Star Trek Online to Create In-Game Memorial to Leonard Nimoy

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Leonard Nimoy died on Friday and ever since the news broke, the Internet has been mourning his passing in many different ways. Now sites are beginning to pay tribute to the actor who brought the Iconic Star Trek’s Spock to life. The most recent announcement came from Star Trek Online. The site will erect an in-game memorial to the late Leonard Nimoy to honor his work promoting and supporting the video game industry.

I liked the photo snapped from the ISS, where an astronaught was looking down at Earth giving the vulcan 'live long and prosper' sign: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...-salute-space-tribute-nimoy-article-1.2132789

Although it is a bit ironic that Nimoy was fed up with being Spock, at least for a while, and even wrote the book "I Am Not Spock". I think later he realized how important it was to fans that Spock be immortalized, and that as the actor that embodied that character, they wanted it to live on through him forever.

The sad fact though is that we've lost quite a bit of the original crew though...
3830110060_9c6aee9cc4.jpg

To be fair, Shat's rug is 84, Walter Koenig is 78, George "Oh My" Takei is 77, and Nichelle Nichols is 82.

Also, James Doohan died at age 85, and DeForest Kelley is 79.

Leonard Nimoy always asserted that he regretted the title he used for his first autobiography, since it was misconstrued that he did not like the character, which he did. He later wrote another autobiography entitled "I am Spock" to straighten out the misunderstandings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Not_Spock

.....and to clarify: DeForest Kelley was 79. He died in 1999. He was the first of the regular stars to go.

Well, what he meant from the autobiography I think is clear... not that he didn't love the Spock character, but that he wasn't JUST Spock. He was Leonard Nimoy, not Spock, and he wanted to be known as Leonard and more than just one character that he portrayed. That's why he got into making art (not very good art) and other such things to try to be known for more.

Shatner went through the same thing for a while, where he really wanted to be more than just typecast as Kirk, but what can you do.

I meant to say was. The settings for this section of forum prevent me from going back and editing. :(

Leonard Nimoy always asserted that he regretted the title he used for his first autobiography, since it was misconstrued that he did not like the character, which he did. He later wrote another autobiography entitled "I am Spock" to straighten out the misunderstandings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Not_Spock

.....and to clarify: DeForest Kelley was 79. He died in 1999. He was the first of the regular stars to go.

People are retards. I learned that from reading Internet interpretations for Peter Gabriel's song, "Big Time". So many corporate high rollers took the song as a personal, celebration... a personal anthem, a badge of honour. "Yeah I listen to this song, while I'm driving my big car, to my high paying job".

You can make it as crystal clear to people as you want, somebody is always going to misconstrue something.

Shatner went through the same thing for a while, where he really wanted to be more than just typecast as Kirk, but what can you do.

Shatner doesn't have as big a problem as Nimoy did. He's also T.J. Hooker and Denny Crane just to name a few of his more memorable roles.

I'm confused as to why Star Trek Online would do this because it's just wrong on a meta level. Leonard Nimoy was a actor who played a character in Star Trek. The events of Star Trek are historical events in "Star Trek Online", I suppose they could make it a monument to Spock...

Is STO going to have a shit-ton of lottery boxes in the shape of the casket to buy keys so you can open the right one?

Back