Lockheed Laser Weapon Destroys Truck From a Mile Away

HardOCP News

[H] News
Lockheed Martin tested its 30-kilowatt laser on a truck . You can see the results in this picture.

"This test represents the next step to providing lightweight and rugged laser weapon systems for military aircraft, helicopters, ships and trucks," Keoki Jackson, chief technology officer of Lockheed Martin, said in a statement.

Great so if the US Army comes up against some Cholos with seriously large hydraulics in the back of their car doing back wheelies we can scorch the hood... and mess up the portrait of the Virgin Mary

"There is debate over whether they are worth funding at all. But Lockheed is enthusiastic about its device....."

I can see the value of using this on a light target like a missile, since there is no need to calculate an intercept trajectory. Or even as a repellent weapon (who's gonna keep charging a position with that on you), but against anything with any kind a of armor it's not too practical. If they could make a laser pierce a hole through 4 inches of steel in less than a second they might have something.

I can't tell if the vid is only capturing the ending or not and I didn't read the article... but how long does it take to take out the drone/missile?

I remember a vid back a while ago, where it took a good couple of seconds to burn through a small ship hull, will it be that long?

This is just for show and tell. It's the 600,000+ watt Free-Electron Lasers that are going to do the real work.

"There is debate over whether they are worth funding at all. But Lockheed is enthusiastic about its device....."

I can see the value of using this on a light target like a missile, since there is no need to calculate an intercept trajectory. Or even as a repellent weapon (who's gonna keep charging a position with that on you), but against anything with any kind a of armor it's not too practical. If they could make a laser pierce a hole through 4 inches of steel in less than a second they might have something.

What you said about the anti-missile use is exactly why this could become handy against larger pieces of armor...

Strap a smaller version of this baby to the top of a main battle tank, and use it to quickly and accurately melt the enemies various optics and missile systems on their armor. Huge advantage.

It could also be used to shoot down missiles as you mentioned, but beyond that it could be used to silently eliminate enemy radars or other security equipment before storming a position.... Lots of uses really...

real_genius_hp_150_1.jpg

Mitch and Chris are unavailable for comment.

Great so if the US Army comes up against some Cholos with seriously large hydraulics in the back of their car doing back wheelies we can scorch the hood... and mess up the portrait of the Virgin Mary

I laughed so hard I started to cry

It looks like it melted it a bit but did it go all the way through?
It seems to have a long ways to go for it to make a decent weapon.

Maybe use it to start fires from far away?! :D That will show those mean enemies who's boss!

Nice, there are plenty of ISIS targets to further test it on. Let's gets moving.

Couple this with the portable fusion reactors Lockheed Martin is supposedly on the brink of developing again and things get interesting.

They're soo late getting that to market.

th

They've been on the brink of inventing it since the 70s, so, yeah. Broken record a bit. I don't think Skunkworks would be bullshitting everyone though. For them to say 5 years test, 10 years commercial makes me guess they already have a military use test reactor up and running.

Lockeed Martin is something else. First high beta fusion reactors in 10 years, now particle weapons. Now if they could only build the JSF on time and on budget... :p

Lockeed Martin is something else. First high beta fusion reactors in 10 years, now particle weapons. Now if they could only build the JSF on time and on budget... :p

you kidding? Theyd be better off completely abandoning that shitty underperforming not an all purpose fighter aircraft. The fact that they won the contract is mind boggling. Better hope it doesnt have to fly against the mig-50

shitty underperforming not an all purpose fighter aircraft.

^ This. A truly all-purpose fighter would have to be able to do everything an F-117A, F-22, F-18, F-15, F-16, and an A-10 can do - all at the same time. The entire concept is ridiculous. I could get into a huge rant about the whole "let's replace all the old ways of fighting wars with expensive precision-guided high-tech surgical stuff". I'll give the short version: Precision strikes failed in Afghanistan so badly that they resorted to flying B-52 Stratofortresses in high-altitude carpet-bombing runs using lots and lots of inexpensive dumb bombs. WWII-era tactics succeeded where the "new" thinking fell completely flat, and yet they still won't give up on the failed concept of "surgical strikes solve everything", hence the JSF. The same egghead stupidity that retired the Iowa class battleships without a viable replacement for off-shore fire support operations wants to scrap the A-10 and replace it with this POS.

tl;dr: Lasers are cool.

yeah - that's racist. " Usually Disparaging. a term used to refer to a Mexican or Mexican-American."
"Cholo (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈtʃolo]) is an ethnic slur"

Yeah except it's not.

"In modern usage in the United States, the term "cholo" usually indicates a person of Mexican or Mexican-American descent, generally mestizo or Amerindian, who is associated with American cultural subgroups such as the "lowrider" car culture, or the hip hop scene in general."

"Despite, or because of, its long history of denigrating semantics, the term Cholo was turned on its head and used as a symbol of pride in the context of the ethnic power movements of the 1960s"

Back