New server build not working

SedoSan

Limp Gawd
I built up this server and it starts (all fans are on, mobo LED lights, HDD lights) but I get no video output.

Here are the components:
-> Chassis (Norco RPC4224)
-> Motherboard (X10DRI-O
-> CPU (Xeon E5-2620)
-> RAM (Samsung EEC DDR4 16x2)
-> PSU (800w+800w mini redundant PSU "R4B-800G1V2")
-> SAS expander

-> RAID card (but didn't install it yet to the mobo)

While the Mobo can have up to 2 CPU, i'm only installing 1 for the time.
The motherboard has the normal 24 pin power input but it also has 2x8 pin for additional power (I didn't connect these since my PSU only has 1x 8pin and the mobo manual says if I will use them I need to plug in both 2x8 pints and not only 1)
The mobo has a VGA output so I connected to it but it didn't work, I thought at first that the processor I have doesn't support video output, so I bought a cheap video card (ATI 5450 2gb) but that didn't work either.
All my connections are fine, all jumpers are on default. All my PCIe cards are on the CPU1 lane so nothing is connected to CPU2 PCI lanes.
I followed the troubleshooting and it said that the mobo should beep at least once when going into POST. but mine doesn't beep at all (I don't have a speaker connected to the speaker pins but there is an internal speaker on the motherboard itself so I think that itself should make a sound.)

in order to test the speaker I removed the RAM since that should trigger a 5 Beep sounds according to the manual but I got nothing.

What might be wrong?

=== Edit ===
I'm using VGA cable to connect to my monitor (which only has VGA connection).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Possibly the motherboard. BUt just to be clear: You didn't actually connect the 8Pin EPS12V connection?

Possibly the motherboard. BUt just to be clear: You didn't actually connect the 8Pin EPS12V connection?

no I did not. Manual says I have to connect both 8Pin EPS12V if I want additional power, but I only have 1 output from my PSU

no I did not. Manual says I have to connect both 8Pin EPS12V if I want additional power, but I only have 1 output from my PSU

Ok I have two hunches:
1) I have yet to see any modern desktop motherboard NOT require the 4Pin CPU or 8Pin ESP12V connector to boot. So you definitely need to connect that 8Pin connector.

2) Basically the same as the above but because your mobo uses so much power, it actually does require both 8Pin EPS12V connectors in order to power on. You can get a molex to 8Pin EPS12V adapter if you want don't want to buy a new PSU.

You need a PSU with dual 12V EPS. I have built many servers with Tyan and Supermicro boards and you must have those installed. An adapter might work.

Thanks for the reply guys, I think that might be the problem as well, I ordered the 8pin to dual 8pin from Amazon, will receive it in 3 days hopefully and update you guys.

How would that work against the molex to 8pin adapter?

Thanks for the reply guys, I think that might be the problem as well, I ordered the 8pin to dual 8pin from Amazon, will receive it in 3 days hopefully and update you guys.

How would that work against the molex to 8pin adapter?

You may not want to go 4 pin Molex -> 8 pin -> 8 pin splitter since that increases the chance of a bad connection somewhere. However it should work presuming your power supply can push enough power to the first Molex connector.

You may not want to go 4 pin Molex -> 8 pin -> 8 pin splitter since that increases the chance of a bad connection somewhere. However it should work presuming your power supply can push enough power to the first Molex connector.

My PSU already has an 8pin 12V EPS, the other 8pin will have the molex to 8pin adapter, would that be better than using the 8pin EPS to dual 8pin EPS?

I got my splitter today but that still didn't work, so I thought maybe there was a problem with my monitor even though it works for my other server, so I changed it with another one and it worked, but it showed me a post message and was stuck on it, this is the screenshot:

10955322_10155288368585603_2604258520001630405_o.jpg

All it said "System initializing, B0" I couldn't figure what was the problem, I removed the RAM modules, the PCI items, etc... but upon rebooting I didn't get any screen this time! even after putting everything back, this is getting annoying for me >.<!

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem.

=== Edit ===
I did a search and looks like B0 means "Check for error", I dunno what the error might be, RAM modules are compatible, RAM Dimms are installs in the correct positions A1 and B1,
CPU is in the correct slot, Used the correct PCI slots correspondent to the CPU1, all fans are on, all power modules are correctly installed =\

Last edited:
It finally worked, I took the whole thing apart and removed it from the chassis and placed it on a anti-static bag and reconnected the minimum requirements and now its working! :)

Last edited:
Whoa, don't leave it on a static bag as static can still travel across the bag. Leave it on a cardboard box.

But good to see some progress with your problem.

agreed cardboard boxes work great. check your chassis and standoffs and find that short.

Back