Apple Watch Wins Prestigious Design Award

HardOCP News

[H] News
How does a product win a "prestigious design award" before it even comes out?

The upcoming smartwatch has been lauded by winning gold in the 2015 iF Design Awards. Given out every year since 1954 by the Germany-based iF International Forum Design, the awards -- gold in particular -- are considered prestigious honors in the design community as judges must pick the top products from among 2,000 entries and a variety of categories.

How did Obama win a Nobel Peace Prize before doing anything remotely peace related?

Liberal media supports their own; nothing new.

Just like you can pay JD Edwards to do a study to say anything you like and award you since they're truly a marketing firm. Plus, who runs a business and pay employees to do free research?

Generally speaking I like apples designs. While I may not particularly care for the product itself they do make some really good looking stuff. However this watch is NOT one of them...WTF? How did this win awards? The thing is Fucking Hideous.

Must be the same committee that awarder the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama, for, er, never mind.

Generally speaking I like apples designs. While I may not particularly care for the product itself they do make some really good looking stuff. However this watch is NOT one of them...WTF? How did this win awards? The thing is Fucking Hideous.

Well, from looking at their other award winners, I'll posit it won it for the following.

1) A simple silhouette that is largely rectangular.
2) minimal controls
3) limited color palette
4) maintains it's aesthetic under harsh single light source, or diffuse multiple light source.
5) fit and finish
6) quality of materials.
7) Smart watches are an area where lots of promotional dollars are being spent and the fashion world is trying to make itself seem relevant by embracing them (sort of).

So basically, they have this aesthetic, and if they feel that smart watches are a thing of trend and fashion they must comment on, the apple watch is the smart watch that cuts closest to their aesthetic at the moment while being most involved with the groups they most want to stand as gatekeepers or judges for.

Well, from looking at their other award winners, I'll posit it won it for the following.

1) A simple silhouette that is largely rectangular.
2) minimal controls
3) limited color palette
4) maintains it's aesthetic under harsh single light source, or diffuse multiple light source.
5) fit and finish
6) quality of materials.
7) Smart watches are an area where lots of promotional dollars are being spent and the fashion world is trying to make itself seem relevant by embracing them (sort of).

So basically, they have this aesthetic, and if they feel that smart watches are a thing of trend and fashion they must comment on, the apple watch is the smart watch that cuts closest to their aesthetic at the moment while being most involved with the groups they most want to stand as gatekeepers or judges for.

In summary, it won the award for being the most pretentious.

How does a product win a "prestigious design award" before it even comes out?

You [Apple] incorporate your own company through employee proxies and "award" the not-yet-for-sale/available Apple watch--then release an Apple PR announcement heralding the "award" for the unreleased watch...;) I have a feeling this [Apple watch] will be like a bad movie: it will receive a huge amount of advertising promotion from Apple to try and stimulate sales because the product will be a real yawner...

The article stated this... The entry-level Sport model will start at $349, while the top-of-the-line Apple Watch Edition could sell for $4,999 and higher, according to predictions from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. :eek:

And, not one comment on whether either model is waterproof or at the very least resist water 30 meters. A watch should be awarded a title when it has millions of positive purchaser's review(s).

No one accepts Apple's reviews as factual when past products turned out ugly...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/01/30-years-in-apple-products-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

This watch is ugly no matter how much gold they use. :D

This is no more than the old media outlets where we used to buy CD's and such. Some still may use this method of purchasing music, I personally like having a physical copy of an album. Anyways, I remember about 20 years ago I worked for Strawberries Music and they were paid off to rank the "hot albums" the lists would come out before the albums even released. This is where Apple basically bought an award for self promotion if you ask me. It works, who cares if it is honest, all Apple cares about is profits.

I don't see a problem for winning a design award. They have released information on the design of the product, after all.

If it were an award for best product, that would be dumb.

Maybe it's suppose to read "Apple Watch Wins Pretentious Design Award"

I think the watch is fugly...

I wish the Apple Watch looked like this Smartwatch,
smartwatch.jpg

LG Audi watch looks the best so far and it can operate untethered from phone since it has built-in cellular.

lg-audi-watch-2-600x329.png

how the fuck do you give a design award to something that looks so ugly on people's wrists ?

This watch should also be a nominee for the "Banker's Awards" for the 6 to 8 BILLION dollars Apple expects to make from it. Who cares if it looks like anything other than 8 billion dollars really.

I question what the hell the two have to do with each other.
If you go to Starbucks and hunt down your typical aging hipster liberal douche, you will find he staunchly supports Obama and Apple. Same thing for most marketing departments, and the liberal media in general. Its really helped Apple as they don't need to have much of a marketing budget, as the media will market for them for free at every opportunity.

