Lava Lamp That Uses Ferrofluid

Hate to crap on them, but Ferrofluid's have been done to death on Youtube with more interesting displays than included on this kick-starter. Plus its not that hard to make your own stuff. Toner & some thin clear oil.

Now this is one of those rare things that hits kickstarter that catches my attention. Still won't back a KS, but will be in line to buy one when it hits market for sure.

Hate to crap on them, but Ferrofluid's have been done to death on Youtube with more interesting displays than included on this kick-starter. Plus its not that hard to make your own stuff. Toner & some thin clear oil.

This. The technology has existed since what, the 60's? And you can buy similar ferrofluid displays right now for cheap, or make your own. The video seems to present this as if it's some new tech never seen before. I'll pass.

It looks like they took a regular lavalamp and added the ferrofluid to it.

Now this is one of those rare things that hits kickstarter that catches my attention. Still won't back a KS, but will be in line to buy one when it hits market for sure.

to reflect the other comments.. this hit the market a while ago. even in the "this is awesome for your office" context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOv6_L5C-k

playing with toner has been an office "hey this is broken.. ever seen whats inside?" thing since at least the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQh1AT6qUE

5 mil hits..

dont get me wrong, this is neat, but wanting $7000 to "create" whats been used as a grade school science experiment for years is far from "defying what ive known about science, yet here it is!"

dont get me wrong, this is neat, but wanting $7000 to "create" whats been used as a grade school science experiment for years is far from "defying what ive known about science, yet here it is!"

This isn't a research grant. This is a business.

So far:
Pledge $49 or more
You'll receive a 120 mL plastic display with a permanently magnetized bolt in the center and 3 mL of ferrofluid inside.

Pledge $149 or more
You'll receive a 450 mL glass Ferrofluid Motion Lamp with 15 mL of ferrofluid inside.
Includes magnets.
Free shipping within the U.S.
The expected retail value after kickstarter is $200.

ect..

It's a little reminiscent of the fluid in event horizon that served little purpose yet stayed in it's own little room despite having lost grav and crew members for several years.

Back