Microsoft Wants Devs To Use Windows 10 To Ease Xbox One Development

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think a strategy that focuses on cross-platform gaming could be huge for Microsoft if they do it right.

Spencer wants to see unified gaming across all Windows 10 devices, including the Xbox One. This allows gamers that play on any Windows 10 device to play with those on Xbox One. No longer will there be a divide, which is great for multiplayer games. This means if someone is playing on PC, they can play with Xbox One users as well. Everything will crossover.

They should lead by example by porting Halo series over to Windows ;)

I agree, let's make all FPS game cross-platform.

*maniacal laughter*

Valve and Vulkan says otherwise. Also PS4 is now 20 million sold.

Future-Valve-Games-SteamOS-Will-Use-Vulkan-Next-Gen-OpenGL-API-474768-2.jpg

They would have to allow a mouse and keyboard connected to the console to be used in all the games to even out playing field.

Yes, lets create more incentive to constrain PC interface to crappy twin stick gaming! Yeah! Love it!!

I agree, let's make all FPS game cross-platform.

*maniacal laughter*

Indeed, would be a riot watching all these kids who think they are good at a shooter with a controller get shit on by PC's.

Indeed, would be a riot watching all these kids who think they are good at a shooter with a controller get shit on by PC's.

What will be even funnier is watching all those PC elitist who think they are good getting owned by console players. :D It is not the controller you use but the player behind the controller. (That said, I stink at playing fps games with a controller. :D )

Valve and Vulkan says otherwise. Also PS4 is now 20 million sold.

Future-Valve-Games-SteamOS-Will-Use-Vulkan-Next-Gen-OpenGL-API-474768-2.jpg

So, there are more PS4 dust collectors out there than I would have thought. Cool. :D Also, who the heck is Vulkan and good luck with that SteamOS.

What will be even funnier is watching all those PC elitist who think they are good getting owned by console players. :D It is not the controller you use but the player behind the controller. (That said, I stink at playing fps games with a controller. :D )
Funny thing about console players...

I had a friend who was a Halo veteran play Halo 2 on PC. He preferred playing on controller. I was watching him playing online at one point and he was flustered when trying to shoot someone from behind and they instantly turned around. "How the hell does that happen?" he exclaimed. Ah, the console gamer ignorance. :cool:

Funny thing about console players...

I had a friend who was a Halo veteran play Halo 2 on PC. He preferred playing on controller. I was watching him playing online at one point and he was flustered when trying to shoot someone from behind and they instantly turned around. "How the hell does that happen?" he exclaimed. Ah, the console gamer ignorance. :cool:

Yep, keyboard shortcuts and lack of gaming skills on the PC for the win. :D The instant turn around could have been the gamer but was more than likely a keyboard combo. Still, all part of the game.

Typical, so now the misogynists at Microsoft are supporting rape culture.

Cuz no way those console noobs can compete without aim-assist, lol! :D

Yep, keyboard shortcuts and lack of gaming skills on the PC for the win. :D The instant turn around could have been the gamer but was more than likely a keyboard combo. Still, all part of the game.
Well... appeared to be instant due to latency, but I'm sure we all know that it is just the ability to move the mouse really fast ;). Joystick movement is linear.

I'm just going to assume you're trolling.

A keyboard combo? how does that turn around for you?

I think a strategy that focuses on cross-platform gaming could be huge for Microsoft if they do it right.

Agreed. And also how this works out beyond games. The elimination of stove piping and a single way to develop across all of Microsoft's platforms has been a long time issue that does seem to be finally here.

Agreed. And also how this works out beyond games. The elimination of stove piping and a single way to develop across all of Microsoft's platforms has been a long time issue that does seem to be finally here.
They could have already done that with the XBone, as it literally runs off Windows 7, while simultaneously running two other OSs... its a huge memory hog, when it could have been a simple standard lean Windows 7 image with unnecessary services and apps removed running a simple skin GUI.