Its kind of hilarious though as liberals hate megacorporations like Walmart, and yet manage to ignore that Apple is a megacorporation selling products made in China just like Walmart... but under an Ikea like veneer, so its trendy enough for them to like it.

Kindof reminds me of liberals that are super pro-homosexuality while also being super pro-muslim, when muslims hate homos. Its like promoting both the KKK and Black Panthers, lol! Its like at our office actually, we have a prayer room now on every floor set aside by request of a muslim group at our main office so they can do their frequent prayer breaks (I think some might be faking it and just sleeping and when someone disturbs them they abruptly wake up and say praise Allah or something), but we don't even have a muslim on every floor of our building. Double irony is that we just had a memo that went out to marketing to ensure nothing says Christmas on it (no christmas trees, christmas decorations, etc just holiday decorations and happy holidays) not three months earlier... ;)

Oh well, even with Apple's faithful dedicated shoppers that will buy anything with a fruit on it, I just don't see how these will sell. It just doesn't add any practicality, and is another thing you have to remember to keep charged.

How did Obama win a Nobel Peace Prize before doing anything remotely peace related?

Liberal media supports their own; nothing new.

Well it could have won best pile of crap! Don't forget to add the measles to the list of liberal accomplishments.

If you go to Starbucks and hunt down your typical aging hipster liberal douche, you will find he staunchly supports Obama and Apple. Same thing for most marketing departments, and the liberal media in general. Its really helped Apple as they don't need to have much of a marketing budget, as the media will market for them for free at every opportunity.

Its kind of hilarious though as liberals hate megacorporations like Walmart, and yet manage to ignore that Apple is a megacorporation selling products made in China just like Walmart... but under an Ikea like veneer, so its trendy enough for them to like it.

Kindof reminds me of liberals that are super pro-homosexuality while also being super pro-muslim, when muslims hate homos. Its like promoting both the KKK and Black Panthers, lol! Its like at our office actually, we have a prayer room now on every floor set aside by request of a muslim group at our main office so they can do their frequent prayer breaks (I think some might be faking it and just sleeping and when someone disturbs them they abruptly wake up and say praise Allah or something), but we don't even have a muslim on every floor of our building. Double irony is that we just had a memo that went out to marketing to ensure nothing says Christmas on it (no christmas trees, christmas decorations, etc just holiday decorations and happy holidays) not three months earlier... ;)

Oh well, even with Apple's faithful dedicated shoppers that will buy anything with a fruit on it, I just don't see how these will sell. It just doesn't add any practicality, and is another thing you have to remember to keep charged.

Never have I seen the concept of 'divide and conquer' so successfully applied to a nation by it's ruling elite.

I just looked at some pictures.
That is the ugliest piece of crap I have seen in awhile.
Why even bother with this crap.
If I had enough money to buy watches, I would buy a watch, with you know, gears on it.
That part of the art of the watch, the mechanism, to make one that can keep the time very precisely, and yet be entirely mechanical.
The apple watch is freaking ugly in any category... just what is wrong with people!.
I am sure it will be a huge success, doesn't seem like apple can fail at anything I guess.

ITT the anti-apple crowd of [H] hate on the design of the watch because it is apple. As a chartered industrial designer I find the design to be quite nice.

Maybe try decaff?

Interesting that you some of you love to equate 'liberal' with 'Apple'. Like no conservative uses an iPhone or iPad or Mac.

Interesting that you some of you love to equate 'liberal' with 'Apple'. Like no conservative uses an iPhone or iPad or Mac.

No true Scotsman fallacy eh?

Back when I used to listen to him Rush was a HUGE Apple supporter and even gave away Apple products to his listeners.

Magpul makes iPhone cases along with their evil baby killing 30 caliber clip magazines.

Well, I suppose now that Apple is so mainstream, its core of "think different" stereotypical more artistic liberals has been diluted to include everything from grandmas to business men upgrading from Blackberrys for whom android and windows phones were too complicated to use. Definitely more relevant back in the time of the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials.

ITT the anti-apple crowd of [H] hate on the design of the watch because it is apple. As a chartered industrial designer I find the design to be quite nice.

No, its 'cause its ugly.. I haven't paid attention to others, the one or two I paid attention were uglier, so I guess points for that.

Since you are an industrial designer can you describe what is superior to others, and how it would be something that goes well with a suit and tie as well as a dress. I am talking about the ugly-ass square, switching bands can be done with any watch for enough money.

Plus if this thing can't handle a shower, its really pointless.
A dress watch can get away with not being water resistant (although I wouldn't buy it) since its supposed to be used just a night here and there and such.
The smart watches are sold to be part of your daily life, including exercise, washing the car things like that.

Other than the crappy resolution hardly anyone knocks the Macbook Air. Apple Watch, on the other hand, looks like it came out of a bubble gum dispenser along with the iPhone 6 series.

Back