Falcon Northwest claim they "created the gaming PC"

Them and Maingear are a joke, much worse than Alienware -- who right now has IMO the best steam machine.

I used the "report" function and claimed false advertising.

I remember back in the 90 s seeing their ads in PCACCELERATOR magazine. For myself, it was the first company that I saw who advertised custom built gaming machines with top hardware and Sweet custom paint jobs.

But claiming to invent them is about as legit as Dr. Evil's father inventing the exclamation mark.

Since there is no hard and fast definition of what constitutes the "gaming PC" they might be okay ... also, since they were founded in 1992 when the PC was still relatively new they could be one of the oldest boutique manufacturers left

Invented the "gaming PC?" Maybe the first on the scene to offer custom-built PCs whose main purpose is gaming... "Gaming PC" is a concept applied to something tangible, not an actual thing.
I used the "report" function and claimed false advertising.
Good call ;).
I would think like Alien Ware kinda did =)
Alienware was founded in 1996, Falcon-NW in 1992. Though I think Voodoo may have actually beaten Falcon-NW to the punch?

I think Voodoo was founded in 1991, so its possible.

But really I think the Atari 400 and 800 are the OG gaming PC.

I think Voodoo was founded in 1991, so its possible.

But really I think the Atari 400 and 800 are the OG gaming PC.

It all depends on how you want to define "gaming pc" ... one could argue that the Apple II+ was certainly an early gaming PC with notable additions like a hard drive and color graphics ... the Amiga was certainly cutting edge in its day with improved sound and graphics ... and of course the later models of the various PCs that contained sound cards, video cards, and CD-ROMs (all hardware that was ultimately needed to take gaming to the next level) ... it all depends on how you want to define things ;)

I'd say it was the C64...

As far as the PC goes in its current form, I think Falcon was one of the first that advertised PCs designed around gaming. It's not that big of a deal. Anyone could have built the same thing, but there weren't really other companies doing it at the time. (or at least not many, and none that are memorable) I always forget Faclon even exists. First time I've thought of them in years. :D It was probably the initial Steambox announcement the last time.

Invented the "gaming PC?" Maybe the first on the scene to offer custom-built PCs whose main purpose is gaming... "Gaming PC" is a concept applied to something tangible, not an actual thing.
Good call ;).
Alienware was founded in 1996, Falcon-NW in 1992. Though I think Voodoo may have actually beaten Falcon-NW to the punch?

Yea Voodoo was slightly earlier than Falcon-NW, though those two were definitely at the vanguard of the custom gaming pc front.

The FM Towns was probably the first purpose-built gaming PC. (not 100% games, but definitely leaned that way) Japan only of course, but...

LMAO, My first gaming build predates those tools.

I INVENTED THE GAMING PC!!!!!

LMAO, My first gaming build predates those tools.

I INVENTED THE GAMING PC!!!!!

:D

Mine too. 8086, Paradise EGA, 640K, Princeton Graphics EGA Monitor, PC Speaker. :D Quickly upgraded to a 286 with 1MB, kept EGA for a little longer, but added a Soundblaster 1.0 a little while later, followed by a 256K VGA card.

"Invented" maybe a little overstated and worthy of legal action since anything can be technically considered a "Gaming PC" dating back many decades.

However, when I think of exotic PC manufacturers focused on gamers I look at a few companies. Alienware and Falcon Northwest are two of them, at least still standing. Of course neither are what they used to be, but in my head those two stand out the clearest if I had to make the claim.

Poor wording that'll cause a shitstorm. Nothing big.

Idk they might have the title, its not always the first company to do something but the first company to declare it legally.

When I was young and didn't know much about building my own PC I bought DX2-66 from them and it was expensive but awesome. Man did I have a great time with that PC, I used my savings from Bday and grass cutting to get tha. I was so proud of using my own money it was the first big purchase I ever made, I remember back then I called them a couple of times and they always helped me thru any problems and they even sent me a Bday card hehe.

When I was young and didn't know much about building my own PC I bought DX2-66 from them and it was expensive but awesome. Man did I have a great time with that PC, I used my savings from Bday and grass cutting to get tha. I was so proud of using my own money it was the first big purchase I ever made, I remember back then I called them a couple of times and they always helped me thru any problems and they even sent me a Bday card hehe.

I also bought one of my first real gaming PC's through them (before I started building them myself)...the cabling was unreal...a work of art...also excellent customer service and support...I remember them actually buying parts that I requested to put into the rig...they are crazy expensive but I would recommend them to anyone who doesn't mind the extra cost

FNW is definitely old-school stuff, but this is some pretty heady commentary to make.

Perhaps Al Gore is testing out new PR opportunities.

Commodore invented the gaming PC, as the Amiga 1000 looked like a PC and was primarily used as a gaming machine, at least that is what we did with my friends A1000 in 1987, we'd go over to his place and play games for a few hours.

Commodore and Falcon Northwest in the same forum post. Reminds me of the good old days when Kyle got that broken PC in from Falcon, and the lawsuit over the Phantom console or whatever it was called. I miss my old forum account. ;(

In the era of assembling PC's, they're the first company I can recall selling builds specifically designed for gaming. I don't think it's that crazy of a claim even if it isn't 100% correct.

In the era of assembling PC's, they're the first company I can recall selling builds specifically designed for gaming. I don't think it's that crazy of a claim even if it isn't 100% correct.

Yeah, I agree. I remember seeing their ads in magazines MANY years ago. Whether or not they were exactly first, they were very much among the first to do exactly what they do. Plenty of other options were available to build a gaming PC, but the whole "no expense spared, no expense not passed on to the buyer" :D approach more or less started with them. At the very least, I really don't see this as anywhere close to lawsuit material. People are way to sensitive.

I remember calling them back in the mid-'90s about a gaming PC and the price was ridiculous. $4000 or $5000 I think and it wasn't their top end machine. They seemed very professional but the cost led me on the path to building my own. IIRC they advertised a lot in Boot and PC Gamer mags. With cheap parts and competition these days it's hard to believe they are still around. To buy from them you're either a long time fan or have money to burn.

Looks like the moniker of "first gaming pc" has been removed. That or I need to head to bed...

Back