Comcast Blocking HBO Go App On PS4

HardOCP News

[H] News
Any Comcast subscribers out there having this problem?

The app launched on the PS3 a year ago, but hasn’t been available for Sony’s latest console until now. Unfortunately, Comcast customers apparently can’t activate the service. The comment thread for the announcement is full of complaints from Comcast users angrily noting that the service can’t be used on either the PS3 or PS4 if you’re a Comcast subscriber.

And yet it works for the XBox 360. Haven't checked if it works on the One yet (was no app last time I looked, but that was a while ago).

So unless someone is seriously suggesting that somehow Comcast is on the MS bandwagon and hates Sony, maybe Sony is just straight up incompetent....

I'd think the new FCC rules should put a stop or a lawsuit on them for this.:eek:

Because Comcast wants a separate contract. It's also is why it does not work on Roku or FireTV.

Too bad Comcast doesn't own the PS4 platform, compared to the owners of Roku and FireTV having control over their own platforms. Comcast is making a potato argument.

Whatever, apps are for suckers that like locked down devices. HTPC is the only way to go, I'll control what happens on MY device, TYVM.

I'd think the new FCC rules should put a stop or a lawsuit on them for this.:eek:
Unfortunately, probably not. They're not actually treating the traffic differently (which is what net neutrality is about). They're refusing to authenticate the app in their system.

What could happen is that HBO Now gets released for a device which Comcast won't allow to use HBO Go on their system, and Comcast doesn't have any power to stop that because HBO Now won't require a cable subscription at all. In other words, Comcast is begging their customers to remove HBO from their monthly cable bill...genius.

Whatever, apps are for suckers that like locked down devices. HTPC is the only way to go, I'll control what happens on MY device, TYVM.

Ah, the typical douche bag credo:

"Fuck you, got mine"

You said it better than I was going to lol. I was thinking of some comment about console peasantry

to get HBO Go you had to have an existing HBO service on your cable. This means the cable company had to verify that you paid for HBO over their network

Comcast had to do no such thing...even though it was in their best interest.

Now with an online streaming subscription model just announced, all this becomes moot.

Ah, the typical douche bag credo:

"Fuck you, got mine"

An HTPC is ridiculously cheap, or just take your current PC, 1 DVI/HDMI to monitor, 1 HDMI to TV/receiver. If you don't have a computer with more than 1 video out, I have no idea what you are doing on this site.

this is how they will get around. Block the device not the traffic.

This does not make sense to me, I think they would lose that argument.
I think the violation is clear, the customer is seeking to use the internet in a manner that they want, paying an specific entity/company for a service to be carried via the internet...and they are being prevented from doing so.. the rest is mombo-jombo.

First they came for the Consoles, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Console Peasant.

Then they came for the Mobile Phones, and I did not speak out—
Because I still used a flip phone.

Then they came for my PC—and there was no one left to speak for me.

One of the biggest advantages to HBOgo is their mobility.

HTPC isn't mobile...

Seems like an obvious conflict of interest.

Why we allow Comcast to be a cable provider, a TV provider and a content owner is beyond me. Oh that's right, the entire country is corrupt to the core, I forgot.

Unfortunately, probably not. They're not actually treating the traffic differently (which is what net neutrality is about). They're refusing to authenticate the app in their system.

What could happen is that HBO Now gets released for a device which Comcast won't allow to use HBO Go on their system, and Comcast doesn't have any power to stop that because HBO Now won't require a cable subscription at all. In other words, Comcast is begging their customers to remove HBO from their monthly cable bill...genius.

That's a nice apologist excuse for what is a failure for Title II to do what it was sold as doing.

I would expect, either way, the rules aren't in full or even partial effect yet.

That's a nice apologist excuse for what is a failure for Title II to do what it was sold as doing.

I would expect, either way, the rules aren't in full or even partial effect yet.
Hey, I'm not an apologist for anything. At most, I'm speculating that they may have a loophole and not that I think they should have one.

