Bite My Shiny Metal Ask: Java for OS X Crapware

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The divide between PC and Mac just shrunk a little bit more now that Oracle treats them as equals. What once was strictly the domain of the PC is now plaguing the Mac as well. The Java Plugin for OSX now installs the dreaded Ask.com homepage and search engine by default.

Those who don't pay close attention when installing, however, will get the (potentially) unwanted Askware and a homepage takeover with their Java update.

In before folks think that when java goes away, malware will go away. The makers of the malware make money so they will always find a way to get it out there, java, flash or with something else. However, thank you for the heads up.

In before folks think that when java goes away, malware will go away. The makers of the malware make money so they will always find a way to get it out there, java, flash or with something else. However, thank you for the heads up.

When Java goes away there will be a few, brief days of glorious sunlight.

We will look at those days as the golden age of the internet.

By the Thursday of that week it will start to rain shit again.

It's extremely annoying that if you install a random application that the default search and start page is changed. But I'm more pissed at Firefox and Chrome for allowing an external program to do this. That's something they should prevent a long time ago but they aren't.

Who needs Java. I've never found a need for it and never found a need for most home users. Sure there may be one or two websites that have limited functionality without it but given the number of security holes, it's just not worth it.

When Java goes away there will be a few, brief days of glorious sunlight.

We will look at those days as the golden age of the internet.

By the Thursday of that week it will start to rain shit again.
Name one other relatively light weight byte code (internet friendly transfers) that is platform independent that can replace it?

Also, java is spread via android to something much larger than most people can imagine. Its right in there with Linux as a choice for embedded systems. Government starting to require security in devices like cars and I'm sure IoT regulations are coming (what isn't regulated these days) that will require security features within the device's code that Java portends it has inherently and with it's canned libraries.

Its mandatory in most corporate environments until companies like kronos amd cisco stop using it.

Who needs Java. I've never found a need for it and never found a need for most home users. Sure there may be one or two websites that have limited functionality without it but given the number of security holes, it's just not worth it.

a lot of baking web sites are using java for entering in pin codes and crap....sad really.

Yes, OS X users will actually start having to pay attention to what they install, as opposed to ignorantly pushing buttons willy-nilly and hoping for the best...;) It's always amusing to note that whenever OS X users have to start "paying attention" to what they do online that it's equated negatively to being "more like a PC"...;) Typical OS X user: a sucker just waiting to get suckered... Glad to see that at least some of them are beginning to take responsibility for their own actions...It's a start, at least...

This is actually good news!

It shows that Mac's have finally become prevalent enough that companies have decided to pay money to advertise in OSXsoftware. ;)

I've found that Mac users are generally not systems aware - meaning that they just don't have the mindset for distributed, multi-server host/platform environments. Typically, Mac users are applications developers with a focus on in-browser work heavily leaning towards UX/UI oriented activities (single task... single machine).

Not saying that all Mac (iOS) users are pogues - I've just noticed that "has an iOS" device means "never implemented distributed systems".

Seems to be the case given the tone at HardForum...

Maybe the ScamWare (ask) java installation will pry open a seam in their mindset? There... really is an extended network out there - no longer as flat/thin as an iOS device (though curved for pocket-ware).

Name one other relatively light weight byte code (internet friendly transfers) that is platform independent that can replace it?

Java will one day be replaced by another Java. Hence my post, no matter how different the code the actual nature of the new hotness will have to be, more or less, the same as Java. Thus the break from all of Java's "flaws" will only take as long as it requires to move on to a new set of "flaws" in the new hotness.

That four or five days will be glorious, grandparents all over the world will have absolutely no idea how much more safe they are. Of course, their machines will already be the nexuses for all of the crap that crept in with Java so they may not notice anything.

My dear old Dad was trying to surf with eleven bars at the top. He thought his connection was going down.

this crap needs to be illegal along with the useless apps installed by att (which are now illegal on samsung devices in korea).

then again, the federal fraud department closed my case saying there is nothing they can do about the weekly phone call I receive to "fix my credit cards" and "get the interest corrected" and to "hand over my ssn and information" EACH WEEK from the same batch of numbers. so i doubt anything will change soon.

what a bunch of useless feel good crap:(sorry on a rant and off topic)
We reviewed your complaint and couldn’t send it to the company for a response. This could be because we haven’t registered the company or because your complaint did not involve a Federal consumer financial law within our authority.

What happens now?

We entered the information you provided into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database operated by the Federal Trade Commission. Civil and criminal law enforcement authorities worldwide, including Consumer Financial Protection Bureau investigators, use the Consumer Sentinel Network to identify questionable business practices that may lead to investigations and prosecutions.

Can I hire my own lawyer to look into this?

Yes. While we can’t give legal advice or represent individuals in legal matters, if you want more help you can contact a private attorney or your local legal aid office for free or low-cost legal resources at www.lsc.gov.

Is that it?

Not by a long shot. Complaints help us identify trends and problems in the marketplace and understand the challenges people are facing so we can do a better job looking for these problems when we supervise companies, enforce Federal consumer financial laws and write rules and regulations.

Thank you,

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
consumerfinance.gov
(855) 411-CFPB (2372)
AR1.2c

Back