eizo cs230

better get the CX240/CX241, I'm not sure if the CS230 has an A-TW polarizer, the CS240 certainly does not (prad.de review)

better get the CX240/CX241, I'm not sure if the CS230 has an A-TW polarizer, the CS240 certainly does not (prad.de review)

It costs 2x more.

The cs230 already costs 1600k where I live, just like everything else.

Is the A-TW polarizer that big of a deal? Does it improve black levels or does it just eliminate the IPS glow?

Last edited:
It just eliminates the glow...and there is still the possibility of getting one with light bleed if you are unlucky.
If its so much more expensive, its really not worth it, not for a technology that could and should be in every mid-range monitor.
The CX/CS 240 also use the standard (25% Haze) matte coating, not sure about the CS230 and CX241.

If it's like the 24" CS240 PRAD reviewed, then it's bad for gaming due to the very slow pixel response times:

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-eizo-cs240-bk-teil11.html#Reaktionsverhalten

vs. HP Z24i

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-hp-z24i-teil9.html#Bildaufbauzeit

Is the HP Z24i the best 16:10 24" screen under about £400? Does it have the same / better coating than the Dell 2415 and Eizo EV2455? Which would you get out of those 3? "The panel of Z24i is only slightly matte and glossy obsi something" that's the translation I get from PRAD so not easy to know what that means lol.

Dell U2415 and Eizo EV2455 = matte
HP Z24i (with PLS panel) = semi matte. I don't know about that version with IPS panel.

Dell U2415 and Eizo EV2455 = matte
HP Z24i (with PLS panel) = semi matte. I don't know about that version with IPS panel.

Do you mean "semi glossy"? eg. the HP is less matte than the other 2? Hm interesting not sure if the HP is worth the extra money as the pixel response and overshoot is worse but the measurements on PRAD for that are not very good compared to TFT central. If the HP had a TW polarizer I would buy it but I don't think it does, no white glow pictures on PRAD. Does PLS have better white glow than IPS? I hate IPS glow.

Both Prad and Dead confirm the HP is less matte than most other IPS panels.
It also has very good sRGB compliance for its class. The glow is there and it seems to be white-ish.

EV2455:
http://www.prad.de/images/monitore/eizo_ev2455-bk/coating.jpg
Z24i:
http://www.prad.de/images/monitore/hp_z24i/coating.jpg

tftcentral: "The screen coating on the EV2455 is much like that featured on other recent IPS screens and the same as that on the EV2450, and the Dell U2415 of course which is using the same panel."
=Dead=: "The new semi-matte surface of the panel HP Z24i, in its properties is approximately equal to the newest AMVA. Accordingly Crystal Effect is indistinguishable, although the crystal-clear pictures (as in glossy models) the monitor does not achieve. Competing models from ASUS, BenQ and LG have a different structure used anti-glare film, and so if you are afraid of crystalline effect in any form, you should consider buying it as HP Z24i or another monitor at exactly the same matrix - NEC P242W.
As for the second unpleasant effect Cross Hatching, then HP Z24i present. Weakly discernible diagonal stripes in new items are visible only when viewed on the screen at a slight angle."

Reading the other HP thread looks like BLB and white glow are a problem... Argh why are monitors so crap these days.

It says he had 33% brightness uniformity problem and HP replies saying that is normal... You could contact a manufacturer saying the monitor has sprouted legs and ran off down the road and the manufacturer would still reply saying that is normal.

No, but the NEC P242W has a programmable 3D LUT. However it costs more than twice as much and there are reports of it being noisy while turned on.
Higher input lag than the HP and some other quibbles are mentioned in the overclockers.ru review.
NCX also reviewed it

If you are doing color work then the "matte" shouldn't be the biggest problem.

Unless you doing some sort of AV stuff w.o computer/lut box I don't see how hardware lut and srgb come together.

About the effect of the polarizer - I got an eizo cx271 a few days ago and the magenta/green tints on black regions seemed so wrong (visible even when a weak ceiling light is on in the room) that I thought it's defective and I have to return it. My ev2736 next to it has visibly darker blacks and no ips glow, big difference. Wasn't expecting that to be honest, thought coloredge series are perfect in all regards :).