Whatever the outcome, they're screwing over their customers and one can't help but wonder if they'd be doing it if there was decent competition in the broadband industry.

The difference between Windows 8.1 on a tablet, and Windows 8.1 on an HTPC is......?

I don't know? I guess it depends on the versions you are running? I fail to see how any of this has to do with a Mobile app on a mobile platform.

Seems like an obvious conflict of interest.

Why we allow Comcast to be a cable provider, a TV provider and a content owner is beyond me. Oh that's right, the entire country is corrupt to the core, I forgot.

So, the fact that it works on multiple other platforms over Comcast? That means nothing?

Oh, right, histrionics. You're citing as proof that the "entire country is corrupt" the inability to use one or two particular devices to stream one channel over one service provider.

Kids in India and Afghanistan (other places too) have to dodge getting kidnapped and murdered while they trundle 8 miles to get a bucket of water each day, but this guy can't binge watch Game of Thrones on his freaking PS4 and by god that is a great cosmic injustice.

So, the fact that it works on multiple other platforms over Comcast? That means nothing?

Oh, right, histrionics. You're citing as proof that the "entire country is corrupt" the inability to use one or two particular devices to stream one channel over one service provider.

Kids in India and Afghanistan (other places too) have to dodge getting kidnapped and murdered while they trundle 8 miles to get a bucket of water each day, but this guy can't binge watch Game of Thrones on his freaking PS4 and by god that is a great cosmic injustice.
"First world problems" huh? That was weak sauce the first time somebody used that rhetorical device; the billionth time it's just sad.

"First world problems" huh? That was weak sauce the first time somebody used that rhetorical device; the billionth time it's just sad.

I agree, plus making comparisons to accept or achieve less is not a good way to think.

Seriously get a HTPC. ANY PC CAN BE A HTPC! I took an old Athlon X4 machine with 4GB of ram and a somewhat dying Seagate 500GB. Somewhat cause it's slow as hell, but still functions. A Radeon 6570 I had lying around for graphics, and Linux Miint 17.1. Though I'm having a hard time running running Minecraft on this machine for some reason so I've switched to XFCE. Open Source drivers not always perfect though I discovered I didn't have S3TC either so that maybe the cause. WHATEVER!

Also get the Logitech K400 keyboard if you wanna lay in bed and use the thing. Cost $20 off Ebay for me.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-feature-image.png

It's easy to block a PS3 or Roku type device. Good luck trying to do that with a PC.

It's easy to block a PS3 or Roku type device. Good luck trying to do that with a PC.

Is that a challenge? Comcast could block HBO Go on any device if they really wanted to. The device of choice isn't the problem here, it's the ISP.

Comcast is the devil.

Why isn't there a class action lawsuit against them?

Is that a challenge? Comcast could block HBO Go on any device if they really wanted to. The device of choice isn't the problem here, it's the ISP.

Then I'll just setup a vpn. A htpc can have a vpn, ps4, not so much.

A device you control > a device you don't.

Title II will allow the FCC to regulate more, we have not seen what those regulations specifically will be outside of net neutrality "no fast lanes"...

The netflix vs Comcat/Version technically wasn't a a net neutrality issue since there was no evidence the ISPs were blocking or throttling traffic specifically. They just failed to maintain connection capacity required to the interconnect Netflix was using to get to their networks.

The FCC/Title II change will allow the FCC to mediate or judge any disputes like this in the future though which could be better then these corp battles with the customer in the middle. From what I understand.

As usual the media mixes up the issue technically but I imo think it shouldn't matter, these situations should be regulated and decided since they don't want real competition.

You can tunnel your PS4 through a VPN just as easily as your PC. The only device that matters here is your router. In this context, you don't "control" the PS4 any more than you "control" your PC since the ISP is the one controlling what what data can get to your devices in the first place. If you want full control over what can and cannot get to your devices, you'd better disconnect all of them from the internet immediately.

A VPN won't help you if Comcast won't authenticate your HBO Go access. It's not an issue of how you're connecting to the Internet; it's an issue of getting around Comcast's software.

Back