980 SLI with different revision Gigabyte G1 Gaming Cards

eclypse

2[H]4U
Just bought my 2nd Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 card tonight at my local Microcenter and I get home and I check the box and it says rev. 1.0. :( God.. I cant believe I forgot to check the box as I knew I had the newest rev 1.1 card from the same store 22 days sooner.

Honestly was distracted in the store and didn't get my hands on the card till at the checkout counter. Totally thought of it before I went.

So of course I had to use the card even though since I had the pc case all wired up and ready for the new card.

Seems to run fine so far in BF4 and Shadow of Mordor.. Fast and no lockups or errors.

Did notice what I was afraid of though is that of course there both using different bios and the voltages are different between the 2.

The older rev 1.0 uses more voltage. I'm sure that would play a roll at messing up any future overclocking.

Honestly figured all the cards they would have would be the newest rev 1.1.

So how important is it that they match? If I do get both rev 1.1 will the cards have equal voltage at giving clocks or is that card dependent? I know when I had my quad 7970s the cards had different voltages on load.

Also the original rev 1.1 has a ASIC of 76.3% while the new card Rev 1.0 has 71.2.

So something to worry about it or not?

Voltage is card dependent.

You can mod the BIOS if you want both to clock the same or have the same voltage. Obviously you'll need to test the cards separately to see what you get as your max stable per card.

If you're happy with performance and aren't crashing at all, you should be fine. The performance difference between getting both cards running the same clocks and voltage isn't very much.

Thanks.. what I figured. With it being just freakin fine and no coil whine I might just keep her in the rig haha.

Crazy how Shadow of Mordor would crash within 2-3 mins and the only way I could play the game I found was in windowed borderless mode. Now in SLI I can play full screen again with 0 lockups. Nuts if that makes any sense. Anyways happy about that as I can now use G-sync mode in the game.

Also wanted to mention to those that want to know. 750 watt PS seems fine even with overclocked SLI. Max draw I see under heavy load on my Kill-A-Watt is 550+ Watts. Idle sits at 176 watts. CPU is not overclocked though.

Card currently running at 1500/8000. Highest I tried so far in SLI.

Don't the 9xx cards have an issue/"feature" where they run at slightly different voltages in SLI?

Honestly I don't think the revision is anything to worry about and the ASIC quality is not a good indicator of anything in my experience.

Just enjoy the cards.

Back