AMD Takes Aim At Exceptional Content With New LiquidVR Technologies

HardOCP News

[H] News
​Today, at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, AMD announced an initiative to deliver the best possible VR experience for developers and users through new AMD technologies and partnerships. The first output of AMD’s initiative is LiquidVR™, a set of innovative technologies focused on enabling exceptional VR content development for AMD hardware, improved comfort in VR applications by facilitating performance, and plug-and-play compatibility with VR headsets. The upcoming LiquidVR SDK makes a number of technologies available which help address obstacles in content, comfort and compatibility that together take the industry a major step closer to true, life-like presence across all VR games, applications, and experiences.

In virtual reality, the concept of ‘presence’ is described as the perception of being physically present in a simulated, nonphysical world in a way that fully immerses the user. A key obstacle to achieving presence is addressing motion-to-photon latency, the time between when a user moves their head and when his or her eye sees an updated image reflecting that new position. Minimizing motion-to-photon latency is critical to achieving both presence and comfort, two key elements of great VR.

will find in the bargain bin with the smart watches

While I am a fan of what Oculus is doing, it certainly surprised me how the industry is reacting to VR, with companies like Sony, Valve, AMD, nVidia all getting involve in either making their own VR or through software support.

While I am a fan of what Oculus is doing, it certainly surprised me how the industry is reacting to VR, with companies like Sony, Valve, AMD, nVidia all getting involve in either making their own VR or through software support.
AMD and nVidia have had 3D software for quite some time now, and I think the real breakthrough here is really just high DPI small LCDs.

Thank phones like the Galaxy Note for making VR plausible. :)

AMD and nVidia have had 3D software for quite some time now, and I think the real breakthrough here is really just high DPI small LCDs.

Thank phones like the Galaxy Note for making VR plausible. :)

Yep. Stuff like this has been in the works for a long time, but it's not until recently that it was viable as a consumer product. Even then the image quality still has a long way to go.

It'll be viable when they can make it small, light weight and barely larger than a pair of sunglasses. Imagine a pair of WileyX glasses with the gasket to block ambient light. That's when I'll get in on the action.

The rush to waste a boat load of money...reminds me of the 3D craze. Just not ready for prime time yet and a couple of these companies should use that funding for more mature products...just my 2 cents.

will find in the bargain bin with the smart watches
VQAJlu7.jpg

I think AMD is up to a few pointless announcements per week, a new record. Q1'15 results are still going to be horrible.

Everyone seems to want a piece of VR. It's gonna be the next big thing, even though it already feels outdated. Remember how the sales on 3d tv's were mind-blowingly astronomical? Yeah, neither do I. Anyhoo, get your popcorn ready!

Looks like it's the Wild West for VR technology again. Everyone's getting in on the action, making their own products. Do these things even follow any standard? Will one game or program work for all? Are we stuck with being stuck with one particular device due to hardware differences?

This is nuts, man. I'm staying clear until the smoke clears, I can't even tell which device to root for at this point.

Back