Google Confirms Wireless Service 'In Coming Months'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Speaking at Mobile World Congress 2015, Google's senior VP of products announced that Google has plans to launch its own wireless service.

Sundar Pichai, senior vice president of products for Google, confirmed that the world's largest search company was in talks with wireless carriers. He was addressing the speculation that Google would partner with the carriers to offer a hybrid service that would rely on cellular and Wi-Fi networks.

LOL i can see it now.... you will be talking to someone on your phone about how your really in the mood for some mexican food.. and suddenly you will get a text message about local mexican places to where you are right now

both cool.. and VERY creepy

All depends on price I guess. Not really a big fan of t-mobile/sprint coverage though.

Who cares? They're "launching" a MVNO to resell the wireless service of existing carriers ... just like a dozen other companies already do.

"We don't intend to be a network operator at scale," Pichai said in a keynote address at the Mobile World Congress trade show. "We are working with carrier partners."

"Other wireless resellers such as Republic Wireless already employ the same kind of mobile, although they offer limited smartphone selection and availability."

LOL i can see it now.... you will be talking to someone on your phone about how your really in the mood for some mexican food.. and suddenly you will get a text message about local mexican places to where you are right now

both cool.. and VERY creepy

Yes, but they better send me txt messages for places with high quality reviews and coupons. If I want to see a menu I can look online myself.

To paraphrase the USA founding fathers... "No textation without couponization!" :rolleyes:

All depends on price I guess. Not really a big fan of t-mobile/sprint coverage though.

Problem with most these 3rd party wireless plan resellers, is that the coverage is usually worse that the original carrier.

With T-Mobile, I have free limited roaming on other networks, and even limited free text and data while in other countries. Was really nice when I was in Canada last summer. While in Alaska, I don't think I ever had actual T-Mobile coverage, but instead was roaming. However it didn't matter, as there where no extra charges for the limited amount I used it.

If I had service with one of these 3rd parties that uses T-Mobile as their carrier, I wouldn't have any of this, and would end up with no coverage when I was in remote location, instead of the free roaming.

(FYI: I have my phone set to only allow roaming if it's free, and have never been charged extra)

is that market already overly saturated all over the country? Prices for them are all roughly the same no matter what carrier your 3rd party uses.

although they are still WAY cheaper than using the actually carrier itself for service.

although they are still WAY cheaper than using the actually carrier itself for service.

Not when compared to family plans.

T-Mobile Family play with 3 phones, unlimited voice, text & 1GB data each = $90
(Plus taxes of course)

Net 10, with 500 mb data = $40 per phone = $120

Cricket Wireless, $40 each, discount with autopay ($5) multiline ($20) = $95
(Does include 2.5GB of data, but I never use that much anyways)

The issue is if you NEED data, Tmobile and Sprint can't get it to you in a large number of places. If Google was just a Verizon MVNO and came in significantly cheaper, I'd look at it, but not as a Sprint/Tmobile MVNO.

Back