NBC Developing A Streaming Service For Comedy?

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you guys would pay for something like this?

Much like Disney’s recent revelation that it now owns a bunch of Star Wars and Marvel stuff might justify standalone streaming services, NBC has reportedly awoken to the notion that it might be able to make some money selling access to its comedy library.

How is is that practically no network has offered their vault of past shows on a streaming service yet? There are certain episodes of talk shows from years ago that I'd like to see, and they are literally impossible to find, even through illegal venues.

Where is NBC going to find content?

You didn't know that as part of your Comcast contract that anything you upload using their ISP is also their legal property? And such, about 25% of the content on youtube/twitch/anywhere is now their legal domain?

Yeah thanks to NBC's stranglehold over their intellectual property, good luck being able to legally see any old clips from SNL or what not.

However the keyword there is legally, and the internet always will trump a corporations desire to not allow anyone to watch old stuff. Good to see them finally seeing the light and maybe allowing others to stream their shit.

Nope. I'm tired of nickle and dime streaming. Give it ALL to me on ONE service I can pay ONE fee for or go fuck yourself.

Nope. I'm tired of nickle and dime streaming. Give it ALL to me on ONE service I can pay ONE fee for or go fuck yourself.
But I thought cord-cutters wanted a la carte so they only paid for the shows they wanted and not get forced into bundles and paying for things they didn't wanted?

But I thought cord-cutters wanted a la carte so they only paid for the shows they wanted and not get forced into bundles and paying for things they didn't wanted?

This service from NBC is the exact opposite of a bundle and does not provide enough content to justify a separate streaming service. NBC just created the first ”a la carte a la carte”.

I think the key here is cost. Take CBS for example. Even at $6/month for their All Access it seems high compared to Netflix/Hulu Plus/Amazon subs. $3/month sounds more reasonable when comparing the available content between Netflix (mostly older but larger quantity) to CBS All Access (Current, but more limited quantity).

Now if you restrict that even more and only do comedy on NBC... well I couldn't see myself being willing to pay more than $2 a month for that even if it did interest me (I don't watch sitcoms).

Then you have to throw in the always curious issue where it costs me literally $2 to keep basic cable (local channels) with my Internet.. as compared to just Internet. I guess the cable companies figure they'll get the extra money from DVR/STB rentals. For me, I kept it but just use WMC for local recording (which isn't flagged copy-once with Comcast) to avoid any rental fees.

Oh.. and don't forget that if we are paying for a streaming service.. it needs to stream only the shows. Why should I pay to stream commercials that the media company is already getting paid to show?

Well, its a step in the right direction I guess.

Back