The problem is that they didn't want people to be able to mod it, be able to play online for free, and eliminate their gaming revenue stream by allowing it to just install games from say Steam like any Windows box, and so they tried to make it as proprietary and convoluted and locked down as possible.

They could have already done that with the XBone, as it literally runs off Windows 7, while simultaneously running two other OSs... its a huge memory hog, when it could have been a simple standard lean Windows 7 image with unnecessary services and apps removed running a simple skin GUI.

The problem is that they didn't want people to be able to mod it, be able to play online for free, and eliminate their gaming revenue stream by allowing it to just install games from say Steam like any Windows box, and so they tried to make it as proprietary and convoluted and locked down as possible.

Memory Hog? Sorry, I have not noticed that? Have any proof of this? Personal experience? Your example also is highly over simplified and impossible anyways when it comes to what the Xbox One is capable of. Otherwise, you would have to deal with the overhead of an OS running in the background which simply does not appear to be the case with the current One setup.

As do I. Stop being cute.

Not being cute. One is not better than the other automatically. It still depends on the person behind the controller. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, it is just the way things work.

On a different note, I do not play online all that much more anyways since I do not have the time to waste like I used too. Still, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is still one of the best online only games out there in my opinion.

Not being cute. One is not better than the other automatically. It still depends on the person behind the controller. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, it is just the way things work.

On a different note, I do not play online all that much more anyways since I do not have the time to waste like I used too. Still, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is still one of the best online only games out there in my opinion.

Skill will always be a factor. Using a mouse and keyboard does give an advantage in an fps. This shouldn't even be questioned.

I would stop assuming then. I play games on the PC and consoles so, you may need to check it at the door.

There is fanboyism and there is being a fan. You're off in lala land. I love my Xbox One, and I love Microsoft. But, to say the PC requires a shortcut or something and not just a quick flick of the wrist to get it to do that is ignorance. The Xbox One is excellent, but it cannot compete with the speed of the mouse/keyboard. Those quick turnarounds are part of it. I suck at FPS's on the console. I'm good on the PC. I still love playing them on the console. If it's not trolling, it's ignorance.

Microsoft is doing things good with the Xbox One and Windows 10. Cross platform gaming will be good. Even if it's not FPS, but a different multiplayer game. Slower paced RPG, driving games (Forza Horizon on PC? Sign me up)... Microsoft has these different platforms, they should take advantage of it. Sony has the Playstation. They've tied it to the Vita in some ways, but that's all they have. Those gaming consoles. Microsoft has a good selection of platforms - Desktop OS, Mobile OS (small marketshare, but still there), Tablets and the Xbox. Why keep them segmented? Tie them together and make them work together.

Why move the mouse faster when I can just turn up the sensitivity and move the mouse one inch on the mouse pad and spin about 16 times in a full 360?

Any gamer that's worth their salt will have their preferences for specif genre of games.

FPS, RTS, and overhead action like Diablo and Torchlight are hands down the best with mouse and keyboard.

Other games like the Demon and Dark souls series imo are best with a controller as the mouse and keyboard just feel off, delayed etc.

But, I will also agree that platformers, sports games, some style of rpg's are best with a controller.

Where as mmo's like WoW or clones of wow interface are far better off with keyboard and mouse.

What I am saying is that certain types of games will favor one input type over another for ease of use, playability etc. I just cannot ever see a pro gamer that uses a controller win over an average gamer using a keyboard and mouse in a FPS. There is just way to much of an advantage in that scenario if the KB+M user has an inclining of a clue.

So, there are more PS4 dust collectors out there than I would have thought. Cool. :D Also, who the heck is Vulkan and good luck with that SteamOS.

Just ignore Assbringer. He posts his ridiculous nonsense in any thread where MS is cast in a positive light.

The universal app concept is quite a bit different than what could have been done with Windows 7. We're not just talking about the PC and the XBox but phones and tablets and while Microsoft's market share in mobile is very low, there's still a lot more units there than the Xbox and PS 4 combined.

