Gigabyte WaterForce 3 Way SLI Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Modders Inc. has published a review of the Gigabyte WaterForce 3 Way SLI kit. If you are contemplating an upgrade to a tri-SLI set up, you might want to check out this review.

There comes a time when you have to do something outrageous in order to advance yourself. The companies that are always in the forefront are continuously on this edge, pushing and striving for better products. As a consumer we might ask: Why in the world would they make this and who will buy it?

The most ridiculous setup ever. There's no market for such a thing at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, just not the execution. Offer a card with an AIO installed out the box, without the fuss.

If Gigabyte offered a single and dual card setup without that big old bulky plastic top, cut back those damn hoses, added backplates, and greatly reduced the price, people might be interested and take a bite as there are those folks that don't want to worry about voided warranties, getting all the bits necessary and assembling.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, just not the execution. Offer a card with an AIO installed out the box, without the fuss.

If Gigabyte offered a single and dual card setup without that big old bulky plastic top, cut back those damn hoses, added backplates, and greatly reduced the price, people might be interested and take a bite as there are those folks that don't want to worry about voided warranties, getting all the bits necessary and assembling.

Well said

Agreed, i may even bite if that were the case

As some wise sage once put it: the problem with this... thing is that the people it's trying to target (ultra highend buyers) are precisely those who likely wouldn't bother with CLCs in the first place.

If you calculate the cost of the CLC setup, it's over $1200 for crying out loud. For that kind of coin you could easily assemble your own highend custom loop, which would not only have better cooling, but would be completely customizable and expandable.

So really, the only type of buyers this product would appeal to would be the rich and lazy type.

this has gotta be the jankiest WC setup I've ever seen

those waterblocks are anything but waterblocks, the VRMs and Memory aren't even actively cooled (there's a copper heatsink that covers the entire GPU but it seems to be just passively cooled, the GPU is the only part of the card in contact w/ the pump/block)

just hideous

GTX 980 - $550 x 3 = $1650
EK Block - $129 x 3 = $390
EK 360mm Rad - $100
Swiftech MCP355 - $70
Koolance RP401x2 - $100
Box of Primochill ALRT tubing - $25
Bitspower Crystal Link 2-slot spacing x4 = $20
6 XSPC 1/2" x 3/4" Compression Fittings = $24
8 Bitspower acrylic fittings = $44

$2423

Almost $600 in savings

Edited to add reservoir.

With this setup, it would be a parallel configuration for the GPUs using Bitspower Crystal Link between GPU 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. GPU1 uses a compression going to the radiator, GPU3 uses a compression going to the reservoir

this has gotta be the jankiest WC setup I've ever seen

those waterblocks are anything but waterblocks, the VRMs and Memory aren't even actively cooled (there's a copper heatsink that covers the entire GPU but it seems to be just passively cooled, the GPU is the only part of the card in contact w/ the pump/block)

just hideous

GTX 980 - $550 x 3 = $1650
EK Block - $129 x 3 = $390
EK 360mm Rad - $100
Swiftech MCP355 - $70
Koolance RP401x2 - $100
Box of Primochill ALRT tubing - $25
Bitspower Crystal Link 2-slot spacing x6 = $30
6 XSPC 1/2" x 3/4" Compression Fittings = $24
8 Bitspower acrylic fittings = $44

$2433

Almost $600 in savings

Edited to add reservoir.

With this setup, it would be a parallel configuration for the GPUs using Bitspower Crystal Link between GPU 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. GPU1 uses a compression going to the radiator, GPU3 uses a compression going to the reservoir
Didn't factor in the suit case and extra housing/case for the rads... that's 500 right there.

I like the concept but the execution is horrible. All those hoses running in through the front are just ugly and wrong. The radiator box is huge and so is the price. I think this could have been designed with much more attention to detail.

Not everybody wants to build the loop. And he got to #21 in the world on his 3dmark ranking.

I call that a success, and the next version will be cheaper.

More like Gigabyte MarkupForce. It's probably mostly a marketing exercise.

Not everybody wants to build the loop. And he got to #21 in the world on his 3dmark ranking.

I call that a success, and the next version will be cheaper.

21st in the world had literally zero to do with the half-assed liquid cooling. he couldve gotten a place or two higher and saved 560 dollars by going with a real setup

and to me setting up that system looks like a pain in the ass and its hideous

that is way too much shit. And that price......I know this is [H] but this goes all the way to [R] for Ridiculous.

It completely ruins the aesthetic of any rig unless you're going for the "mad scientist with no taste" look.

And as mentioned, you could get a much nicer water cooling loop for a hell of a lot cheaper and not have that monstrosity stuck to your case like some sort of water-sucking tick.

that is way too much shit. And that price......I know this is [H] but this goes all the way to [R] for Ridiculous.

It's a small price to pay for first timers who do not want to spend the time researching which parts to buy and learn how to set up their own loop.

-------------------

Anyone going to return their 970 and buy this to stick it to Nvidia?

^ genuinely wondering if you're joking, trolling, or .... ?

And....after you build the real water loop, you never have to buy it again when you get different cards.

And....after you build the real water loop, you never have to buy it again when you get different cards.

One would at least need to replace the water jackets every time, which would mean draining the loop, rearranging hoses, and so forth.

You just wouldn't have to replace all of the parts.

^ genuinely wondering if you're joking, trolling, or .... ?

Time is money, and determining which parts are the best, as well as how to set them up properly takes time, and is intimidating to me. I would buy this if I could afford 3x980's (not happening in the near future) and had the right motherboard and case. Besides, set ups like these are marketed to enthusiasts with money (rich people).

Back