out is more comfortable. I do this when sitting if there is enough space, but when there isn't I pull my legs in and respect others space.

It isn't done sort of Freudian like psychology of dominance, it is simply the acts of selfish people who care more about their own comfort and don't give a shit about anyone else.

The people who do this are obviously shitty, but there is no coordinated effort to opress women here. Move right along.
I would go as far as to say women have become too powerful in America. The rest of the world not so much.

Back