The problem is Microsoft chooses not to publish their own games on Windows. What kind of message does that send gamers and fellow developers?

If Microsoft wants people to do this then they need to set the example and start publishing every single Microsoft Studios game on both Xbox and Windows 10.

Memory Hog? Sorry, I have not noticed that? Have any proof of this? Personal experience? Your example also is highly over simplified and impossible anyways when it comes to what the Xbox One is capable of. Otherwise, you would have to deal with the overhead of an OS running in the background which simply does not appear to be the case with the current One setup.
There are threads here on the forum, but the cliffs notes is that the XBox is basically running three Windows blades for instant app switching, and 3GB of the 8GB is used up by the operating system, leaving a remaining 5GB accessible for the game and other apps.

Cross talk between the OS's is obviously slow, which is why people experience lags when getting a simple "achievement unlocked" in game.

Even for a full home Windows user, to utilize a full 3GB overhead for the OS itself is considered pretty crazy heavy.

So, more games neutered to work with an inferior user interface. Thanks, Microsoft, you just hit another one out of the park!

The universal app concept is quite a bit different than what could have been done with Windows 7. We're not just talking about the PC and the XBox but phones and tablets and while Microsoft's market share in mobile is very low, there's still a lot more units there than the Xbox and PS 4 combined.
Sorry, I said Windows 7 when I should have said 8, because the XBone runs Windows 8 (I misspoke earlier) and its the Windows 8 unified metro interface across phones, console, start menu on desktops and tablets that they were trying to unify.

Skill will always be a factor. Using a mouse and keyboard does give an advantage in an fps. This shouldn't even be questioned.

There use to be more skill in kb/m but since PC games for over the last 10 years have been ported console games, the games are fundementally architected to not reward good aiming skill. Or to embrace the complexity of movement options a keyboard can offer. Can't remember the last time I played a game with peak and without auto-cover.
FPS games don't really have the skill gradient they use to have.

Vulkan is the new OpenGL API to compete with DX12. You'll hear more about that today from Valve. At least I think Valve is going to do their presentation today.

I do instant turn around all the time. It's called moving the mouse really fast. :rolleyes:

Just ignore Assbringer. He posts his ridiculous nonsense in any thread where MS is cast in a positive light.
Just ignore face2palm. He posts are full of palm to the face. What? Am I fired?

picard.jpg

The problem is Microsoft chooses not to publish their own games on Windows. What kind of message does that send gamers and fellow developers?

If Microsoft wants people to do this then they need to set the example and start publishing every single Microsoft Studios game on both Xbox and Windows 10.

Not to mention paying off thir diaries to keep titles off of Windows (see Rise of the Tomb Raider). Until I see Halo 5 on Windows, Phil Spence continues to be full of shit.

Considering they make little off of the console itself and most of their money comes from Xbox Live / game sales / accessories. They could be working an angle to leverage their massive server farms and be a host/digital distributor. If games are developed on Win10 and released for Xbox as well as PC. They won't lose too many people as consolers will still buy the console version. The PC side could see revenue from A) an Xbox store for PC digital distribution (exclusive agreements, larger cut), and B) payment for multiplayer hosting.

A steam-like service built into Win10 under the Xbox brand could do wonders if they work it into their contracts that they get PC digital distribution rights.

Considering they make little off of the console itself and most of their money comes from Xbox Live / game sales / accessories. They could be working an angle to leverage their massive server farms and be a host/digital distributor. If games are developed on Win10 and released for Xbox as well as PC. They won't lose too many people as consolers will still buy the console version. The PC side could see revenue from A) an Xbox store for PC digital distribution (exclusive agreements, larger cut), and B) payment for multiplayer hosting.

A steam-like service built into Win10 under the Xbox brand could do wonders if they work it into their contracts that they get PC digital distribution rights.

You do realize all this "One Windows, One Xbox, One Platform united" over-the-rainbow marketing noise is limited to Metro apps. Minor detail.

Back