That tint is GB-r blacklight problem. The no glow is polarizer job~ though the price is a little :eek:

Is the pixel response time really that bad if I don't play any online games competitively?
The lowest ping to the closest to me game server is around 130ms anyway, so there's no point. I know, smooth motion looks nice and all since I used to have a 120hz monitor, but now I'd rather have an accurate display with a hardware lut and a top end panel.

Yes, the pixel response times are quite poor and will produce noticeable colour streaking. The CS230 is a waste of money, buy an Eizo EV2336 (B & H Photo has the lowest price in the US) if you want the best 23" capable of matching the 27" 1440p monitors colours thanks to its semi-glossy coating and 95-97% colour space coverage. The FS2434 uses a stronger matte coating, can only cover 87-90% of the sRGB colour space and uses a perceived black depth ruining frame-less casing. It only offers gimmicks compared to the other 200$ matte 1080p IPS panels.

Thank you, very informative, going to check the ev2336's reviews right now.

But what about the hardware lut NEC monitors? I would also go for a 24" 1200p monitor that has a 1:1 pixel mapping letterboxed mode for consoles.

The NEC P242W is slightly better at best (once calibrated; the spectraview software is required which must be purchases separately or in a bundle with the i1 display pro for 300$, or with the monitor 1000$ US), but has a frame of input lag and costs twice as much. There's no point in buying a monitor wich can be hardware calibrated if you do not own a proper colorimeter (no Spyders or old i1 display 2's), and the glow free Eizo CX241 is only 100$ more than the NEC from B & H (I'm assuming you live in the US).

Last edited:
Doesn't the cx241 suffer from the high pixel response time as well? Unfortunately I'm not in the US, I'm in Russia and all these prices are pretty much irrelevant here because of the national currency crash, ordering from amazon won't probably make a difference either, I guess the shipment cost for a monitor isn't low. Also, for some reason the cx241 costs 2x more than the p242w here. The 24" nec has the same price as the cs230.

I'm also going to buy a meter a bit later, that's why I want a hardware lut monitor.

Last edited:
Only the 27" CX/CG series have been reported to have poorly implemented overdrive, not sure about the CX241 since. The CX240's overdrive is better than the CS320's (source).

Best CX241 Information.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5575...estirovanie_monitora_NEC_MultiSync_P242W.html
Well, the nec seems to have problems with the srgb emulation and is overpriced.

Well, maybe fuck hardware lut monitors. There's another option. http://kupimonitor.ru/catalog/monitors/crossover-2755amg.html
This store sells these cheap Korean monitors, they seem to be overpriced here but the thing is they check them for dead pixels, blb, calibrate them and ship with icc profiles and it's still probably not much more expensive than shipping from the outside.

You have reviewed a lot of these, is there a chance of getting one with decent factory settings?

There's no need to use the P242W's sRGB mode since it is not a wide gamut monitor and has outstanding out-of-the-box colour accuracy.

The 2755AMG is one of the best monitors I've used in terms of colour preset quality, but it uses PDC, has a frame of input lag and worse build quality than the AMG series monitors (according to =DEAD=) which offer nearly identical performance. Crossover AMG/QW series information.

Maybe the pdc worth the compromised blacks for me. I've seen the newer 27imacs in stores, and they were simply amazing, clear and perfectly saturated colors. I suspect they use the exact same panel as the amg2755.

The one reviewed by =DEAD= seems to also have a really good factory calibration http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2013/12/09/2/02_tab2.png
Maybe there's no calibration lottery with this one?

The new imac as in 5k imac? :)

Imo, find your priority,do you want better image quality or dead accurate color(managed/un-managed)?

Maybe there's no calibration lottery with this one?

If you can easily return or exchange it, try one out. I suspect you don't have a colorimeter? You should buy one (colormunkie or i1 display pro to use with dispcalgui+agyrll which is free) if you want super accurate colours.

If you can easily return or exchange it, try one out. I suspect you don't have a colorimeter? You should buy one (colormunkie or i1 display pro to use with dispcalgui+agyrll which is free) if you want super accurate colours.

I will get an i1 later, from what I've read it's the best value.

Back